Thanks to all for our freedom today

Modeleh

In Canada, November 11th is known as Rememberance Day.  The Veterans who enlisted for all allied nations are certainly at the forefront of our mind today for the great sacrifices they made to provide the freedom we all enjoy today to live a lifestyle of our choice, many here who enjoy the preservation of old vehicles and machines.

I just wanted to also note and thank all the men and women who weren’t technically veterans but did their part to ensure the allied forces were supported.  The factory workers, the farmers and fishermen, the loggers and construction workers who might never have been on the front lines but did what was needed of them by their country when it needed them the most.

I had my grandfathers roadster out today, thought a great reason to get it out for some exercise.  He was 15 in 1941 and didn’t enlist, but he got a job working on the Alcan Highway which was completed in ‘42 to link Alaska by road to British Columbia and therefore the lower 48 states.  He told me he learned how to oxy acetylene weld while working on the highway job, a skill he used later in the 60s when he restored the roadster. It was finished in 1967 and today turned 3195 miles since restoration.  

0EC2934C-166E-44E0-9D48-58FD1D5B1D9F.thumb.jpeg.73720dd30a99f855de582af9e8d3e9ea.jpeg

• Like 2