Finally made the trip to Florida to pick up my 1922 Buick

Mark Kikta

We are finally pulling the old gal out of her resting place after 30+ years.  I could not believe we were able to pull her out of that shed with no issues other than keeping the car from falling through the rotten floor.  My wife took over 100 pictures that I need to sort through. Here are just a couple.  We loaded the car on the trailer on Sunday and spent the last two days driving home through driving thunderstorms most of the way. 

!cid_bb30e4be-09e7-4939-b9f1-3c4547f7e632@namprd19_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_e1c39803-fa92-4d34-97f5-6439ef7884b6@namprd19_prod_outlook.jpg

• Like 3

Here are a few more pictures. The rear wheels were in fabulous shape.  We took the windshield off for the trip home in the storms.  It was much easier to cover the car without the windshield in place.

!cid_9c84dfc8-67e5-4f36-a3cb-f76a086c7da0@namprd19_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_8b27ed88-12e2-4053-955c-daf44940d4c8@namprd19_prod_outlook.jpg

!cid_9e8c46f8-e3d4-4710-9abf-2e0a24b24a07@namprd19_prod_outlook.jpg

• Like 1

Mark,  Thanks for the photo,s.  Its great to see a car coming out of hibernation.  The car certainly looks in much better shape than the old trailer it was stored in.  I guess keeping it up off the ground would have been a big factor.  Keep us posted on your plans.

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It doesn't look so bad after I uncover it and blow it out.  I have the windshield intact but I removed it for the 70 mph trip home.  The car is finally resting safely in my garage.  Can't wait to work on it !!!

!cid_e3ebdf3b-b4c7-4c05-9726-b736691b834d@CANPRD01_PROD_OUTLOOK.jpg

!cid_2b67c38c-91ce-4218-96e6-06ac83a5d914@namprd19_prod_outlook.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Having a title/bill of sale for a year earlier than the actual model year was not unusual in the day.  

Many states/ localities titled the car in the year it was sold.  My '18 truck originally came with a '17 title even though Buick never made any factory trucks in '17. 

I took documentation to the Mich Secretary of state and they changed the title to the correct model year.  It was about $10.00 if I remember correctly.  

Thank you Rod W and Larry for that information.  I haven't gone to DMV yet to get the title in my name but maybe they will correct it for me.  I know when I titled the 1939 Chev I have in Florida the first time in 1978, they only titled cars without VIN Numbers by engine number.

Mark,

Your car should have a chassis "VIN" number unless someone removed it from the car. Usually to get the title & year right you will need to have the vehicle inspected by a police officer and sign a form saying he looked at the car.  Then take some documentation to the state office like a book showing the serial numbers "VIN" which I believe is in the "Seventy Years of Buick" along with pictures and any other related information that you find and the form.

If you want copies of the original Buick Factory Records, I can scan the page you need and send that to you also.  I copied them from the Buick executive offices when I worked for Buick.  I told that I could copy them at that time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Larry,

I would love to have a copy of the Buick records page you copied that applies to my car.  My car does have the serial number on the back rear left frame near the gas tank. That's the same number that is currently on the title, but they call it a 1921. I should probably get a policeman to witness it and sign a form before I go to DMV like you said.  That's very interesting that you copied those pages from Buick.  How long did you work for them and in what capacity?

• 1 year later...