What do you display with your car at a show?

MarkV

So I took the Seville to the Clc show in la last weekend and it was very nice. I typically display photos, ads, etc with the car and in the trunk I made a display of items from 1977 or about 1977. What do you display with your car?

50C0396C-F31A-4C1F-88AD-86A2DA0F6767.jpeg

226AB0B2-0E60-4C32-9627-18F6FD89A308.jpeg

• Like 1

The things you display with your car really make it more interesting in my opinion. When I bought my Chevelle a year ago this week it came with over 600 pics of the restoration so I printed up a few of them and added a little info about the history of the car which I display at car shows and cruises. I measured the distance from the front of the hood after it's opened and bought a big picture frame at Goodwill for around $10 and put a red towel on the top and bottom of the frame and this is what it looks like. A lot of people have no idea what a frame-off restoration is so they're interested to see how it's actually done. I've received dozens of positive comments too. I also added a copy of the build sheet to prove that it's a real SS and not a clone. In the trunk I display an original owner's manual, shop manual and 1970 Chevelle dealer brochure....

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have a collection of several aftermarket, accessory, hood ornaments for my 1946 Ford. When people ask me about the ornament that is on the car now, I find it easier to just show them the collection. Many people don't realize that there were aftermarket hood ornaments and when they see them they are surprised.

• Like 2

I have a large 3 Ring Binder full of Documentation, Magazine Articles, Owners Manuals, Maintenance Books, and virtually every receipt for parts and repairs.

When I get questions I can usually give a better response with information pulled from the binder.  

It also allows me to promote Clubs and AACA, Judging Rules, Classes, and Membership.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MarkV said:

So I took the Seville to the Clc show in la last weekend and it was very nice. I typically display photos, ads, etc with the car and in the trunk I made a display of items from 1977 or about 1977. What do you display with your car?

50C0396C-F31A-4C1F-88AD-86A2DA0F6767.jpeg

226AB0B2-0E60-4C32-9627-18F6FD89A308.jpeg

So that' s where my old `13 inch  Black and white TV went

• Haha 1

When first started taking my cars to shows. I would bring a number of small signs with information about the car a copy of the original window sticker, etc. I would jack the car up and pull a wheel or two to display the brakes and suspension.  I would also put mirrors on the ground under the car so judges and spectators could look at the chassis. After I restored one of my cars I brought a photo album showing the restoration process in pictures. After a few years of hauling this stuff to shows, setting it up and taking it down I cut back a lot on this stuff and how the car was displayed.

When I started going to AACA Meets I just brought factory documentation about the vehicle in case there were questions from a Judging Team Captain. Lately I have been thinking about getting one of the AACA sanctioned signs so I can once again display some information about my cars. Putting that information together and ordering the signs might be a good winter project.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Yes, I strongly recommend the AACA signs-they are great and are nicely done.  I've been to car shows where you can hardly see the car for all the framed ads, teddy bears, models, etc.etc. I find all that distracting, so recommend just a plaque or sign that tells something about the vehicle, it's history and/or restoration.  I like having a binder of photos and other info handy for anyone who might be interested.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With my 1931 Chevrolet Deluxe Coach (Canadian built) still in rebuilding phase, I takes along a couple of nice original advertisements in period correct frames, people marvel at the prices way back when, the number of models available (20), etc. Of course since Chevy's are so much scarcer than Fords, people have all kinds of questions why? BTW, the black car next door is a 1980 Shay (Ford licensed 1929 Model A Roadster replica).  

IMG_4669.JPG

• Like 2

I have a small sign describing how the car was brought back to life. 

I never display the car with the hood or trunk open. 

I like to display the car as the designers intended the car to look as it drove.  

20180606_170113.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely nothing.  I guess I get that from AACA guidelines.  I suppose it depends on what type of show you are attending and perhaps I might add the 1954 Ford Dealer Showroom catalog.  Otherwise, AACA likes it clean.  Let the car speak for itself.  For the record:  I hate a display surrounded by bowling trophies - err event trophies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a set of original factory tools in the trunk of my 30 Packard to show people if they are interested , and for that car and my 40 Buick I have a windshield card I lettered up on poster board that gives all the information/specs of the car when new so perhaps the person viewing it   may realize what was available during the era and year it was built. It is much more detailed in information then just my name, place I live , year of car , make and number of cylinders. That sign usually inspires  questions from people , many usually state "wow things were reasonable ($) then, my reaction is and a new house cost the same as the Packard or that the cost of the Buick was most likely a years salary for someone at that time" I try to put things in proper perspective as most spectators judge what they see and read by today's standards.

• Like 3

I use show signs with my cars. Saves answering a lot of questions, not  that I mind when someone shows a real interest. Also occasionally use props ,like a (airsoft) tommy gun and fedora hat with my '29 McLaughlin-Buick.

1925 Buick sign 002.JPG

Puttin' on the Ritz 001.JPG

Jim Pictures from work computer 211.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing.

OEM tools are in the pouch which is rolled up and placed inside the spare tire exactly the way it would have been when the car was delivered and the owners manual is in the glove box.

I drive to car show with a small cardboard box containing several spare parts and reference documents to include an original parts manual, service manual, sales literature and a notebook with other related info and photos about the restoration along with a  folding chairs for me and my wife.  When I get to the show I remove the foldings chair and the cardboard box and place them behind the car.  

Absolutely nothing is displayed in, on, beside, or under the vehicle that was not there when it was originally delivered.  If people have questions i have all the documents as reference and we normally get into a great discussion about that year and model car.  

A copy of the Production Order, and a photo album showing before, and during it's restoration, as well as a photocopy of an extensive article written by Asa Hall on Studebaker diesel-engined trucks which includes production figures, etc.

Craig

Only a framed poster prepared by Automobile Quarterly subsequent to an article they did for the Spring, 1975, issue featuring several of my cars.  Strangely enough, I didn't even know the poster existed until I came upon it in a vendor's tent at Laguna Seca in 1986.  

DSC_0662 (3).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AJ, I agree with you about the trophies but there is a reason they do it. The reason that some people lug every trophy they won is first, to show the judges how many trophies my car has won, so I should win another at this show. Second, is to show the judges, that if my car doesn't win a trophy at this show you don't know what you are doing. One local guy must bring 20 or 30 trophies to every show he goes to, 3 or 4 boxes. We all call him a "trophy whore" because if he doesn't win something he pulls a tantrum.

• Like 3

I really dislike numerous displays set up around the car, as they make it hard to take a good photo. I don't like open hoods for the same reason, unless that engine really is something special - like an original 6 cylinder in a Camaro, or a nicely detailed straight eight Packard, etc. I also find that a lot of clutter around the car leads to things getting stepped on, knocked over, etc. 

I always display my own car closed and locked, with nothing around it. I do display a few small things that fit on the dashboard - a small framed history of the car, a dealer' scale model in the same color as my car, plus the original manual and sales brochure. When I'm around the car, I can always open and show anything that somebody wants to see, and when I'm away looking at other cars, I'm not worried about leaving it unattended. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always display with the hood closed (I'll open if asked). My F1 I have 3 laminated sheets I clip to the racks on the stake bed racks, one gives the history of the truck, and the other two give some specs on the truck. My FarmOroad I throw a thin booklet on the seat that shows some copies of factory information. I do use my F1 stake bed as a platform to display things on at engine shows.

If I'm around my vehicle I also allow children to be displayed sitting in my cars so the parents can take pictures.

• Like 2

In our shop we make window stickers for all the cars. A few bullet points with interesting facts about that particular car, a specifications box, and photos of the exterior, interior, and engine. People are encouraged to take them with them if it's a car they're interested in so they have a reference. Instant brochure.

I made similar ones for my personal cars, although I don't often use them mostly because I don't remember to. They don't get in the way, they don't block the view, they can't fall over and hurt the car, I don't have to carry them or stow them or protect them or pack them up at the end of the day, and I don't have to have the hood, doors, or trunk open for people to see them. And if nothing else, it cuts down on answering the same question over and over.

Sticker.thumb.jpg.079fadb8750bbe7bfa06d808783886d5.jpg

• Like 2

I display a framed detailed description of the car so that people know what they are looking at. I display my car with the engine compartment opened and I believe the engine and the engine compartment should be as clean and tidy as the outside. Looks aside, when the hood or deck lid are close I feel someone is hiding something. On the other side of the coin if the engine compartment is dirty it shouldn't be shown.

Take a look at the photo below. All the paint including the engine is original, has 115,000 miles and the car is one year older than the original posters car;

p1080789.jpg

One thing that I am tempted to add to the car when shown is a 1/18 exact scale model of my '68 AMX. Same color, red line tires, engine, etc.  I think it is rare that a metal 1/18th model could be so correct, and that's the only reason I might like to add it strictly as a conversion piece.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Doug Novak said:

One thing that I am tempted to add to the car when shown is a 1/18 exact scale model of my '68 AMX. Same color, red line tires, engine, etc.  I think it is rare that a metal 1/18th model could be so correct, and that's the only reason I might like to add it strictly as a conversion piece.

Then go ahead and display it. Just because a couple of guys here don't like doing it doesn't mean you shouldn't. As a matter of fact, if you counted the replies on this thread you would probably see that there are more guys who do display something than guys who don't. I agree that a lot of stuffed animals or a dozen trophies aren't what I want to see but to each his own.... 

• Like 1

I put a short story of my 1964 Vespa in plastic sleeve and attached it to the handlebars at some shows provided it was not a windy day.  The Vespa was unrestored and retained many interesting points like its original paint, old registration plate, inspection sticker and even the dealer’s advertising sticker.  Many people enjoyed knowing its history especially when they read I rescued it from the trash when the wife of the owner had enough of it taking up garage space and pushed it out to the curb when he was at work.  Fortunately he called me and I got it before the trash man did.  It has won several trophies for its originality.  Best trash day find ever for me.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, billorn said:

That pierce is beautiful but why do you block the car with pictures of the car especially since its pictures of things I could see by looking at the car but that are now blocked by the pictures..??

Yep, the big photos overwhelm the real thing.  Would rather see the car with nothing in front of it.