Johnnya101

Help recommend a car for a 17 year old?

I agree with cahartely This is the one I'd pursue. I've owned a lot of these Chevy's and with some regular maintenance they run forever giving good gas mileage. It has/had a 235 from the factory with a full pressure oiling system. This one stock should run about 135HP which is more than enough to push this car down the highway. You may be able to talk cash and get it for less the the asking price leaving you some leaving you something in the bank for ??? Just my coppers worth. Good Luck in your search. 

• Like 2

I share the view of the group that instead of looking for a particular car, do Craigslist searches for the year range and price range you want.  Just see what pops up, and then ask whether the parts are sufficiently available.  Given that you're flexible on year and model, better to see what is out there than start looking for particular cars.

I'll also add that the the 1941 Packard in Altoona NY listed above is a great deal.  The car looks right from the photos, and pre-war Packards are (in my opinion, see my name) very special cars.  It will be harder to get parts for that Packard than some other cars, though.  They made a lot of 110s, and there are folks like Kanter and Max Merritt that sell parts for them, but it's much harder and costlier to get parts for that kind of car.

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

We looked at a 61 Buick Special in Madison CT two weeks ago, 2 door and a motivated seller for $4.500, I will see if my friend kept the number

Jeeps can be a blast in all parts of the country, every part is available, not expensive and the early ones don't take up a lot of room.

I don't believe mechanical parts are all that crazy expensive for that series Packard and with the Internet,  usually just a couple of days away.   The Bright tid bits are what are harder to find and more expensive,  but they all look to be present and in good condition. 

I know every car I have ever bought always seem to cost more than my budget but I was always happy in the end,  that I stepped up and bought them as they were far superior. 

There were a couple of those Jeepsters on Craigslist that looked decent and fit the price range mentioned,  but I don't believe any were turn key,  though one in particular looked like it could be with a little work with a good interior and what looked like good paint with some cleaning. 

There is nothing cheaper, simpler or more bullet proof than a 47-51 dodge or Plymouth. The 3 window coupes are even borderline cool.  This is where I was heading for my son before the reality of New England winters pushed me to a Tacoma 4x4 with a stick.  Did the same for the next kid.  I really wanted to go vintage. Sigh...

• Like 1

You're getting a lot of good advice here.  Agree re MoPaRs ca. 1950.

Re Jeepsters (1948-51, but '51s are retitled 50s):  I have had at least one at a time for almost 40 years.  They are great fun and look and drive as if they were earlier than they are.  Overdrive transmission was optional rather than standard equipment beginning in '50; make sure any car you consider has it, or you'll run out of string at 45 mph.  Also, mechanical parts are plentiful and relatively cheap, but body and trim parts are neither.  Pleated seat covers to restore appearance of the seats are available inexpensively, as are ready-to-install top kits.  CHECK THE FLOORS AND SILLS, especially on the passenger side, from both under the carpet and under the car. 

I think next time I get interested in some specific car I am going to leak that info to Auburnseeker.

Speaking about Jeepsters (which I wasn't really looking for).

I have it running and driving but am having problems figuring out the overdrive.

I think I have a bad relay. More on that if a future thread.

2018-08-21 48 Jeepster 005.JPG

2018-08-21 48 Jeepster 006.JPG

I'd recommend '46-'54 Packard: durable, reliable powertrains, even the Ultramatic equipped cars when maintained and driven reasonably,  Parts and service advice plus club support readily available, among the best for orphan makes.

Here is a '47 Clipper Deluxe current offered in Connecticut for $4,500:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/1947-packard-clipper-sedan/6734491195.html

Those of us in the Packard world will welcome you!

• Like 3

Per my earlier post, here's a 1950 P-19 like the one I had. Mine was more of a battleship gray, though. A pretty cool looking car. I paid $1600 for it back then. Took a bit to get it running good enough to be a driver, but I didn't have to spend much to do so.

https://bestmoviecars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1950-Plymouth-De-Luxe-P-19-2.jpg

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! Didn't expect as many responses as there are...

I've seen a few of these on the local Craigslist, but there a quite a few new finds too.

Thank you everyone once again. If you'd like, keep bringing in suggestions! :)

• Like 1

Find something local that catches your eye.  Dont limit your search or you might waste a lot of time and miss something good.  Of course don’t buy an obscure English or Italian car just because it looks nice, but any run of the mill American car will be fun and affordable to keep going.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

Find something local that catches your eye.  Dont limit your search or you might waste a lot of time and miss something good.  Of course don’t buy an obscure English or Italian car just because it looks nice, but any run of the mill American car will be fun and affordable to keep going.

Amused me ‘’ don’t buy an obscure etc 

if I could find a obscure English or Italian for his budget in a similar condition to some the beutiful Americans recommended above  , I would grab it , obscure  English or Italian usually means big bucks. I must add it’s only a tongue in cheek dig ?

I agree with you my American is more reliable and cheaper to fix , but fun driving a classic from either side of the pond.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

The '46-'48 Fords are plentiful, have great parts availability and best of all, undervalued in my opinion. I've seen a number of 2 door sedans in running/driving condition sell for well within your budget over the last few years. Most are equipped with the popular flathead V8 too! I wouldn't count out finding a decent Model A Tudor for somewhere around your budget either. The late 40's early 50's Chevys mentioned earlier would be a great choice also.

Johnnya101,

Whatever you do, make sure to see the title before putting down any money. Make sure that the name of the owner on the title is the same as the person selling it. Don"t be shy when you ask to see his identification. If the sellers signature does not match the titled owners signature, he still owns it!

NEVER BUY A CAR WITHOUT A GOOD TITLE!

ANOTHER PROBLEM IS TITLE SKIPPING. THAT IS WHEN THE CAR IS SOLD MULTIPLE TIMES WITHOUT BEING RETITLED.

THE REGISTRY MAY DEMAND SALES TAX AND PENALTY FOR EACH SALE.

Caps are intended as it is a very important issue.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Amused me ‘’ don’t buy an obscure etc 

if I could find a obscure English or Italian for his budget in a similar condition to some the beutiful Americans recommended above  , I would grab it , obscure  English or Italian usually means big bucks. I must add it’s only a tongue in cheek dig ?

I agree with you my American is more reliable and cheaper to fix , but fun driving a classic from either side of the pond.

2 examples are Triumphs and Fiats.  Im not talking about Rolls and Ferrari lol.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

2 examples are Triumphs and Fiats.  Im not talking about Rolls and Ferrari lol.

TR4 - TR6 fun to drive  and reliable , but over here expensive ,  stag great drive cheaper but unreliable ,earlier triumph  models I’m told made popular in states primarily by your returning WW2 service men . I never driven one and a bit basic for my taste. Fiats , don’t particularly like apart from the beutiful sporty spider ,but then dearer and waiting to drive one ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Don't forget AMC.  I have even seen early 60's ragtops for 5 to 6 G.  This one has an asking price of 4500 OBO.

Here is this 61.  Doesn't look too bad other than the seats and a fuel issue.  AMC NOS parts for this era are pretty cheap and I believe all mechanical parts are still available from regular parts stores.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1961-amc-rambler-classic-sedan/6744396669.html

00000_jCH318QiiKf_600x450.jpg

The only isue with older AMC is to be sure to follow the maintainance schedule closely especially chassis items. Don't ask how I know this. Great cars otherwise.

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'd recommend '46-'54 Packard: durable, reliable powertrains, even the Ultramatic equipped cars when maintained and driven reasonably,  Parts and service advice plus club support readily available, among the best for orphan makes.

Here is a '47 Clipper Deluxe current offered in Connecticut for $4,500:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/1947-packard-clipper-sedan/6734491195.html

Those of us in the Packard world will welcome you!

After all the whinning I have done on prices I must say that that one is very reasonably priced for what seems to be a very good car.  Wish I had the extra money and garage space

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Johnnya101 said:

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! Didn't expect as many responses as there are...

I've seen a few of these on the local Craigslist, but there a quite a few new finds too.

Thank you everyone once again. If you'd like, keep bringing in suggestions! :)

Don't forget to let us know what you end up with.  I would stay away from older imports as as the often more intense maintaince  schedules were sometimes ignored or worse by American owners

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

TR4 - TR6 fun to drive  and reliable , but over here expensive ,  ...

Where is "over here"?  Just curious.

Over here,  the better-known foreign (read European) makes that would fit the Original Poster's criteria are either beyond his budget or are cosmetically rough and/or in no condition to drive reliably.  Parts availability would also be a problem in that one could not just go down to the local parts store for spares.  On the other hand, a good friend of mine purchased a beautifully restored MGTD last year that I would've been proud to own ... if I'd seen the deal before he did.  Of course, he spent about 3X the O.P.'s stated budget.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1