1964/65 Thunderbird

I believe this car began as a 64 and half way down the line became a 65. VIN is 65 and title is 65 but has no hardware or holes drilled for fender skirts. They were standard on 65s as far as I know. Has sequential tail lights. 5707626169

20180430_214746.jpg

20150809_200106.jpg

Edited by CTCV
found better picture (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

The bird on the hood makes it a 65. The 64 had "THUNDERBIRD" spelled out. sequential tail lights also were first installed on 65s

That is correct Dave and this car has front disc which did not come out til 65. The odd thing is it may be one of very few with no skirts.

9 hours ago, kgreen said:

There is only one hole for the skirts.  It is 3/16 or so in diameter and is located low on the front of the wheel opening on the inside edge.

It is my understanding there is heavier hardware mounted inside the well. I found a set of skirts and bought them but there is nothing to hold them.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:14 AM, CTCV said:

It is my understanding there is heavier hardware mounted inside the well. I found a set of skirts and bought them but there is nothing to hold them.

Found this pic on ebay.  The locking lever is force fit upwards onto the tab that you might notice just below the handle as referenced in this picture.  The skirt is then clamped onto your body.  I never had any problems with mine getting loose.  The pin I mentioned is in the lower forward section of the fender skirt as viewed when on the car.  The pin is missing from this skirt.  This one ig currently going for about $20.  If you are missing the hardware look at something like this and pick the best.  Odd that the hardware is missing as it is not a bolt on, but rivited.s-l1600.jpg

54 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Found this pic on ebay.  The locking lever is force fit upwards onto the tab that you might notice just below the handle as referenced in this picture.  The skirt is then clamped onto your body.  I never had any problems with mine getting loose.  The pin I mentioned is in the lower forward section of the fender skirt as viewed when on the car.  The pin is missing from this skirt.  This one ig currently going for about $20.  If you are missing the hardware look at something like this and pick the best.  Odd that the hardware is missing as it is not a bolt on, but rivited.s-l1600.jpg

But isn't there hardware on the inside of the quarter panels.  I didn't mean to say the skirts were missing hardware. Doesn't the hooked end of the flat steel part grab onto a piece of steel rivited or bolted to the inside of the fender well or does it just grab the inside of the well lip?

15 hours ago, CTCV said:

But isn't there hardware on the inside of the quarter panels.  I didn't mean to say the skirts were missing hardware. Doesn't the hooked end of the flat steel part grab onto a piece of steel rivited or bolted to the inside of the fender well or does it just grab the inside of the well lip?

Good question!  I'm not sure and cannot check as I no longer have that beautiful car.  Best solution might be to get on a specific Tbird forum and look for a car locally to investigate.  I've been known to contact owners of cars similar to one that I am currently restoring and asking for detailed pics and dimensions.  Good luck and sorry I couldn't help more.

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

Good question!  I'm not sure and cannot check as I no longer have that beautiful car.  Best solution might be to get on a specific Tbird forum and look for a car locally to investigate.  I've been known to contact owners of cars similar to one that I am currently restoring and asking for detailed pics and dimensions.  Good luck and sorry I couldn't help more.

No problem kgreen, I appreciate the input. I did read a discussion in the Tbird area but I believe my car is one of very few 65s without the skirt hardware installed in the wheel well . Skirts were options in 64 but standard in 65. The fuel filler tube on mine is 64 as there was a modification in 65. 

There's no special hardware in the wheel well for skirts. The skirts clamp onto the sheetmetal lip at the top of the wheel arch and are supported by a single pin down low at the leading edge of the skirt. You should be able to buy a set of skirts from any car and they will fit on your car without issues. Sorry, not a special or a one-off or a freak of the assembly line, just a regular '65 Thunderbird where someone took the skirts off and lost them.

I have a '64 here now and if you want, I can go remove a skirt and take photos, but I have had several of these (including a white '65 hardtop) and the skirts all work the same way. There's no extra hardware in the quarter panel to support the skirt, which actually isn't very heavy at all. That clamp pulls it down well enough that it's not going anywhere. There should be a strip of rubber weather seal along the top which will help hold it in place and cushion the skirt against the bodywork.

001.thumb.JPG.dc15fedb24e4b7a420a90ed4d1944ba4.JPG 005.thumb.JPG.3a4be4017e69544948755064ce62f8ac.JPG 045.thumb.JPG.832c9f7d2d597400a4a96850b547edb6.JPG

10 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

There's no special hardware in the wheel well for skirts. The skirts clamp onto the sheetmetal lip at the top of the wheel arch and are supported by a single pin down low at the leading edge of the skirt. You should be able to buy a set of skirts from any car and they will fit on your car without issues. Sorry, not a special or a one-off or a freak of the assembly line, just a regular '65 Thunderbird where someone took the skirts off and lost them.

I have a '64 here now and if you want, I can go remove a skirt and take photos, but I have had several of these (including a white '65 hardtop) and the skirts all work the same way. There's no extra hardware in the quarter panel to support the skirt, which actually isn't very heavy at all. That clamp pulls it down well enough that it's not going anywhere. There should be a strip of rubber weather seal along the top which will help hold it in place and cushion the skirt against the bodywork.

001.thumb.JPG.dc15fedb24e4b7a420a90ed4d1944ba4.JPG 005.thumb.JPG.3a4be4017e69544948755064ce62f8ac.JPG 045.thumb.JPG.832c9f7d2d597400a4a96850b547edb6.JPG

Your car is a 64 and I believe mine began as a 64 so I ask this....does your wheel well lip have any pairs of holes in the top of the arch above the contour line of the panel. And do your skirts have several slots on the lip that contacts the lip of the arch ?

1541903233924.jpg

11 hours ago, ol' yeller said:

Is this car for sale?  Where is it located and how much are you asking for it? You're not providing much to go on here.

Yes my white 65 is for sale. It was totally disassembled , engine and transmission professionally rebuilt, all new front end parts and brakes, one piece stainless lines , too much to mention. Not perfect but nice car. Car on rotisserie below.

20180430_213833.jpg