NC-car-guy

How buttercup got her groove back

2 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

I always thought adding extensions and universals would throw off the amount of torque actually getting to the bolt....

It will, but if the torque value is a range, just use the upper end of the range.  Otherwise, just use some judgment and add a small amount at the wrench setting depending on what you are adding.

• Like 2

Apparently whoever provides valves for the East Coast Parts suppliers is now on indefinite backorder.  I called the West Coast supplier and got my lecture about needing to replace all my exhaust valves, which I refuse to do. And will now wait for my parts to arrive.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Apparently whoever provides valves for the East Coast Parts suppliers is now on indefinite backorder.  I called the West Coast supplier and got my lecture about needing to replace all my exhaust valves, which I refuse to do. And will now wait for my parts to arrive.

I thought you had a spare head or two laying around to salvage a valve from?

14 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I thought you had a spare head or two laying around to salvage a valve from?

Since this engine is so low mileage and i have no idea the mileage on the other engines, it seemed better to get a new valve and guide.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Head is done.  $110 yikes! He said there was some pitting on the seat so he touched it up... Brings this close to a $200 mistake, not counting my labor. 😥

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Head is done.  $110 yikes! He said there was some pitting on the seat so he touched it up... Brings this close to a $200 mistake, not counting my labor. 😥

Nobody likes pitting on their seat.    Why to you chalk this up as a mistake?   Valves in these nailheads do freeze up in their guides.   Look at the bright side, at least the piston appears good to go, no scratches in the bore walls from a valve that could have cracked off and bounced round in there.    For good measure, assure the other head has all moving valves when cranking.     

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Nobody likes pitting on their seat.    Why to you chalk this up as a mistake?   Valves in these nailheads do freeze up in their guides.   Look at the bright side, at least the piston appears good to go, no scratches in the bore walls from a valve that could have cracked off and bounced round in there.    For good measure, assure the other head has all moving valves when cranking.     

I should've checked all this when I did the head gaskets and I should've drained all the old fuel before adding more and starting it.

27 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

I should've checked all this when I did the head gaskets and I should've drained all the old fuel before adding more and starting it.

The excitement of hearing it run leads to missing some things to do before you start it.  Man....I have been there and done that!   You are not alone.   I recall installing my fresh heads on the 264.   This after honing and new rings.   I decided to hand turn the crank to assure the was nothing in the valve train was hitting the top of the pistons.  I got about a 1/4 turn before it jammed.  And spun the crank back 1/4 turn. It jammed again.  I scratching my head and cussed a bit.   I did not want to remove heads or find the push rods I reinstalled are now to long jamming up the works.  I get ready to do just that but decide to crank the crank by hand one more time.  When I do...I hear a clank in the rear.   What the....   I had left the 3 speed in gear.  Once the manual was out of gear the engine spun without issue.  So yeah, my excitement to get it running caused me to miss that completely.              

Just chalk it up to a learning curve and something to share when another is working on a 322. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Head is back on. Intake and exhaust are on. Need to do an oil change as I spilled coolant and gasoline while working on this. If this car doesn't work out it's reverse issue by driving it around it's forward gears I will gladly exercise all of its forward gears straight into the scrap yard, regardless of my monetary loss.  I am not built for fixing these cars.  They are huge pains in the ass and I will not own another.

• Sad 1

Good luck!! Wish you were closer although I’m hoping to move back to nc sometime in the future:)

Never, ever, ever give up.

Family friends of mine owned, and still own a 60 Electra with Dynaflow. I am not sure how similar that is to your Dynaflow. The 60 could lose reverse if someone inadvertantly shifted into reverse without having the car absolutely, completely stopped. The strut for the reverse band fell out. It happened 2 or 3 times back in the day. It is fixed by putting the strut back in. It was a easy cheap repair by someone who understands Dynaflows, and did not require taking the transmission out of the car.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

These cars can be frustrating and discouraging.  You have gone the distance getting the nose on and aligned. Fixed other items. The head set you back but will be resolved. So will the reverse issue.  Keep the faith.

38 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Never, ever, ever give up.

Family friends of mine owned, and still own a 60 Electra with Dynaflow. I am not sure how similar that is to your Dynaflow. The 60 could lose reverse if someone inadvertantly shifted into reverse without having the car absolutely, completely stopped. The strut for the reverse band fell out. It happened 2 or 3 times back in the day. It is fixed by putting the strut back in. It was an easy cheap repair by someone who understands Dynaflows, and did not require taking the transmission out of the car.

Yes this has a strut that can fall out.  Still requires pulling the valve body, on my back, being dripped on with ATF.

That freaking strut can also be dropped if one puts it in reverse before allowing the engine to settle into it's low speed idle.  The good news is;  once you are aware of it,  there seems to be a low probability of repeating  the failure just by paying attention to these two causes. 

It's broken.

It can be fixed.

More than a few of us have tasted transmission fluid (more than once).

So quit the bellyache'n and fix it!:D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, old-tank said:

It's broken.

It can be fixed.

More than a few of us have tasted transmission fluid (more than once).

So quit the bellyache'n and fix it!:D

Antifreeze is sweet.  Differential oil tastes like the devil's toilet water and smells just the same. Depending on the Dot, brake fluid tastes of pond scum or gutter sludge.  If you let Dot 3 breath it has a rosey bouquet. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dont get close enough to the antifreeze to verify the sweet taste. Dont recommend the others either. See if a tranny shop will try to reset that strut. I imagine it will be near impossible to do layin on yer back under there. 

22 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Head is back on. Intake and exhaust are on. Need to do an oil change as I spilled coolant and gasoline while working on this. If this car doesn't work out it's reverse issue by driving it around it's forward gears I will gladly exercise all of its forward gears straight into the scrap yard, regardless of my monetary loss.  I am not built for fixing these cars.  They are huge pains in the ass and I will not own another.

When I first got my blue 57 back on the road after sitting for 30 years, I felt like this for a time.  Once it was dialed in though, for the past 10 years all I've done besides change the oil and keep fresh gas in it is drive it and rebuild the master cylinder and booster.

• Like 3

Took it out for a test run.  Suddenly the front blinkers aren't working again... Never ends.  But it does ride smooth.

20200301_140109.jpg

20200301_140054.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully after a light lecturing, russ sold.me.just the parts I needed... And Boyette's machine shop in Raleigh, NC is amazing.  Still old school, timely, and polite!  (Not cheap though, guess you get what you pay for)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good to see it on the road!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Took it out for a test run.  Suddenly the front blinkers aren't working again... Never ends.  But it does ride smooth.

20200301_140109.jpg

It does look happy in the sunshine!   Something about the yellow color I presume!  Take it and the shop manual to a trans shop for resetting that reverse strut.  It will be money well spent in my opinion.