Head light sizes

Jim Nelson

How do you measure head light size.   ?10” ,   ?  9.25”,   ?  7”.          Exposed len’s ?     What size is my head light on my ‘38’ ?  (6” exposed glass within chrome ring.   ? My ‘35’ has 8” exposed lens within the chrome mounting ring.    If I were to buy new lights,  how do I  know what to ask for ?     

• 2 weeks later...

jpage has sound advice , let us know what car you are talking about and a series if the make (??) had more then one on offer in that particular year. Ford had the regular V8 on offer and then also a smaller model in the thirties so that is one example of a choice as to what we have to guess you may own. Buick had several different series on offer as did Cadillac...............................help us with more information so we can try to help you .

I could be wrong, but I think that the Original Poster is asking if there is a standard way of measuring the diameter of a headlight, regardless of the make of vehicle.  I just always measured the outside diameter of the glass, but now I'm not so sure that's the proper way to do it.  Does anyone on this thread know of a standard of measurement for headlights?

Cheers,

Grog

Well,  I think I know the answer to my hear light question.   Every manufacturer designed his own light lens assembly. .   Only the bulb inside was a standard.   I believe there were two light bulb manufacturers.   Just like the light bulbs used on the dash board, tail lights etc.   Only the housings varied to the designers idea.    If Ibreak one on my ‘38’ Buick Special,  I will need to find an identical len’s , right or left side since they are differnt.    Thanks guys for your feedback.