Restoration project 1928 Boyer Gramm Special fire truck

After some cleaning, I decided to order a gasket kit from Olson’s. It came in late last week. The reason I decided to to replace the gaskets was I started seeing a lot of blue rtv. At some point someone has replaced the block and didn’t replace the gaskets. Also some were leaking. I stood the engine up one the bell housing to pull the pan so I could clean it and any oil that was left ended up on the floor. After pulling the pan, it was. The rear main seal that was the cause. To change it, I needed to pull the flywheel, and bell housing off to get the crank out so I could get the new seal and seal holder back into the grove. I was able to get the seal and holder in as well as the crank back in. The bearings all look good. I have the front cover and pan back on. I’ll be cleaning up the bell housing and flywheel tomorrow so I can get it right side up so the head can go back on. I have already painted the pan so once it gets uprighted, I won’t have to paint it. I have the intake and water pump painted as well. I’m hoping to have it all put back together and painted soon. The frame needs some attention before I can put it back in. Til next time. Mike

I was able to get the engine right side up last night. Then I put the flywheel housing on. Cleaned up and and mounted the oil filter base. Tonight i had to help my neighbor with his campers water heater. Then hang a couple of lights in the garage. Then dinner and then I was able to get to work on the engine. I was able to get the head back on with the help from my daughter. She stuck around and learned how to use a torque wrench. She torqued the rocker arm shaft down for me. Then it was time to put it to bed till tomorrow. 

AD26D686-C43B-4CEE-B820-E1DBCED621F7.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

After a week plus cleaning the engine and transmission, it got a coat of paint. Then I was able to get the manifolds and water pump back on. Yesterday I worked on getting the motor mounts back in. I also put the steering box in, it has to go in before the engine. I got the engine to marry back to the trans after about an hour. Started installing them back into the frame, but walked away after a couple hours with no success. I went out this morning and removed the trans. Loosened up the rear mount and it finally sat into the mounts. Then it was tighten up the mounts and reinstall the trans which went right in. Then it was back to cleaning up more parts and painting them. It’s slow going, but for the most part is quite relaxing after a long day at work. Turn the tunes on and pop the top on a beverage and relax 

DFCB6899-7EAA-44D2-9B75-D9F182DFF3DB.jpeg

8833B563-902A-44C1-9380-566B25CDD142.jpeg

• Like 10
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of pic type progress, just a lot of cleaning of parts. I did get a new tool in to bend up some new metal. The boss has already asked me to bend up some on the next big job. So it will pay for itself in the long run. It’s a bolston 48” pan and box brake. The base is 1 1/2 X 1/4 angle. I’m hoping to have some pics soon. Mike

5AAA0537-EE75-4B94-A722-B193497D409C.jpeg

• Like 1

After work Tuesday, I switched vehicles, I have a company van I drive home, and headed to the bearing shop. I was surprised that I can still get all the bearings I need for the transfer case and fire pump. I really wasn’t surprised by the price, about 2K for all of them. They should be here by the end of the week. 

I was able to get the seals out for the water side of the pump, just need to find a place to get them. They are definitely not what I expected to see. They are rubber and brass. I’ll have to take a pic after work today so you all can see it. Mike

11 hours ago, r1lark said:

Looks like you are moving right along Mike. But that bill for the bearings, wow!  😮

That bill is for 14 bearings and 4 races. The biggest one I found online for about 200. It’s more than I thought, but not surprised at all. 

The only that’s of concern at this point is one has a hole in it that the new one might not have. I’ll cross that bridge when I see the new one. Mike