It looks like the Ohio winters won this battle

junkyardjeff

Got my old 89 Ford crown vic back from a old girlfriend after having it for about 4 years,it needed some minor work and have been tinkering with it all summer but doing the last thing on the list I noticed a large hole in the frame that was not there 2 years ago when I installed a used trans for her.    I knew its days were numbered but was hoping to get a couple more years out of it but it looks like I will have to find another body to put the drivetrain in,I do have a idea on something I can do to reinforce the frame but will see what I can get at the scrap yard.

I feel your pain. I've got a 92 Crown Vic in the driveway that has less than 50,000 miles on it. One owner, great shape except for 2 rust holes in the frame.

The metal on those frames is not much thicker than body sheet metal. That is why they rust out. One of these days I mean to weld up the holes and put mine back on the road. The whole car was undercoated and oil sprayed but there are 2 spots behind the front wheels that got washed clean by spray from the tires. That is where it rusted out.

It had been rustproofed by the dealer but they missed a bunch and its very rusty,when I bought this car 10 years ago it was advertised as having 110,000 miles but in reality it only had 10,000 miles and no one knew it. It had sat outside and looked like a typical 18 year old car but the interior looked like no one sat in it but it had a heated windshield so all I thought was winter car,I know I will never get that low mile of car for what I paid for it again and wish I would have treated it much better but I thought it was a 110,000 mile car.

I owned a 1988 Crown Vic Wagon that I bought new. I noticed that the oil pan was rotting out in 1992, to the point that I felt I could stick my finger through the pan if I pushed hard enough. Went to the dealer I bought it from and of course it was out of warranty, They had an oil pan in stock at the parts department and counter man said to me that they sell 5 or 6 a week. I felt that the worst was only going to come so I traded it in.and went back to a GM station wagon . I guess the frame explains as to why we don't see any of the late 80's early 90's Crown Vic's around for some time now

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

It had been rustproofed by the dealer but they missed a bunch and its very rusty,when I bought this car 

I have seen more than a few cars from the 80s and 90s that had rustproofing installed after the car left the factory. In many cases the rustproofing was not done correctly and that resulted in those cars rusting faster and/or more severely. The level of protection also seems to have been impacted (positively or negatively) by the type/brand of rustproofing product used.

I had one car back in that time that had a well known (at that time) brand of rustproofing done to it. It was no wonder that the company went bankrupt. My car alone had repairs under the rustproofing warranty that cost that company 4 or 5 times the original cost of the product itself. This car was also one of the examples I cite above as far as rustproofing not done correctly.

This one had a hole in the bottom of one rocker panel at 10.000 miles but since it was not driven much I presume mice could have made nests in them causing the rust there but that liquid salt done the rest,I had to pull off the trunk trim to repair holes and nothing was sprayed on the insides of the quarter panels so I presume most of the car did not get anything.

I am going to look at the scrap yard for some angle iron and use self tapping screws to reinforce the frame,I hope to get enough time out of it to find a body to put the engine and trans in. I have a truck that also has holes in the frame but not as bad and can get a few more years out of it.

11 hours ago, John348 said:

I owned a 1988 Crown Vic Wagon that I bought new. I noticed that the oil pan was rotting out in 1992, to the point that I felt I could stick my finger through the pan if I pushed hard enough. Went to the dealer I bought it from and of course it was out of warranty, They had an oil pan in stock at the parts department and counter man said to me that they sell 5 or 6 a week. I felt that the worst was only going to come so I traded it in.and went back to a GM station wagon . I guess the frame explains as to why we don't see any of the late 80's early 90's Crown Vic's around for some time now

My sister and brother in law live in your state and had a S10 Blazer get very rusty in about 5 years,I thought it was a problem in the northeast but has gotten bad around here too.

Since I have all the manuals I am trying to stay with a 89 and there is a very nice one in southern California,there is one a little north of me that needs a trans and will look at it if its still there when I get back from Florida. The inner walls of the frame is where the rust is and still is 3 sides that are not affected yet so I think screwing some angle iron will help keep it from flexing and letting the rest go,I am also going to see if my welder will do any good and it only has to last me this winter.     I would love to find a 89 from out west that needs a engine or trans and have it shipped in but I will see what is out there over the winter.

12 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

My sister and brother in law live in your state and had a S10 Blazer get very rusty in about 5 years,I thought it was a problem in the northeast but has gotten bad around here too.

Living here I have become aware of it....  I am down state so it is not as bad, but an oil pan???? On a brand new car?? The dealer had the part on the shelf as well. Everything rusts here in the NE, but these were just really prone.

7 hours ago, John348 said:

Living here I have become aware of it....  I am down state so it is not as bad, but an oil pan???? On a brand new car?? The dealer had the part on the shelf as well. Everything rusts here in the NE, but these were just really prone.

Yes 4 years is quick for a oil pan to go,11 years killed my 89 and it had most of the paint on the frame when I bought it and a weekly wash that had underbody spray would have helped to keep it going much longer which I did not do.

• 2 months later...

I sent a email and waiting on a response and will call tonight after I get home from work,if I get that car it will not be driven in the salt and will use my beater for winter driving. I need a good car that I can drive anywhere and will not let anyone else drive it like i did with mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one with 24k miles in my area (not mine). IDK about the price. More people have seen Bigfoot around here than have ever seen frame rust. Frame rust?! Oil pans?!!!! Seriously, this one might be too expensive, but come west.

https://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/d/wenatchee-1989-ford-crown-victoria/6786379241.html

89_crown_vic__01616_9wNWeejTKon_600x450.jpg.bcec2284c53472f5d7a0b4d81af7744c.jpg

1989 Ford Crown Victoria,
28,400 miles,
Strong Running Car!
V6 295 engine.
One owner,
Cloth seats,
A/C,
RWD,
Regular maintenance.
Excellent condition!

Appraised at $6,295
Priced to sell $5,995!