1906 Version of Hemmings

Terry Bond

Picked up this little gem recently.  It's a paper publication by Times Square Automobile Company, a division of the well-known Times Square auto parts and accessory company.  There are 46 pages of cars for sale, many that you've probably never heard of before.  Too bad we can't travel back in time with a pocket full of money and bring some home.   I wonder if any of these cars survived and are restored today?

Terry

1906 Version of HMN cover.jpg

1906 Version of HMN page forum size.jpg

Terry, thank you for sharing that with us, it is just a wonderful item and a great way to view that era. The West side of Manhattan ( aka New York City) was the focus of the automobile activity prior to WWII. It had an active RR system ( today has been reworked into the Highline pedestrian trail which is really cool to walk the length of) plus many coachwork firms, auto repair buildings for dealerships, and many showrooms for car sales . 57th street was particularly active with auto related activity and companies, as was Columbus Circle at the SW corner of Central Park ( the Cadillac, Franklin cars had showrooms there and Packard was a few blocks north at 61st street) A walking tour of Manhattan to view locations of auto related business ( if the buildings still look reasonably like they did pre WWII) will take place next Spring. Myself and my good  friend Richard Lentinello of Hemming's Classic Car magazine will lead the tour. We had plans to do it in October of this year ,  but my health and recovery from surgery did not allow that to happen as planned.

Bob

As soon as I get the locations of the buildings that are sill worthy enough to look at I will let all know; finding the address then googling it for a street view to make sure some modern glass and aluminum hasn't taken the place of a grand automotive structure is the issue. Takes a lot of time. We need to find a place to have lunch at as well and group size may have to be limited as we would get in trouble if we had 50+ people clogging up a sidewalk and looking at a building as I comment "this is where they sold Hispano Suizas, and Clark Pease was the salesman"  that H-S building by the way remains in fine order and looks like it did in 1927. Most of what we will be viewing will be related to American built vehicles. Walt