Pro and con on Petronix

AWBE

A number of friends have recommended that I install Petronix on my 1955-76R 322ci Nailhead. Some of you who have installed Petronix plese give the pros and cons of doing this. Thanks in advance for the advice. Joe Miller

I like the Pertronix. I installed one on my 71 351 Cleveland motor and never had to tune the car again. I also installed one in my 64 327 and never tuned the car again. The cars seem to start better and run better. The con is that there are 2 wires coming out of your distributor to the coil instead of one. An expert will see that immediately. Do you care about that change at a car show?

For a driver quality car or modified car, I'd go with Pertronix. I wouldn't do it for a high quality show car that's not driven on the road.

Jerry

I put one in my '54 and have been happy with it. The only mods needed beyond the obvious removal of points were the following:

--An extra hole drilled into the distr. housing to accomodate a second wire. For giggles, I used the stock plastic insulator as well.

--A black FlameTrower coil replaced the original.

--The firewall-mounted resistor was taken apart and I bypassed the thin resister wire in the back of the unit with a heavy wire. Mounted back into place, it looks perfectly stock.

The engine is tired and ready for a rebuild soon, so no big performance jumps were noted, but it certainly fires up more readily, and seems a bit more eager at freeway speeds.

Happy wrenching!

I put it on my 65 Skylark. Noticed the car runs a little smoother and in damp weather (when I allow it to rain on her) I don't have near the trouble I use to have. The engine is in good shape so I didn't notice any big performance jumps but I like the idea of not having to worry about tune ups as often. I was sneaky about my installation as well you can't tell unless you look close.

Biggest con I can think of....The car is just a little less "antique".

Lets face it, if changing and setting points isn't part of the fun of driving your car, then you're not getting the full enjoyment from the hobby that is available. I didn't buy my cars because I wanted convienient transportation, I already have that.

The ability to tinker with the systems that make your car run is something that is lost for most people in the world. Is it worth giving that up so that your car is a little better in the rain or something? Not for me!

I agree with you Dave! And thanks.

I was considering putting Petronix in my '63, but now that you've given me a good reason not to - it's case closed. One of the things I love about my baby is that I actually UNDERSTAND the way she works! I'm a visual person and I like to SEE things work as well. I don't need another "black box" in my life. My Intrepid is packed with those - AND when I had a mysterious stalling problem with that car - one that didn't ring in with any fault codes - even the Mopar dealers were stupified shocked.gif

- Ira

'63 Le Sabre

I put it on my 54 Special. I left the resistor in the circut like the instructions said to. I used the Pertronics coil, and did not have to drill any holes in my distributor. I ran the wires out the original hole. Bottom line, it works great, starts faster has more power and gets better gas milage. The car idles better and it got rid of the deaed spot I had coming off idle. Brian

Keep on talking... that's what this forum is about...I learn something... or at least, get exposed to different ideas everytime I visit!

Thanks guys!