98 lesabre White wall question

Kevin M

So a bit newer again. I noticed when I went to put air in my tires today that the rubber in between the white wall and rim on my 98 lesabre was coming off. I’ve had these tires on both of by lesabre’s and haven’t experienced this before. The rubber in between the white wall and the rim is coming off it appears to be a top layer and there is more underneath. 

Basically is it safe to drive long distances or should I take a trip to the tire store tomorrow? I don’t know how long it’s been like this. I don’t think more than a day or two. Pics related. It’s only one wheel this is happening. 

07FBB675-D3A3-4CB6-BDFA-FE93A1E2EFA4.jpeg

24E5038D-1B33-4AF1-B675-87C25CF23C11.jpeg

If those tires are more than 6 years old, then I would replace them all.  If less then just replace the one.

Actually, I'd probably replace at least two now and then two as soon as practical later on.  Blow outs are not fun...

• Thanks 1

I bought 5 tires that are Generals last year for mine.

Granted the white wall is a bit narrower than my old radial tires but the price was right and they were date coded as new.

IMG_4005.thumb.JPG.d7f287811dbead98f66a9be5d025d7c8.JPG

If price was no object my next choice would have been Michelin's and of course there are choices from Coker...

3 hours ago, Kevin M said:

The window sticker from mavis says 2011 and 40k miles ago so I was planning on doing it soon. I figured this was bad. Now to see if anyone still makes white walls

I got a great deal on some Hankook white side walls at (don't laugh) my local Wal-Mart.  Hankook H724 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always best to buy tires away from the repro tire vendors, so the price stays more reasonable for what they're being used for.

The tires that can still be had in whitewalls are usually toward the lower end of the current product rankings, compared to the "top line" tires.  BUT even at that, they are probably better tires than what came on the cars when they were new.

I believe that the last whitewall radial that Michelin built was the Symmetry radial whitewalls, but that was nearly 20 years ago, now.

The Hankook H724 whitewalls have had some favorable comments in other forums that I look at.

NTX5467

You can get any size white wall you want from Diamondback tires, on any tire.  Your tires are 15-inch, I think, so you might find narrow whitewalls from one of the regular tire manufacturers yet.  I'm looking at a 92 Park Avenue with black tires.  White tires would look a lot better.  I just don't remember what width they used in 1992....probably one inch.  My Dad's 1991 came with whitewalls new.  The 16-inch tires  would be much harder to find.