Want opinions Best looking Cars from the early 1950's n the later 1950's

StylishOne

I had a 1955 Packard Patrician like this only, white and dark blue.

The longer it has been gone the more I like it. The engine needed a rebuild at the time. If I had dropped in a 472 Cadillac I would still be driving it. I do not like the '56 model.

image.thumb.png.cdfccab71f429ccecc46597cca977cb6.png

I screwed up and missed buying this car,

fi138_cgi.jpg.e525c454525bfb0aff6acf88b68b052d.jpg

A '54 Packard Pacific that came out of the Jones family (Shirley's Dad) It was a little cobbled but has the presence I like in a car.

But the foreign gets my big vote. An S Series Bentley Flying Spur is at the top of my overall list.

image.png.05e6a78a98effd2e3f93ced976882769.png

19 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Enjoy your fat fined cars. Bob 

I do!?

I've always drew a line between "cool" and "beautiful" / "best looking"; the former being more subjective and the latter more universal in my mind.

With that said, IMO the '56 300-B is one of the finest stylistically balanced cars of the '50s.

56 300-B 00.jpg

• Like 5

For American cars I will agree with the 1953 Studebaker Starliner.  Back in the last 60s a high school friend had one in the exact color combination in JamesR's posting above.  

For European cars I am going with the 1954 - 55 MGTF.  Last of the old style MGs, but in my opinion a beautiful car.

I too give my unequivocal vote to the 1953-54 Studebaker Starliner (it was my first car in 1961). In the era of rather unimaginative shoe box design of the early 50's the Studebaker's styling shines like a jewel. Another interesting fact-that post Classic era, where many of the great car designs were penned by a single stylist.  This beautiful design has been credited to a single individual, Bob Bourke. Studebaker also chose to put the car into production basically as drawn.  It's not that I dislike other cars from the early 50's, but your question was about beautiful styling. 

1956 300B 1955 C300

1956 lincoln

1956-57 Mark II

• Like 1

My first car was a 53 Champion. I paid 12 bucks at a pot lot in South Tacoma. (no brakes)

I would buy another one but it would have to be nicer than that first one.

I did get about 10,000 miles out of it though. The brake parts doubled my investment.

I left it along side of the road with the title on the front seat.

I saw it in a wrecking yard a few months later.

That was in the mid sixties.

12 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I know where a twin to this car is stashed away. I was going to buy it when a '53 Jaguar intercepted the sale. It is one of three cars that are off the radar and I never say a word to anyone about.

image.png.54448194d55976ef4114c2942dd6f339.png

Go for it, Bernie! You'll love it.

I bought this '56 Windsor Town & Country for my wife last spring and I have to say, it's grown on me quite a bit, particularly from the rear. Mid-50s Mopars are really good road cars. That wagon drives like a million bucks! Probably the best old car I've ever purchased. Smooth, fast, quiet, comfortable. We're adding A/C this winter and then it'll be as modern-feeling as my Cadillac CTS wagon. Melanie drives it every day when the weather is nice and even some days when it isn't. It's just a car, right? I also think they represent a HUGE bang for the buck--you guys would fall over dead if I told you how inexpensive that wagon was.

Chrysler4.thumb.jpg.badbcc3dce7a158005078260979e1d7c.jpg Chrysler45.thumb.jpg.867cb484a688a45e3a6731aaf76a61a2.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Love the wagon Matt, color notwithstanding! Found one like it thirty years ago, I can't remember if it was a New Yorker, or Windstor, but rust free NW car and a decent driver, but for some reason I passed on it. The guy also had a Windsor convertible, two of them as a mater of fact. I passed on that too because it didn't have the hemi. What was I thinking! Maybe too many choices, but should have grabbed one of them.

On 11/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, John348 said:

There have been 50 posts and for the most part 50 different opinions

I’m surprised at the number of Chrysler products from the mid 1950s showing up on the list.  They seem to be a good value for the $$$.

Funny how our tastes change as we mature, and find other elements to admire, or fall out of favor with.  Yet some styles endure through our lives, and speak to us always.

For me here are a few that hold the test of time..

53 Skylark the proportions don't get weird with time, has a bold eagerness that says sporty.  

Oddly I like most cars from 1956. Especially: Imperial , Lincoln, Buick n Caddy, it's a hard to choose.

For me hands down in 59 I love a Buick Cpe or flat top. Those clean space age lines get me,  while 58 Sevilles are a childhood car I like very much, but the wildness of a 58 Lincoln Convert still amazes me to this day!

I am seeing a few cars that have broad appeal, others more personal.

While the 1956 Thunderbird resembles the '55, the practical and styling changes made to the 1956 model make it one of the most sophisticated mid-century designs.  The '56 Thunderbird received an optional 312 cu. in Y-block V-8

engine, porthole hardtop, opening vent doors in the front fenders and the externally mounted Continental--style spare tire.  These changes together with the upgraded 12 volt electrical system refined the overall design of the '55 model.

DSCN2014 (2).JPG