NC-car-guy

How buttercup got her groove back

You may want to try one of the high performance tstats. They seem to maintain a more constant, ie less fluctuating temperature and they're never fully closed.  Worked for me in the wagon.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-4364-Performance-Thermostat/dp/B000BWAPA2/ref=psdc_15725471_t1_B075P27Q83

I'm thinking this is what I went with

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bra-330-180?rrec=true

• Like 1

How goes it with Buttercup? Is she cool as a cucumber or hot as a tamales?  Asking for a friend who wants nothing but success with this resurrection! 

12 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

How goes it with Buttercup? Is she cool as a cucumber or hot as a tamales?  Asking for a friend who wants nothing but success with this resurrection! 

Sidetracked with a family project In Philly this weekend...

• Like 1

5th and final flush.  Water running clear.  Installed 160 thermostat.  Stayed under the N the whole drive to foodlion...about 3 miles.  at the stoplight just before the store it started at the climb just a little bit above the N.  when I parked water neck was reading 209. 20200604_192952.thumb.jpg.6dd29c2c37df9a258cf4a6178bb3ad8f.jpg

• Like 5

I'll try driving to work tomorrow...thats 10 miles.  We'll see.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just noticed it cut off half my post.   But the return trip was the same.  Needle went to the same spot while idling in the driveway.  Also no test drive today.  They are forecasting rain. 

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

10 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

I'll try driving to work tomorrow...thats 10 miles.  We'll see.

Let's us know. 

3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

I just noticed it cut off half my post.   But the return trip was the same.  Needle went to the same spot while idling in the driveway.  Also no test drive today.  They are forecasting rain. 

Recommend keeping your filter in place. Mine has been in the car since 2003 and here it is after the last 240 miles of mostly highway speed travel. 

20200528_093436.jpg

Buicks love the rain.  They run better.  I never could explain why.  

1 minute ago, avgwarhawk said:

Buicks love the rain.  They run better.  I never could explain why.  

Ha ha ha.  Wipers arent working yet and the driver's door seal is leaky... pass 

48 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Drum brakes...  Mine sound more like a Violin. 😀

I'm here to 5.  Try the veal.  

• Haha 3

Glad I didn't drive it to work this morning.  Wouldn't have made it.  Apparently 3 miles is its limit.  I went to food lion again.  Same result...just above N when I got there.  Stayed just above N on the ride home so I decided to run another 6 mile loop.  She started climbing.  Just as I pulled in the driveway it was creeping towards H and then started puking fro. The over flow.

I know I've threatened but seriously......  I'm into this car for almost the top of what its worth now.  We've all gotten pay cuts at work. I just want to relax.  I want an old car I can ride around town without worrying too much and I want a little boat to fish on the lake. I'm going to clean her up tomorrow and get photos to post online.   You guys have first crack.  Hopefully someone with more time and money can get her to that next level and win the archival.    I might make the sale contingent on everything in the parts building must go with.....😛😉

Are you sure that sock filter things not clogged and restricting flow. You should at least try one of the high flow 180* thermostats that I suggested earlier. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Are you sure that sock filter things not clogged and restricting flow. You should at least try one of the high flow 180* thermostats that I suggested earlier. 

I checked the panty hose... Clear.  I need to get out of debt, drop the stressful job, fix up my house and have a dependable old beater to drive around.   I know your love for the car.  You're welcome to have it back at what I paid and I'll take the loss.  If you know someone you think would be a good caretaker, feel free to recommend them.  I'm tired, I'm over-worked, I'm aging beyond my 40 years. I need a relaxing hobby. Men in my family don't live past mid-sixties (except one), I want to use my time for something else.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

You have done just about everything I can think of but... just for craps and giggles, the fan is on correctly? 

10 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

You have done just about everything I can think of but... just for craps and giggles, the fan is on correctly? 

Yea and that 5 blade fan really.moves air!

2 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Yea and that 5 blade fan really.moves air!

I'm really at a loss with this one. 

By chance might the brakes be dragging too much? 

You're welcome to have it back at what I paid and I'll take the loss. 

I truly would love too but I let her go because of this thing called time and that ain't changed so will have to pass. If I did however, I'd clean the crossover pipe again,  swap to a flow cooler pump and if still not good I'd probably throw this at her.

http://classicfordradiator.com/1954-56-NEW-Buick-3-row-radiator-regular-core-design-3131176.aspx

Would love to see her go to someone here.

I might have missed something and am too lazy to read the entire thread.       Has the radiator been removed, tanks removed, and core rodded?

Ben