1922 Buick Touring Door Handles needed

Mark Kikta

Mark, 

Larry and I had door handles and escutcheons cast for our cars.  You have the same door handles.  We had 24 made (6 cars).   I have 1 extra set of these rough castings (still need to be ground and polished and nickel plated).   I will not be giving up my extra set until after I get mine finished and on the car.  This could be late 2019 or the following year before I free them up.  I don't bother looking for old handle sets because they are pot metal.  I do know someone with 3 decent pot metal handles though.  My suggestion is that if you are not in a hurry,  that we take names and consider using Hildebran Castings to make a mold and pour handles.  Unfortunately, we used a foundry of lower quality and the molds are not reusable so this is not helping out the next guy.  Larry and I will make available a handle and escutcheon when you are ready to make a mold if that is how you want to go.  I do have pricing from when we were looking into this.  Having more people interested does help spread the cost.  Vintage and classic reproductions does have a handle that is close, but it is not exact.     Hugh

1547811589_doorhandleoutside.thumb.JPG.f31af726a552a4d36121804c5456cd5d.JPG

1268015878_1925BuickStandarddoorhandleandescutcheon.thumb.jpg.66739364069a1186b0ab81142fb8e7b3.jpg1622634964_Doorhandle1925BuickStd004.thumb.JPG.7c428872db7381efcb64581d8758ea4f.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Very interesting Hugh.  I have a few questions,

what would you be selling your last set for, after you finish yours?

I might even be interested in the 3 pot metal handles you spoke about.

Just thinking out of the box, did anyone look into 3-D printing these handles yet?  I spent some time with a metal fabricator that does this and they can print objects in a number of different metals?  They could even print things in a chrome metal that wouldn't needed chromed he said.

Mark

Mark :

The technology is available. But it would be at least as expensive to have it 3-D printed. I had 3-D printed some escutcheons just to use as patterns. I believe I still have some of the INVENTOR files that can be translated into the 3-D program. These Items would not be chromed they are to be nickeled. That is why we had them done in brass.