What wheel covers came with '65 T Bird?

JamesR

I'm talking about the wheel covers as they came from the factory. Or is there a site online that identifies specific hubcaps/wheel covers to specific years and models?

I googled "1965 thunderbird advertisement" and looked at the images results. I've also been to ebay. From what I can tell, there were two different options for wheel covers - one has a more standard looking design with many small pressed in and black painted turbine style vanes, and the other has a slightly more elaborate "spinner" look, with three large vanes molded into the wheel cover.

One ebay ad showed a cover with an affixed sort of faux "knock off hub" attachment (like 65-66 Impala Super Sports had) but I'm guessing that isn't correct because I've found no other ebay or period ad with that kind of wheel cover. I could be wrong, though...I'm new to T-Birds.

The covers that came on my recently acquired semi-project '65 T-Bird are much more basic in look than the other covers I've mentioned. The only really distinguishing feature they have is the "Ford Motor Company" stamped around the inner circumference of the wheel contour.  Something like the featured caps on this page, as I recall (the car isn't immediately accessible as I write this):

https://technicavita.org/old-ford-motor-company-hubcaps

I'm guessing they didn't come on the car originally, but I could be wrong about that, too.  If they were original to the car, I'd be happy to keep them...I just suspect they aren't original, though. I'm not an originality fanatic, but I want the car to appear mostly original, or to be in the spirit of the original. Thanks -  Jim

o

Thanks guys. Is there a really good source for hub caps/covers online?

Also, I might be interested in finding a grille. Mine has slight damage that I may or may not be able to fix. If you have any sources for that stuff, I'd appreciate that, too. I've tried ebay, but no luck for a '65. (For some reason, '64 grilles seem to be a lot more plentiful than '65's.) It looks like some ebay sellers are even representing '64 grilles as '65.

CTCV, your covers look good. They don't look inappropriate at all, and set off the car nicely.  I almost bought a '72 Thunderbird this year, but it din't work out. Before the deal fell through, I found a set of '72 covers at a low price. I guess I could try those on there for kicks - they're badged  "Thunderbird" conspicuously - but they don't look as cool as yours.

• 3 months later...