lancemb

Yet another 57 Roadmaster

Well, I've let the 75R coupe sit the last 6 months, but not because I had tired of it or wasn't working on a car.  Okay, maybe I did need a little break from it after a pretty solid year.  I'll be getting back to it very soon.

So, I picked this car up this spring.  I was planning on just doing some touch ups to the paint, maybe cheap-painting a couple panels, and making it a 20-footer driver.  I just couldn't resist a running and driving (but not too far for too long) all-black Roadmaster 75 for a pretty low entry fee.20180612_182806.thumb.jpg.f3571867d77e65b17c270aea3ef5df2f.jpg

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

If the driver side was as good as the passenger side, I think I would've stuck to my plan.  However, the car had been under a car port for a decade, with the driver side exposed.  The car had supposedly always been garaged before that.20180612_182846.thumb.jpg.4c46861692247e7c716a16b36edb70d8.jpg

• Like 5

The interior is pretty decent and has a beautiful dash and crack-free steering wheel.  With just over 70k miles, I was hoping not to turn this into a huge project.30839490_57755.jpg.b975dd09a711907364e06b18abed65dc.jpg

• Like 4

Unfortunately, close inspection led me to realize that the driver fender and front door had been replaced at some point, and shoddy repairs were starting to pop through.20181119_214730.thumb.jpg.891615c47bceacb4f6b8b0d11c42de09.jpg

• Sad 1

The hood was rusted and a bit banged up too.  With all this, and the flaking on other areas, I realized a complete repaint would be the only thing I'd be happy with.20181119_215347.thumb.jpg.19beaefcf363b42c339f796d0afcda87.jpg

• Sad 1

In addition, the engine compartment was a mess, and many parts had been spray-bombed with black or silver or green while completely assembled and unmasked.2038104802_577513.jpg.80870a49d22fba06fa3940df1aecd2b6.jpg258426716_577510.jpg.81d27c7b2293bab97441f943cfd18766.jpg

I was getting in too deep with this car, but I really felt it deserved better.  Being a fairly low-mileage, one family car, with pretty decent interior.  Also, after getting it on the lift, I couldn't find any rust-through anywhere on the undercarriage, rocker panels, trunk, or floorpans.  Besides a few bolt-on pieces in front and driver side that had been monkeyed with, it looks like an incredibly solid car.  I was believing the story of it having been garaged most of it's life. 

Since the front clip had to come off anyway, I figured I may as well do a halfway decent cleaning up of the engine bay.  What a mess someone made of it!  This is after the initial steam-cleaning.20180831_113030.thumb.jpg.298fcb1478339e3471762d5e4819f2c2.jpg

• Like 1

I knew when I got the car it needed a water pump so that's the first thing I did after dismantling the front clip and steam-cleaning the engine, which happily took much of the extraneous paint off the firewall.  

20181119_223019.thumb.jpg.5a702f747d39670c3ba2a00f1cb5d1d5.jpg

20180922_153404.thumb.jpg.a8f0144ba270900203ba55ea8727868c.jpg

Other than the upper grill bar that had been monkeyed with, most of these bolts came out incredibly easily and were very clean on the threads.  

20181119_222938.jpg.37dcfe9334f85adf2b053673b05ff0e5.jpg

On the grill bar, one of the studs had been replaced, would not come out of the bar, and the nut was ruined and seemingly welded to the stud after a few turns, and I could not get a nut splitter on it.  I don't know what grade of metal that stud was, but it was the hardest metal I've ever encountered.  No kidding, I ruined 2 Sawzall torch blades cutting through it.  I nearly brought myself to break the grille bar off.

I slowly began making the engine and components the correct color.  I left the brake booster after removing the black paint.  I will probably deal with that after tackling the rest of the brakes.  For now, the car stops well so I'll keep it that way.  I've changed enough of these that it's a pretty easy job now.

I touched up the firewall, cleaned up body tag, etc.  Installed rebuilt carburetor.  It's not quite factory fresh, but presentable.

Resized_20181103_174141_6486.thumb.jpeg.b82ef60b22c2cb2f543957f7c89cec2b.jpeg

• Like 4

Wow Lance!

Three '57's, man you've got it bad eh? (Ask me how I know...)

Guessing something had to go to make room in your three car garage?

The car does indeed look like it's worth the effort.

Keep us posted.

• Like 2

Yes dei I've got it bad.  I didn't have plans to keep this car too long when I got it, but I'm really falling for it.  All black with chrome is just awesome, and interior is a great color too.  Plus, I'll likely be "upside down" in it when I'm done.

So, what's next for the car?  Well naturally I called Smartin and we agreed that this car would take the coupe's spot in the queue for paint.  I still have a ton I want to do on the coupe before paint.

When I found out he'd practically be going by my house enroute to a muscle car show, it just made sense to bring it down with him.  However, it will be later in 2019 before it returns.  In the meantime I'll get back on the coupe.  Lots of exciting milestones coming on that car.

On this one, between work and family obligations and minor setbacks with the car itself, I fell a couple days short of getting it running again before it had to make the trailer train.  It just didn't make sense to make a separate trip down there for the little remaining work though.

One thing that set me back was the fuel tank.  It had a prior patch, and also looked like it was seeping again possibly.  That thing in the back is just a cool wasp nest.

20180803_181051.thumb.jpg.c5da8e10dd796eeeb789604792f8f2f7.jpg

• Sad 1

I have a nice tank I am saving for the coupe, but the one that came off it is solid, but was very badly dented (like nearly collapsed).  The radiator shop was able to cut it open and bang it out enough to make it useable, so at least it is clean and leak-free (so they tell me) and will do for now to get the car running.  It's kinda ugly, though. The bottom of it looks worse.

20181120_071608.jpg

As luck would have it, the radiator was also full of leaks.  So, it's been freshly recored with 50% greater capacity core, so should run nice and cool on those hot days.

20181120_072000.thumb.jpg.dab98dfa8229ac5e6086f1d70f61bd0e.jpg

• Like 2

So now the car will sit for awhile before any updates probably.  I'm starting back on the coupe after the new year, so should have updates in a couple months, and then hope to make steady progress again...

• Like 4

Wow she’s a beauty that all black!!! I can see why you couldn’t resist her. You’ve put a lot of time and work in her. With that nice of an interior she deserves a nice exterior as planned. Thanks for finally sharing! 

• Like 1

Thanks Lance for entrusting me with another 57! 

Depending on how the next car I have here goes, I may be able to jump on it near the beginning of the year.  If I end up painting that car, then it will be most likely mid-Summer when I start on it.  For now, it will be tucked away in the garage.

2 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Wow she’s a beauty that all black!!! I can see why you couldn’t resist her. You’ve put a lot of time and work in her. With that nice of an interior she deserves a nice exterior as planned. Thanks for finally sharing! 

Thanks!  Nothing quite looks like black and chrome.  The interior needs some minor TLC, and front seat fabric does need to be replaced.  I already got new correct fabric for the front seat insert for when the car comes back. With that and some minor cleaning up the interior will rival that of Big Blue I think!

56 minutes ago, Smartin said:

Thanks Lance for entrusting me with another 57! 

Depending on how the next car I have here goes, I may be able to jump on it near the beginning of the year.  If I end up painting that car, then it will be most likely mid-Summer when I start on it.  For now, it will be tucked away in the garage.

Nobody I'd rather entrust a beloved Buick to!

I will try to get the small miscellaneous items to you by end of January just in case.

Let me know if the parts car has a trim piece with a good tangerine paint sample on it, or if I should send you a piece.

Does anyone have suggestion on how to remove the black rattle can paint from the washer lid without damaging the silver paint underneath?  It looks like it will clean up pretty decently if I can do that...20181123_151731.thumb.jpg.22d2004bb209c768993fd2fb02850494.jpg

Clean up a small representative area and match to some acrylic enamel rattle can paint.  Use your blast cabinet (glass beads, low pressure) and strip it right.