How buttercup got her groove back

28 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

and by the way Matt, let me say that I am so happy to see you giving this much attention to detail and going to the extremes that you are to bring BC back to her 13K mile condition.  I will never forget the day when my son and I went to NJ to pick her up and upon raising the hood seeing the fresh paint brushed onto the engine and fender wells.

You are exceeding my hopes of how you would treat her and the degree of detail and finesse you are demonstrating in performing this restoration work and I THANK YOU!!!!  It makes the hurt of seeing her go much more bearable 😊

While I was feeling a bit overwhelmed in the beginning now that it's coming together I'm feeling better about it. Have to thank @Pinhead63 for his help as well.

• Like 4

I have rebuilt a couple of engines before, but I must say, the 322 nailhead is very intimidating to even think of when it comes to a total rebuild.  I am going to need some motivation from you when the time comes Matt.  Good luck friend.

10 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

I have rebuilt a couple of engines before, but I must say, the 322 nailhead is very intimidating to even think of when it comes to a total rebuild.  I am going to need some motivation from you when the time comes Matt.  Good luck friend.

Why,  the process is the same as any other engine.  There are items you have to watch and pay attention to as it is a Nailhead, but if you get a good shop that can follow directions, you will be fine.  If you get a shop that slams Small Blocks together all day long, the chances are slim that you will be happy. The last engine I had rebuilt was done by a shop that specializes in Jaguar's.  I collected all the information I could and geve it to them.  They were meticulous, asked questions and built a killer engine for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

This isn't rebuilt. Just new gaskets and paint.  It only has 13k miles.

When I took my Uncle Phil ( the model A guy) for a ride in my GS his first question was; Did you rebuild this engine?  

I looked at him and said, Uncle Phil.  This is a Buick!  It only has 50,000 on it.  Why would I rebuild it?  lol

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

If you do paint the oil canister housing the AC oil sticker is available new I believe.  

Yea I had ordered it already. Just got to feeling guilty about covering up all the original....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:
5 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

If you do paint the oil canister housing the AC oil sticker is available new I believe.  

Yea I had ordered it already. Just got to feeling guilty about covering up all the original....

Can be done at any oil change...hard to see anyhow unless you are changing the filter.

• Like 2

Had broken a few French locks during removal and the bolts were totally seized to the washers. 20190715_202235.thumb.jpg.5c90b134f48c62e8e5b23d5164f78c2d.jpg10 minutes of digging around in my nailhead pile and ta-da!

20190715_204758.thumb.jpg.cceeb91d5c0206a7b558bb8b5c6edd80.jpg

Clean these up and finish putting on my exhaust manifolds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Found a new fuel line in my collection...

20190718_193411-1040x2080.thumb.jpg.a6296d8780634b5512b2f1861e14bccf.jpg

I dont suppose I xan get away with vintage accessories in a show?

20190718_193419.thumb.jpg.d3b49af509079cff5458e4aff6aec792.jpg

All I lack now is my fuel pump to block gasket, my plug wires and grommets, (unless you think those would hold up to paint stripper) and my torque tube to trans gasket.

7 minutes ago, old-tank said:

You are going to make those gaskets right?  If so I can send you scans of those gaskets tomorrow.

Make? Last time I made a gasket I wound up very frustrated.   I suppose I could though.

Copy the PDF to your computer then open.  Print "actual size" in the print dialogue.

I rough cut from the paper it is printed on then glue to the gasket paper with mailing label cement, then cut out.

Even fragments of gaskets can be taped (clear) to a sheet of paper then scanned.  Greasy gaskets can be put into a clear plastic bag to protect the scanner.

But don't just select copy...print to a file and select actual size.

Frustrated?  That's the way I was when I took a course in "Tape and Scissors" :D

• Thanks 2

Can't you just cut gasket material to approximate size, hold up to the block and tap with a small hammer to imprint the mounting boss outline?  Then simply cut along the lines --voila!  ;)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Can't you just cut gasket material to approximate size, hold up to the block and tap with a small hammer to imprint the mounting boss outline?  Then simply cut along the lines --voila!  ;)

Yes I did that before scanners.

• Like 1

I'm definitely glad the fenders are off..... This is a heavy beast to manuever back into place.  Thanks @old-tank for the gasket patterns.  Of course when I was putting tools away yesterday I found the baggie with the gaskets I was missing! 😏

• Haha 2

Ive spent the last 3 f*#!$! Hours trying to get the torque tube back in the transmission. In 20 years I've never had one fight me so much. The new torque ball seal makes is hard to move around too.  Tomorrow I'll try loosening the torque ball bolts to see if I can get just the right angle. f_&!"!\÷__*_$!!!!!

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

So you did put a new torque ball kit in, good! Are you using guide bolts 

No guide bolts.  Never needed em. I always have somebody wiggle the wheels back and forth as they push the rear axle forward and I lay under the transmission and make sure it goes on.

38 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

No guide bolts.  Never needed em. I always have somebody wiggle the wheels back and forth as they push the rear axle forward and I lay under the transmission and make sure it goes on.

If you go it alone use the guide pins. I learned the hard way. 

• Like 1

Walk away.  Do something else.

Mine fought me for 2 days when I did the transmission a few months ago.  You probably heard me cussing all the way to NC.

I hate engaging splines and flare fittings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 7/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, NC-car-guy said:

Im going to loosen the torque ball bolts tonight to gain a little more flex I hope.

Thin gasket. I will say the torque ball on the 3 speed stopped leaking at the ball seal after removing all gaskets. Used permatex only.  Vulcanized torque ball seal is a genius idea. 

On 6/24/2019 at 12:35 AM, MrEarl said:

6 Power steering pump - Black * The correct decal wording for the top of the pump is FILL TO LEVEL WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID TYPE

Can't recall, did the previous owner (ie previous to me) paint that too or is it possibly able to be used?  I might have an old original one that could suffice. There is no source for accurate repros of these that I know, however if memory serves me correctly, it was @tompett in Norway that had some made a few years back and may could help.  It would be worth a shot. 

Also when you get ready for the little red 12V stickers that go on all the electrical components incl horns, relays etc let me know as I do have a few of them. These were used on I know '54's and I suspect '53 V8's as "warning stickers" that the systems and components were now 12 volt instead of the previous years 6. 

On 7/25/2019 at 1:45 PM, NC-car-guy said:

Im going to loosen the torque ball bolts tonight to gain a little more flex I hope.

Check the date on the transmission reseal invoice that was in the glove compartment. If it was done before begin production of the vulcanized type ball seal there may be shims creating the tightness? Just a thought. I had always planned on just replacing the torqueball when I had the engine and tranny pulled.

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Can't recall, did the previous owner (ie previous to me) paint that too or is it possibly able to be used?  I might have an old original one that could suffice. There is no source for accurate repros of these that I know, however if memory serves me correctly, it was @tompett in Norway that had some made a few years back and may could help.  It would be worth a shot. 

Also when you get ready for the little red 12V stickers that go on all the electrical components incl horns, relays etc let me know as I do have a few of them. These were used on I know '54's and I suspect '53 V8's as "warning stickers" that the systems and components were now 12 volt instead of the previous years 6. 

The pump was slipped up bad with brushed paint. I had to strip it all the way down prime it and then paint it the only sticker I can find for that lid at any of the old Buick parts vendors is the one that I have put on there now saying fill with hydraulic fluid.  All the relays have the little red 12 volt stickers you even had one in a bag loose with a note saying which relay it went on so I glued it back on. I loosen the torque ball bolts a little bit and was able to move it enough to get the driveshaft lined up and the torque tube reinstalled. No need to replace the truck ball don't fix it if it ain't broke, hell it's brand new.

20190727_162012.jpg