'36 Truck Windshield Seal

eulcon

Looking for the correct windshield seal for a '36 dodge 1/2 ton  crank out windshield ... the one that seals the windshield frame to the cab.

Every search I do shows a different seal. My truck's seal is long gone, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Picture of the shape would be a lot of help.

Thanks!

Call Restoration Specialties in Pa at 814-467-9842 or look at their website at restorationspecialties.com as they show 2 possible seals. One is no. 2897 which has a small inner flap and no. 2897A which is a little thinner , longer and has no secondary flap. Most likely it will be no. 2897A. It is of good quality and much less expensive than some other suppliers and can be bought by the foot. This is the outer frame to body seal.  I don't know if the trucks used an inner seal like the cars did but I suspect not. If you call, ask for Jeff. Good hunting. Their catalog shows the profile and they will send a free sample if you ask.

• Like 1

This should be the correct shape...'37 and '38 used this.

DCM Classics carries this and has them at the correct length. 

Keep in mind pictured is the outer Gasket, there is also an inner flat gasket as well.

It acts as sort of a gap filler.

Both part links are below.

Outer - https://dcmclassics.com/weather-stripping/219-rw-166-outer-windshield-frame-seal.html

Inner - https://dcmclassics.com/weather-stripping/218-rw-102-inner-windshield-gasket.html

Hope this helps.

IMG_4365 (002).jpg

The 2897A-WS from Restoration Specialties looks the closest to what I remember the remains of the original(?) '38 gasket looking  like. I still have some of it somewhere, I'll try to find it and confirm. I still need to get a gasket, too. the one from DCM classics is listed for '39- '47, and looks different. someone on Ebay, "mopar- direct" sells what they claim is the correct kind, their cross section looks the same as Restoration Specialties  . Restoration Specialties does seem to have the best price, so probably what i'll  go with.

Edited by 38rcdodge (see edit history)

Now I get it !!

Boy do I feel stupid ... I didn't see the grove because it looks filled in.

I started picking where the grove should be, and it's filled with the tab from an old hardened seal that somebody painted over.

This all makes sense now!!

I guess the next step is to take it off, clean it up and get a seal ... at least I know what I'm looking for now.

Thanks again for the help!

9 minutes ago, 38rcdodge said:

Nothing stupid about it,   I just got done rebuilding the frame, so am very familiar with it. although I am still not sure what the right seal is... they do all seem to be a little different. I'm starting to think DCM Classics is closest now. 

'36, '37 and '38 are basically the same in many ways....so unscrew the four tapered screws in the side center, on each side, and release the block inside the track, both halves should come apart. I had to use a drill to get my screws out, they had rusted.

I have searched and purchased many items online from various vendors trying to save a buck or two...9 times out of 10, I always get the right part/fit/feel from DCM the first time...they may not be the cheapest, but they save me a bunch of time...I do not have to worry about if its right.

Steve and Todd are also rebuilders so they know exactly what we are up against....rust, oil, rats, broken glass....they even can provide step by step instructions if you need it....good guys.

(This is not a paid endorsement and is my own opinion)

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

Yeah I think you're right. theirs does look the most like the original, now that I found it and look at the cross section.  I know what you mean about having to drill the screws out. if the screws are all that were rusty you are lucky :D . I had to do much welding and fabricating, on the top half in particular.

Sorry to hear that. they do show up on ebay occasionally. one thing I do know, '36's are different than 37-38, at least on top, the corners are sharper. so watch out for that.  I ended up welding mine up, but it was not easy. what you have looks far better than what I had to work with though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eulcon said:

Been working on the windshield frame ...😲

The bad news is that the bottom portion is rotted much much worse then I originally thought 😥

Any ideas where I can find a new one? (or am I just dreaming again)

You can try Linda here, https://www.ramreproductions.com/  last time I talked to her she had a '35 & '36 frame....