Ignition Relay - 68 Riv

Jim65Riv

On a '68 Riviera the ignition relay, or whatever you want to call it, is located mid-way on the steel centre support bracket behind the dash panel.

It is secured to the centre bracket with one, or two sheet metal screws that ground the metal cased relay.

You can hear an audible relay click on or off, whenever  the ignition switch is turned on or off.

It's s bit of a chore to access, as the ash tray, centre heater/ac ducts, and radio must also be removed.

If you can hear the audible relay 'click' it's probably working. 

• Like 1

If 68 is wired same as 67, I believe the relay Randy is referring to is for the power windows. It does click on when key is turned to the on position. In 67 Buick added a relay to enable the power window circuit when the key was on and it is located up under dash on firewall. In 66 the key did not need to be on to operate windows.

No morning coffee yet but if memory serves I could never find this relay on the 67 color wiring diagram as Paul linked but it is referenced in other parts of the 67 manual specific to PW wiring and in fact its referred to as "ignition relay" but only in reference in enabling the PW circuit, not the engine ignition system.

I do not believe there is a relay specific to enabling the ignition circuit for engine as Tom T stated.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, which is now codified at 49 U.S.C. ch. 301

"The basic requirements of FMVSS No. 118 are enumerated in paragraph S4 of the standard. They include the fundamental requirement that power windows must not be operable unless the vehicle's ignition switch is in the “On,” “Start,” or “Accessory” position. In this way, the standard provides a simple means (i.e., ignition key removal) by which a vehicle's windows can be disabled and thus safeguarded from accidental closure. Paragraph S4 does specify a few exceptions where power windows may close without the vehicle's ignition being turned on (e.g., by use of a limited-range remote control), but each exception is specified in such a way that safety can still be assured"

12 hour shifts in Saudi Arabia...Yeah, I'm that bored.  ?

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 3

It is indeed the power window relay Jason, and has nothing to do with ignition,  other than the relay only works via the ignition switch.

The ignition switch must be turned to ACCY, ON, or RUN to operate the power windows!

If that relay doesn't work,  power windows no worky either !

Tom T  is correct - there is no ignition relay.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 2