Mike "Hubbie" Stearns

Restoration project 1928 Boyer Gramm Special fire truck

Mike, seeing since you’re repowering, I would also use the trans that fits the new engine. It will be much easier and cost effective than fitting the original trans and fixing that original clutch. 

Well after much discussion on repowering, I purchased an international RD450. The engine was located in Colorado. Well the wife and I took a road trip that started Saturday. We even got a bonus as the Cubs were playing in Denver at Coors Field. We are big Cubs fans. Bummer they lost on Monday, but was a good game. Then it was off to pick it up on Tuesday. Once we got it loaded it was time to head home. We had never driven out west and enjoyed the trip. Did get into some rain on Tuesday night and Wednesday. Other than stopping every couple of hours to stretch and use the restroom, all in all not a bad trip. Got home Wednesday about 8 pm. We made good time. We spent some time doing some time cleaning up the garage then time to unload. It's going to take some time to get it cleaned and mounted in its new home

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That will do it! I don't think the untrained eye will ever know that's not the original engine.

After trying to pick up the engine with my father in laws tractor unsuccessfully, I just couldn't wait. Spent the day gathering material to make motor mounts and fitting in the new engine. I did get the rear engine mount, but will need to make a new bracket to mount it to the frame. I did get it where it needs to be side to side and I think front to back as well as up and down. It really took more time than I thought it would. I have started to make the front mount, but will need to get some more material. It does sit lower than I thought also. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After a long dat at work, Maggie and I tacked up some pieces for the motor mounts. I held the pieces and she tacked them. She is a whole lot better than I am at welding as that is what she does for a living. I spent the rest of tonight getting the angles figured out so she can take to work and cut them. We are planning on welding the up on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Sunday afternoon, mags and I met at her work so she could weld up the rear mounts as well as part of the front one. I spent the rest of the day cutting angles and tanking the front mount together. I have the rears in, just not bolted to the frame. The last two nights I was able to get the front all tacked up. Mags is going to weld it up tomorrow. Then it will get put back in so I can check the front to back location before I bolt it in. I'm getting closer to hearing it come to life

image.jpeg

Today Maggie stayed after work and welded up the front mount. She also a added some gussets. I think it looks great. Mags really done a great jod making it look like something that would have been made back then. It's been about a year and a half since there has been a good engine between the frame rails. It won't be long now before I can hear it run. I've been thinking about how to mount the clutch and brake pedal. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Last night I got the front engine mount installed. I needed to check the front to back alinement, so I installed the firewall and the radiator. I'm planning on 2" of clearance between the fan and radiator. I had to move the engine about an inch forward. I also need to check the hood alinement next. That will be tomorrow. Then it will be time to drill the frame and bolt the mounts in. 

I also got the pillow block in the mail. They will be used for the clutch and brake pedals. Just need to finalize the design.  I talked to a buddy to get the name of a person/company who can modify the drive shaft to work with the newer engine and transmission. I just need to finish up the mounting of the mounts so I can pull some measurement. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Just an update. After a short work week, the holiday and camping and fishing with my family and another long, hot work week, I was able to get the radiator plumbed up and filled. It took about 10 gallons to fill the radiator and engine. I also cleaned the needle and seat because there was a gas leak. I started it up to see if I was going to have to make it a pressure system. After running it for a while I checked the temp on the engine radiator outlet at 163. Then checked it at the bottom radiator outlet at 84. These were taken with the engine at an idle. I'm pleased with the results. I'm going to rebuild the carb. It does sound good, but can tell it had sat for sometime before I got the engine. It doesn't have a good throttle response to it. 

I also have been working on the brake and clutch. I've got the brake hooked up, but still working on the clutch

• Like 1

Does the carb have an accelerator pump? If so, I’d check that out along with all the orifices in that circuit, but you probably already suspect that.