Is it OK to start the engine 'without' waiting for the 'Engine Diagnostics' & 'Accumulator Ball' to Fill?

ski.dive

If Dave does it, it must be okay?  He has put more miles on our rides than anyone I have ever heard of. Seriously, there is no connection between the engine and brakes, but I do make a habit of putting my foot on the brakes when shifting into gear, partly because of the interlock on newer cars (habit) but also to be sure I have brakes before moving.

I start my engine immediately but I usually wait for the brake lights to go out before driving.  The reason I start the engine immediately is because I normally have the fog lights turned on all the time - which also keeps parking lights and taillights on all the time. The brake pump and all those lights burning is a big draw on the battery without the motor running.

44 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I start my engine immediately but I usually wait for the brake lights to go out before driving.  The reason I start the engine immediately is because I normally have the fog lights turned on all the time - which also keeps parking lights and taillights on all the time. The brake pump and all those lights burning is a big draw on the battery without the motor running.

Same here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2seater said:

If Dave does it, it must be okay?  He has put more miles on our rides than anyone I have ever heard of. Seriously, there is no connection between the engine and brakes, but I do make a habit of putting my foot on the brakes when shifting into gear, partly because of the interlock on newer cars (habit) but also to be sure I have brakes before moving.

Thanks 2seater. I do rack up the miles. However these cars are so well designed. If it wouldn't be for the headlights and accumulator/brake pump issue we would have very few posts. I also like the idea of just dropping the tranny into gear without the brake. Of course I try the brakes as I'm going down the driveway. 

I'm sorry you won't be able to stop over for some time to see the latest edition to the stable, as I will be leaving the car at Bob's house for a check over and then winter storage. It will be out this spring unless something happens to the Black. 

• 2 weeks later...