Help recommend a car for a 17 year old?

Johnnya101

The '46-'48 Fords are plentiful, have great parts availability and best of all, undervalued in my opinion. I've seen a number of 2 door sedans in running/driving condition sell for well within your budget over the last few years. Most are equipped with the popular flathead V8 too! I wouldn't count out finding a decent Model A Tudor for somewhere around your budget either. The late 40's early 50's Chevys mentioned earlier would be a great choice also.

Johnnya101,

Whatever you do, make sure to see the title before putting down any money. Make sure that the name of the owner on the title is the same as the person selling it. Don"t be shy when you ask to see his identification. If the sellers signature does not match the titled owners signature, he still owns it!

NEVER BUY A CAR WITHOUT A GOOD TITLE!

ANOTHER PROBLEM IS TITLE SKIPPING. THAT IS WHEN THE CAR IS SOLD MULTIPLE TIMES WITHOUT BEING RETITLED.

THE REGISTRY MAY DEMAND SALES TAX AND PENALTY FOR EACH SALE.

Caps are intended as it is a very important issue.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Amused me ‘’ don’t buy an obscure etc 

if I could find a obscure English or Italian for his budget in a similar condition to some the beutiful Americans recommended above  , I would grab it , obscure  English or Italian usually means big bucks. I must add it’s only a tongue in cheek dig ?

I agree with you my American is more reliable and cheaper to fix , but fun driving a classic from either side of the pond.

2 examples are Triumphs and Fiats.  Im not talking about Rolls and Ferrari lol.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, 39BuickEight said:

2 examples are Triumphs and Fiats.  Im not talking about Rolls and Ferrari lol.

TR4 - TR6 fun to drive  and reliable , but over here expensive ,  stag great drive cheaper but unreliable ,earlier triumph  models I’m told made popular in states primarily by your returning WW2 service men . I never driven one and a bit basic for my taste. Fiats , don’t particularly like apart from the beutiful sporty spider ,but then dearer and waiting to drive one ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

17 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Don't forget AMC.  I have even seen early 60's ragtops for 5 to 6 G.  This one has an asking price of 4500 OBO.

Here is this 61.  Doesn't look too bad other than the seats and a fuel issue.  AMC NOS parts for this era are pretty cheap and I believe all mechanical parts are still available from regular parts stores.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1961-amc-rambler-classic-sedan/6744396669.html

00000_jCH318QiiKf_600x450.jpg

The only isue with older AMC is to be sure to follow the maintainance schedule closely especially chassis items. Don't ask how I know this. Great cars otherwise.

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'd recommend '46-'54 Packard: durable, reliable powertrains, even the Ultramatic equipped cars when maintained and driven reasonably,  Parts and service advice plus club support readily available, among the best for orphan makes.

Here is a '47 Clipper Deluxe current offered in Connecticut for $4,500:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/1947-packard-clipper-sedan/6734491195.html

Those of us in the Packard world will welcome you!

After all the whinning I have done on prices I must say that that one is very reasonably priced for what seems to be a very good car.  Wish I had the extra money and garage space

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Johnnya101 said:

Wow, thank you everyone for your help! Didn't expect as many responses as there are...

I've seen a few of these on the local Craigslist, but there a quite a few new finds too.

Thank you everyone once again. If you'd like, keep bringing in suggestions! :)

Don't forget to let us know what you end up with.  I would stay away from older imports as as the often more intense maintaince  schedules were sometimes ignored or worse by American owners

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, Pilgrim65 said:

TR4 - TR6 fun to drive  and reliable , but over here expensive ,  ...

Where is "over here"?  Just curious.

Over here,  the better-known foreign (read European) makes that would fit the Original Poster's criteria are either beyond his budget or are cosmetically rough and/or in no condition to drive reliably.  Parts availability would also be a problem in that one could not just go down to the local parts store for spares.  On the other hand, a good friend of mine purchased a beautifully restored MGTD last year that I would've been proud to own ... if I'd seen the deal before he did.  Of course, he spent about 3X the O.P.'s stated budget.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JACK M said:

I think next time I get interested in some specific car I am going to leak that info to Auburnseeker.

I like looking for cars for sale.  I see lots of deals but my pockets are shallow especially building the warehouse to store the collection I'll never be able to afford to buy,  so I get to live a little of my dream through someone else. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

•  
  • Roger Walling
  • Members
  • 1,984 posts

Johnnya101,

Whatever you do, make sure to see the title before putting down any money. Make sure that the name of the owner on the title is the same as the person selling it. Don"t be shy when you ask to see his identification. If the sellers signature does not match the titled owners signature, he still owns it!

NEVER BUY A CAR WITHOUT A GOOD TITLE! 

ANOTHER PROBLEM IS TITLE SKIPPING. THAT IS WHEN THE CAR IS SOLD MULTIPLE TIMES WITHOUT BEING RETITLED.

THE REGISTRY MAY DEMAND SALES TAX AND PENALTY FOR EACH SALE.

Caps are intended as it is a very important issue.

Edited 13 hours ago by Roger Walling (see edit history)

While this is great advise for a newbie- I prefer to buy a car wo a title. Have gotten some fantastic deals because of this and never, never had a problem.......................! all depends on your temperament and knowledge.

• Like 1

Take a look here:  http://p15-d24.com/forum/

The support and parts are great.  The cars are cheap, the parts are cheap, and they will run forever.  The only thing you need to modify is the master cylinder which should really be converted to dual.

I might even get one of these for my self one day. My dad bought me a 49 Special Deluxe 2 door coupe as a kid and he was a genius.  It was a tank, wouldn't go very fast, and forced me to work my butt off so I could buy my own GTO.

image.png.63a98d25102a8b991402709788c91ce1.png

Edited by AnniesSS
edited to remove ass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, Johnnya101 said:

Hello folks,

As the title says, I'm a 17 year old. I've been interested in antiques for many years, and over the past couple have started to get into cars. I built a 1927 T speedster over the past winter as a learning experience, and am now (or soon will be) ready to upgrade.

I do have an actual daily driver. But I am looking for something to drive a lot during the warmer months (New England). I'd like something that has plenty of parts or support for (especially easy to find sized tires and stuff like that) I do not mind things like no radio, no power anything, low max speed, stuff like that. I would want something that can be found for around $6000 and below, that can be found in general good or driver condition, nothing showroom, but nothing with rust holes and mice eaten interior either. Really don't want to go broke finding parts and buying the thing pretty much.

I love model As, but will never find one that doesn't need an interior and new paint job at my budget.

I love styles of all years. I've been seeing stuff like a falcon of a valiant that matches my criteria, but I'd love something that's more 50s style (or even earlier).

Do any of you have any recommendations for someone like me?

Thank you for any help provided, I greatly appreciate it.

One of the easiest cars to work on, my record for pulling a engine to replace a clutch when I worked for a dealer was 7 1/2 minutes. Where parts are still readily available NOS and new, Where I can go to the internet and buy NEW all the engine parts new including the block ( engine case ) and body parts, transaxle, wiring all electrical components, glass rubber, etc. etc. etc. a car that gets 30mpg+. 

A car that can go almost anywhere, any terrain hot or cold, North Africa to Antarctica, a car that will float, a car that is so well built and tight that you must roll the window down to close the door. A car that was so rugged and popular that 21,529,464 were made. And speaking of made.

It's native to Germany in Five factories , but also was built in Belgium, Ireland, Portugal, Yugoslavia, South Africa, Mexico, Brazil, Costa Rica, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand.

Designed by Dr. F. Porsche, The World Champion VW Air cooled Beetle.          

There was a very nice 50 Chrysler sedan for sale last year that finally got down to 6G before I stopped seeing it advertised in the Northeast.  The upholstery wasn't quite correct,  but still looked decent and period,  but the chrome, paint and under the hood were amazing for a 6G car and it was road ready.  It had an older restoration which is why I think it was so nice and somebody dumped alot of money into it.  Would have been a good one to follow up on if it was still around. I have been looking for a 40's to early 50's Mopar to throw your way,  but haven't found hat I thought were worthy candidates.  One of my first old cars was a 49 Deluxe club coupe.  That was around 1995? I drove it every day for a summer rain or shine,  unless i wanted to really get out and roll,  then I drove the 56 Olds I only used on nice days. I eventually sold it,  A few years later ended up with a 36 Plymouth coupe that I drove a little on nice days,  but I didn't get that up and going until early October as it needed a bunch of engine work,  then sold that over the winter to buy a different car.  A few years later ended up with a 35 Chrysler coupe which I drove for a couple of summers and sold to a guy in England,  then came a 36 Chrysler conv't. that I rebuilt everything mechanically and drove a little sold that off when we bought the new house, at the same time I picked up a 48 Plymouth Conv't which I did a full mechanical rehab on as well plus all new chrome.  I drove that alot for about 2 years,  then sold that off as well.  No Mopars now,  but they usually do represent good value and durability.   One thing to remember as someone else once stated,  those 6's will run and run fairly well until they are finally about shot,  then they give out, so be sure the engine is in good shape and not on the verge of being shot.  My chrysler was so worn out when I got it,  that the piston rings looked like pebbled on a beach,  when I dumped all the pieces off of the pistons,  which had a crazy side gap to the rings as the worn ring pieces actually heavily vee'd the ring grooves,  requiring all new pistons for the rebuild.  Forutnately the cylinders must have been pretty hard as they showed farily normal wear without too crazy of a ridge. 

What years do you like best so maybe I can concentrate more that way when searching? 

Love them bullet noses!?