How buttercup got her groove back

NC-car-guy

I think the voltage regulator is going.  Friday the charge gauge was reading high to the charge side while driving and sitting alone the middle at idle.  Now it's at the discharge side at idle and revving it hard barely gets it back to the middle. 😞

5 minutes ago, 1956322 said:

I’ve had the worst luck with modern replacement voltage regulators and they were all made in the usa just junk some dead out of box and yes i polarized them..finally got fed up and went with the powermaster power gen

Thanks for the heads up.   Somewhere I have an NOS one in the box....cant find it when I need it.

• Like 1

Regulators of that period are almost infinitely adjustable and rebuildable. There is really no way at that mileage it could be worn out. With the engine off and battery disconnected, you could try dragging strips of printer paper soaked in brake kleen through the points.

I have not heard a single good report on modern replacements.

It's far more likely that the brushes in the generator are gummed up and not sliding freely in their holders and/or the commutator is dirty.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You are lucky to have a charging problem at home or close by.  All of mine happened in hot weather far away.  It was never the voltage regulator although that is the first thing I changed because it was easy.  Check the voltage at the battery with the engine off and then running 2000 rpm and report back.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:14 PM, old-tank said:

You are lucky to have a charging problem at home or close by.  All of mine happened in hot weather far away.  It was never the voltage regulator although that is the first thing I changed because it was easy.  Check the voltage at the battery with the engine off and then running 2000 rpm and report back.

12.23 and 12.2.   Looks like no charging is happening.  Now I gotta get it figured out and fixed before it ships.  😣

1 hour ago, NC-car-guy said:

12.23 and 12.2.   Looks like no charging is happening.  Now I gotta get it figured out and fixed before it ships.  😣

I just opened the regulator and un stuck one of the points.  Now its charging again

• Like 4