Sign in to follow this  
Dave@Moon

What were they thinking? --Car Names

That "Burgess" would have at least 500 horsepower (if you complain about gas milage, you need not order..), independent suspension all around.....wait a minute, Chevy already makes that, a Corvette, right? cool.gifgrin.gif

Wayne

Many long years ago, when I wasn't nearly as smart as I am today, I actually owned a few foreign cars. That mistake hasn't been repeated in over 30 years, so I feel vindicated...! I'm sort of a reborn virgin..!

Back to the subject. I was always fascinated by the transmission in my '56 Healy Le Mans.... Manufactured by "La cock de Normansville"...! I won't guarantee the spelling, but you get the idea.......

The English should get the prizes for odd names. The Humber Super Snipe, (a luxury car) the Scott Flying Squirrel (a 2 stroke motorcycle).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Moskowitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...or even a "Moskowitz" and it would sell! grin.gif </div></div>

Just don't let the person that put your name tag on your golf cart two years ago be the one to make the car nameplate. crazy.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TG57Roadmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mr. Hummer, let me introduce you to the

Hillman <span style="font-style: italic">MINX</span>.

TG </div></div>

that wasnt......

I raise you the panel van version the Hillman Husky

The honourable orientals are charmingly blessed in the malapropriate choice of words of other languages that sound nice for model identification of their cars. Mitsubishi's long usage of "Pajero" for their 4 wheel drive is one of the rudest accusations that you can make to a Spaniard. Does owning one mean that you are one???? A friend here of Italian descent says that a differently insulting Italian word for someone despicable is "kaforne", pronounced :caf-orn-ay". That might be a good name option for an oriental car.

Ivan Saxton

It's funny that you mention Hillman Husky. Although I've never seen one, my dad had one in his younger days with a Chevy 265 V8 that he use to drag race.

How 'bout those new Chinese cars that imploded in our gov't crash tests? The "Brilliance BS6". A car built scarily like a tin can......so we can have more Guiness? BRILLIANT!!!! haha

I really get a laugh out of the names used for monster SUV like Escalade but the funniest to date has to be the Nissan "Armada". It conjures up a huge Spanish galleon in my mind and we do need a Francis Drake to sink this fleet!

From the Rabbit to the Touareg to the Phaeton (we all know how to say it right, but try visiting your local dealer and seeing how he does...it's fun), Volkswagen wins all-around as far as I'm concerned.

If Ford had accepted any of Marianne Moore's suggestions for the Edsel, we would have a unanimous winner. According to Wikipedia they included such beauts as "Intelligent Whale," "Andante con Moto" (James Bond villain?), "Varsity Stroke" (now appearing at your local XXX theater), "Utopian Turtletop," "Turcotinga," and my personal favorite, "Mongoose Civique."

Don't forget many of those odd names came from the name of the creator of them. Hupmobile--R. C. Hupp, also the RCH; Oldsmobile--the cars were brand new but named for Ransom E. Olds, also the Reo;Dort--Dallas Dort, etc. I always thought Alldays and Onions was one of the worst names but I think it was also named for the men that began it. Absolutely fitting was the Charade; the biggest lie ever put on an autombile had to be "Yugo!" It was one of the least-going cars I ever knew of.

Jay 1124

That's cool! It would be interesting to know which one will last the longest; you taking care of yourself or the Buick with you taking care of it. Best of luck.

Actually this message did not concern names but was for the young man with the Buick. I love to see the younger generation taking care of cars in a responsible way.

Jay 1124

How about a Gremlin. Gee, just what I want under the hood - more GREMLINS! ugh

And as far as new cars, Murano sounds too close to <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Moron</span></span>o. crazy.gif

One that struck me as an odd name from a marketing standpoint is the new Nissan Rogue.

Rogue? A dishonest person, vagrant, an outcast.

What were they thinking?

Rogue also describes an animal living apart from its herd. Using that definition, I can see where it kind of ties into what Nissan says was the purpose of the name

According to Nissan:

"The Rogue name was chosen to reflect its independence-oriented positioning"

What about NoVa, the name that had to be changed for Spanish-speaking markets?

I have always been surprised at Mustang, a wild, untamed and therefore unpredictable horse.

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (no problems with that model name!), San Francisco

I believe Mr. Moskowitz mentioned Oldsmobile spending a lot of time, money and effort on their car names. I wonder how much they spent on Achieva? That always struck me as strange.

Then there's the Chevy Citation... why not just call it the Chevy Traffic Ticket? I bet quite a few cops made some choice remarks when writing up those.

The Ford Aspire was pretty strange, too. Might as well have a bumper sticker that said "some day I'll have a bigger car."

While we are talking about strange names.

Can anyone tell me the meaning of Kodak and how the word came to exsist?

(it's car related, we take photos of them)

oops my bad. I used related which (by terms nova was defined in a post by someone else) means to be late again (re-late);)

Someody mentioned the Mitsubishi Pajero (Montero in the USA & Spanish countries.)

For clarification, in Spanish, Pajero is a rather nasty slang term to describe somebody.

I'll let the links fill in the details....

http://chameleon-translations.com/Index-Companies-pajero.shtml

http://chameleon-translations.com/Index-Companies-pajero-feedback.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Pajero

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While we are talking about strange names.

Can anyone tell me the meaning of Kodak and how the word came to exsist?

(it's car related, we take photos of them) </div></div>

According to Wikipedia:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The letter "K" had been a favorite of Eastman's, he is quoted as saying, "it seems a strong, incisive sort of letter". He and his mother devised the name Kodak with an anagram set. He said that there were three principal concepts he used in creating the name: it should be short, one cannot mispronounce it, and it could not resemble anything or be associated with anything but Kodak. It has also been suggested that "Kodak" originated from the suggestion of David Houston, a fellow photographic inventor who held the patents to several roll film camera concepts that he later sold to Eastman. Houston, who started receiving patents in 1881, was said to have chosen "Nodak" as a nickname of his home state, North Dakota (NoDak).[5] This is has been contested by other historians, however, who cite that Kodak was trademarked prior to Eastman buying Houston's patents.[6]</div></div>

Nissan is not the first with Rogue. AMC used it for an upscale Rambler 2 door hardtop. I always wondered about Mercury Mystique. It just seemed awful close to "mistake".

Ed

According the folks at George Eastman's estate in Rochester, NY, it was concieved by him (and probably his mother too as they were very close). They needed a word to preceed Kodiak and at the time it would place it at the middle of the dictionary.