Sign in to follow this  
wellis66

Tires on a 24 WK-64 - 32 or 33?

I am getting ready to order new tires for my 1924 Willys Knight, and I read through a couple of threads about tire sizes and types.  Before I plunk down a lot of money for something I can't use, I thought I would ask here.
Today I have 32x4 on the rims. I assume that they are OK, since they look like they have been there for a long time. The spare looks to be from the 1950s - no tread and really hard so maybe older - and it is also 32x4 according to the sidewall.
So by my calculations the rims must be 24 (32-4-4=24) so that would mean 32x4 (24+4+4=32) or 33x4.5 (24+4.5+4.5=33) or 34x5 (24+5+5=34). I realize that if I wanted the speedo to be somewhat accurate this would not be the approach, but I am sure that I am not planning on going quickly but I would be interested in the ride quality. I assume more tire will allow for better bumping..
I would love people's comments..

32X4 is correct for your car and will look right. Other sizes my fit but aren't really necessary. Your car will ride like an antique whatever you use at 80 PSI.

As they are a pain to install plan to do the job only once - it helps tube longevity to talcum powder the tubes, flaps, and tire casing (Johnson's baby powder - scented works well enough as real tire talk is pretty hard to come by).  For tubes - just throw tube in a plastic bag and shake (same per each flap).

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

In addition to the above, if using metal valve stems, make sure that are installed properly and sealed to the rubber enough to not leak.