Twelve Dilapitated Lincolns 1925 to 1938

• 1 month later...

He states that the reserve is $66,000 but there's a buy-it-now of $84,000. I'd be very interested to buy that '35 as a parts car and I might even consider it if the math works the way he seems to imply (11 cars/$66,000 reserve). However, I'll have to spend $2000 dragging it home from California and I'm not sure the math adds up at that point, but maybe. Hopefully he'll recognize that separating them will be more lucrative and an easier sell rather than burning through his money on eBay trying to dump them all at once. I'd like to see them go to good homes.

There's a '36 limousine here in Ohio that they keep flogging on eBay (either as a '34 or a '35, but never a '36 for some reason). They're asking $10,000 but I know for a fact that they bought it at auction for $660 at RM Auburn last August. Maybe they'll get realistic soon. It's not as useful to me as a '35, but I might be in for $3000 or so. I'd take a 400% profit on that car...

64309488-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

• Like 2

I did contact the guy selling those 11 Lincolns and asked about buying the '35 separately. His reason for not breaking them up is simply because they don't have time to deal with them individually:

Your thoughts on selling individual cars has crossed our minds. We hope to find a party who sees an opportunity having the cars to make a couple good ones from or to use to help others complete their cars. We just don’t have the time to sell them separately.

I understand that perspective, especially if it's a task that he didn't ask for and they aren't his passion--I get the impression that the seller is probably family dealing with an estate. I asked them to let me know if they decide to separate the group, so we'll see what happens...

• Like 1

He states that the reserve is $66,000 but there's a buy-it-now of $84,000. I'd be very interested to buy that '35 as a parts car and I might even consider it if the math works the way he seems to imply (11 cars/$66,000 reserve). However, I'll have to spend $2000 dragging it home from California and I'm not sure the math adds up at that point, but maybe.

$66k/11 = $6k per car, quite the deal !

California is the place ya auta be, swimming pools, movie stars, old Lincolns.

Edited by 1950panhead (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, dalef62 said:

I just saw these Lincolns on Pickers.  They look pretty bad.

'

Yes, just recently saw this aggregation of Lincolns on American Pickers,

Many are very incomplete and/or in extremely rough condition - but a few individual cars are restorable - some may still yield valuable parts to save other projeects

• Like 2

On 11/10/2018 at 7:07 AM, edinmass said:

Jack would have never pass on a Lincoln. I sure miss his smile. RIP my friend.

Jack gave me some very good advice over the years,

RIP Jack, a valued friend

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wonder if you need to get a tetanus shot before you bid? You certainly need your head examined if you do! Good luck to all the parts guys and scrap men involved in the bidding war..........best guess is half end up in the scrap heap.

• Like 1

OregonDesert - thanks for posting.  So many times we as pundits and interested lookie loos never know what the real sale, real value of these greedy for sale ads end up at.  Once the original seller wanted what? $125,000.  He could have sold these many months ago for reasonable offers, and some would have ended up with parties that would have used the rare parts, maybe combined a car or two for restoration.  The long and the short of it is, after buyers fees, this whole collection will be worth about $10,000 or so, or 10% of what the inflated asking price was. 

How many times do we hear "none of your business" what a car sold for.  Price guides will look at this real world sale as an outlier and make no adjustment to #5 or #6 cars, and we will go through this exercise all over again with the next "collection." 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Could have gotten more money just kicking one car out at a time for sale. Flooded the Lincoln market with to many projects from one source. Seller drove down their own values.

I could have spent three hours there and re-assigned all the parts back to the cars, correctly identified them, and ... - that is how you get the job done. There is also a thing called marketing (all be it the auction company did do a nice job with photography).  And,  probably same year cars needed grouped together as hate to say it, though you need a parts car for the parts car (there are people that take on serious projects, but they get more few by the day and thus the chance of any one car here getting really done is slim). 

I recall the Karl Kleve auction and it was  shame that a dissembled L-29 Cord Convertible Sedan and a dissembled Minerva Convertible Sedan got mixed all into different lots and basically just became parts matched to V-16 Cadillac stuff all separated from the car it belonged too and ...., all be it the Duesenberg people did a nice job separating out stuff.  I get it though  as it was a near Herculean task of dis-assembled stuff.  

I just cannot be taking on big projects at this point in my life. But it was really tempting. Two or three of the right cars together could have resulted in one or maybe even two restorable projects. That Judkins coupe, along with two of the '29/'30 sedans (at least the one with the headlamps!) could have almost made sense. The '25 probably needed to be sold separately, unless there were a lot of other earlier parts added to it, it couldn't have made sense as anything other than a parts car or chassis for someone with a loose body. The later cars would not have provided enough nearly correct pieces for it. Of course, if they could have had someone with a bit of knowledge put the loose parts with the cars that needed them? Could have made a couple more viable projects. But sold separately that way, maybe getting one of the cars one wanted, but not the other one needed to make a good project, made bidding on them individually even more risky.

Just so sad. Someone's unrealistic hopes and dreams mostly turned to scrap before all is said and done. It could still have meant something if the sale had been handled well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Just so sad. Someone's unrealistic hopes and dreams mostly turned to scrap before all is said and done. It could still have meant something if the sale had been handled well.

Restoring cars is hard work and often for everything that goes right two things go wrong - matched to you are taking on the work that literally it took 1000's of people whether factory or suppliers to do in the first place, matched to parts availability, space, time, and ...

John M, Quite true. Restoration of such huge projects is not for those unwilling to work hard for a lot of hours, probably a few years, with no guarantee of success. Also, it is best if one has very deep pockets. But it can be done by someone with the passion, a little (preferably indoor ) space, tools and skills to do most of the work themselves. I have restored about a dozen cars over the years. About half of them were considered beyond restoration when I began them. I won't claim they were ready for the big shows when I was done. But most of them became decent and presentable cars that I was able to drive on tours with the clubs and enjoy for a few years. And most of them were nice enough that I could park them next to some of the finest cars on big car tours, and not be ashamed of my car. Many, but not all,  were model T Fords. I have also had a Reo, two fairly early Studebakers, a series 80 Pierce Arrow (the '15/'16 Studebaker and the Pierce were not restored by me), along with a couple others. I helped a friend rebuild the engine on his '25 Lincoln sedan, and drove that car quite a few times. Ten years ago, I could have been very interested in taking on a Lincoln or two if I could have gotten the right three of those for what they sold for.

But I cannot be taking on something like that now. I have a '27 Paige I still hope to get to, after I finish the '15 T I am currently working on.

There are still a few people around that could take on such a project. But how can they when the cars are marketed as badly as these were. I hope someone will restore that Judkins coupe. I have seen a couple of them on tours and at shows. Such a beautiful car.

7 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

John M, Quite true. Restoration of such huge projects is not for those unwilling to work hard for a lot of hours, probably a few years, with no guarantee of success. Also, it is best if one has very deep pockets. But it can be done by someone with the passion, a little (preferably indoor ) space, tools and skills to do most of the work themselves. I have restored about a dozen cars over the years. About half of them were considered beyond restoration when I began them. I won't claim they were ready for the big shows when I was done. But most of them became decent and presentable cars that I was able to drive on tours with the clubs and enjoy for a few years. And most of them were nice enough that I could park them next to some of the finest cars on big car tours, and not be ashamed of my car. Many, but not all,  were model T Fords. I have also had a Reo, two fairly early Studebakers, a series 80 Pierce Arrow (the '15/'16 Studebaker and the Pierce were not restored by me), along with a couple others. I helped a friend rebuild the engine on his '25 Lincoln sedan, and drove that car quite a few times. Ten years ago, I could have been very interested in taking on a Lincoln or two if I could have gotten the right three of those for what they sold for.

But I cannot be taking on something like that now. I have a '27 Paige I still hope to get to, after I finish the '15 T I am currently working on.

There are still a few people around that could take on such a project. But how can they when the cars are marketed as badly as these were. I hope someone will restore that Judkins coupe. I have seen a couple of them on tours and at shows. Such a beautiful car.

I am a close coupled sedan fan and hoped that "1929" Close Coupled Sedan would be taken on by someone.  When you tell your story I would say tackle anything you choose, but I know of a lot of stuff in garages that the people literally cannot work a crew driver and yet they have a dream of restoring it themselves - and been hearing that from them for 20 years now.  I tell the story of a local fellow who was always doing some project on his Pierce Arrow, Rolls-Royce, and ... - he was sort of a local legend and yet no one ever saw his cars - I had to help him with an environmental issue and saw them - not one as as nice as any car in this Lincoln auction other than they were complete and together - I will tell you he was 100% happy just owning his rare garbage (which by the way is fine).  For me, I have done 100 point cars, but prefer a nice original that does everything it is supposed to do mechanically.  

By the way:  A Paige is great.  friends in Bloomington, ILL had one and it was a great car.   I thought this Paige was really neat:  https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25222/lot/350/?category=list&length=12&page=24 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

Well, these poor, sad Lincolns have resurfaced on Facebook in the Lincoln K discussion, now with a new owner with a whole new set of expectations. I again inquired on the 1935 sedan and was informed that the ask is now $12,000 (and no, the decimal point was not misplaced). Um, what?

288927467_10159078361339891_3589447196871696467_n.jpg.1433e8afbcc32874af2c2afff2dc05df.jpg

It seems safe to say that they'll keep sitting around, rotting.