Jump to content

How buttercup got her groove back


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

You're welcome to have it back at what I paid and I'll take the loss. 

 I truly would love too but I let her go because of this thing called time and that ain't changed so will have to pass. If I did however, I'd clean the crossover pipe again,  swap to a flow cooler pump and if still not good I'd probably throw this at her.

 

http://classicfordradiator.com/1954-56-NEW-Buick-3-row-radiator-regular-core-design-3131176.aspx

 

Would love to see her go to someone here.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I might have missed something and am too lazy to read the entire thread.       Has the radiator been removed, tanks removed, and core rodded?

 

  Ben

Radiator was taken to a local shop that several car guys recommended.  It was boiled. Flow tested and leak tested.  They said flow was good and there was one spot on the interior of the tubes that smoked a little in the leak check.  He said that it was so minor I'd never notice but that it was an indication that the metal was thin.  Maybe all the car needs is a radiator? But I'm out of money, out of patience....

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

The five blade fan should certainly cool things down. Still a blockage somewhere in my mind.  Some suggested taking a look at the crossover as possibly partially blocked.  The Oring over the water pump to t-stat possibly blocked by RTV or lose rust that collected there? System trapped air. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Radiator was taken to a local shop that several car guys recommended.  It was boiled. Flow tested and leak tested.  They said slow was good and there was one spot on the interior of the tubes that smoked a little in the leak check.  He said that it was so minor id never notice but that it was an indication that the metal was thin.  Maybe all the car needs is a radiator? But I'm out of money, out of patience....

 I understand the out of money!  And tired. My money is on the radiator, speaking from many years of experiences. 

  Try this. get the car hot enough the thermostat is open and water circulating.  Spray the front of the radiator with a garden hose. Observe the drying pattern.  Does it dry evenly? Is one side MUCH slower than the rest? As Willie says, report back. 

 

  As an engineer I once worked under said " we can find the problem, boys. This ain't no ouija board". Percy Shook, 1964.

 

  Ben

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

 I understand the out of money!  And tired. My money is on the radiator, speaking from many years of experiences. 

  Try this. get the car hot enough the thermostat is open and water circulating.  Spray the front of the radiator with a garden hose. Observe the drying pattern.  Does it dry evenly? Is one side MUCH slower than the rest? As Willie says, report back. 

 

  As an engineer I once worked under said " we can find the problem, boys. This ain't no ouija board". Percy Shook, 1964.

 

  Ben

I really wanted a 55. This was soo nice looking I thought it was a chance to have my 1st real quality car, even if not my 1st choice of year. One that I could show off without car guys looking down at me.  It's just fought me so much, I've lost interest. I will try my other radiator as I got it from a driver. Car will still be for sale. 

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the status of the transmission? ie not going into reverse at times ? and please refresh my memory the engine and tranny mounts are for sure GOOD and properly installed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

The Oring over the water pump to t-stat possibly blocked by RTV or lose rust that collected there?

 

This^

 

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

System trapped air.

 

 and maybe this ^

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

What's the status of the transmission? ie not going into reverse at times ? and please refresh my memory the engine and tranny mounts are for sure GOOD and properly installed?

Yes the mounts were good.  Changed them anyway.  Reverse happens if you run the selector up and down a few times and when you go to reverse you have to sort of slam it.  Maybe the linkage is bent?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

 

This^

 

 

 and maybe this ^

Looked clear when I last had it open this week. And I burped the car once I filled her back up with water.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

Swapped radiators today.  Was good for 15 miles... Then she started climbing and puked.  Water neck read 230.  Fully washed and waxed today.  P.s. it takes a full tub of turtle wax!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Swapped radiators today.  Was good for 15 miles... Then she started climbing and puked.  Water neck read 230.

 

and that was the radiator your shop boiled and gave  good report on right. You've said several times that it idles for 30 minutes with no overheat problem but apparently overheats at higher rpm on the road. That sounds like flow or water pump problem yet the wp was a rebuilt from Russ? hmmmmmmmm There has got to be a blockage SOMEWHERE. I think I asked before but have you  visually peered into the crossover pipe. I have removed these from parts vars where they were so rusted there was only a pea sized hole that would have been letting coolant through. Any possibility of an incorrect head gasket installation. ? 

 

22 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Fully washed and waxed today.  P.s. it takes a full tub of turtle wax!

 

Swapped a radiator and fully washed and waxed and it's only mid afternoon. You've been busy!!!

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I can't find it in Hagerty and no sold listings on eBay.. But here she is.  I put a price since that's required, but make an offer!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NC-car-guy said:

Any sources for a new vacuum advance... Fusick is out of stock.

Have you tried CARS?  EBAY?  If same as 57 I probably have an extra.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When did the vacuum advance quit working maybe that's why it's getting hot.   I can rebuild your old one if you have the time to wait for it.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, old-tank said:

When did the vacuum advance quit working maybe that's why it's getting hot.   I can rebuild your old one if you have the time to wait for it.

Thanks! I got 5 of these suckers here and not a one holds...  I'll let ya know if I need to send one your way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

New vacuum advance installed.  40 miles today in the 45-50 mph range. Stayed under N on the gauge. Even floored it a few times. Currently about 90 degrees out.  Went driving again. Again stayed under normal. Floored it again and it started to climb a bit above the N. Pulled into the house and parked. Revved it a little and the temp came down some.  Didn't get the runaway overheat like before.  Gonna let it cool, check my filter then put actual coolant in with wetter water.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NC-car-guy said:

New vacuum advance installed.  40 miles today in the 45-50 mph range. Stayed under N on the gauge. Even floored it a few times. Currently about 90 degrees out.  Went driving again. Again stayed under normal. Floored it again and it started to climb a bit above the N. Pulled into the house and parked. Revved it a little and the temp came down some.  Didn't get the runaway overheat like before.  Gonna let it cool, check my filter then put actual coolant in with wetter water.

 

It's normal from my experience to go a tad past N on a hot day.  My 57 will under those conditions.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

190 at water neck

180 at front of heads

220 at the intake

185-190 at rear of heads 

194 on the block by the petcock

176 top tank

120 bottom tank

165 water pump

 

Needle moves up towards H as she heat-soaks after shut down.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

 

190 at water neck

 


 

 

With what thermostat? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Appears you have it solved.  If I'm getting down the highway my needle will be just above the N.  At a stop light for a good amount of time she will climb to the top of the white line that indicates normal range.  Never out of the normal line area. No puking up coolant. Running a 180 t-stat. Your numbers with the heat gun are similar to my numbers. I happened to check this weekend after a very hot 44 mile highway run with a good 20 minutes of stop and go traffic. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

Yes

 

 I would say without a doubt the removal of the scale and using the filter to catch it made a difference as well!  I'm glad it is sorted.  Maybe Buttercup will find good graces and stay in your barn. :)  

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

 

 I would say without a doubt the removal of the scale and using the filter to catch it made a difference as well!  I'm glad it is sorted.  Maybe Buttercup will find good graces and stay in your barn. :)  

I dunno.   Drove it to work today, cool morning so I figured I was safe.  15 miles at 55 mph on back roads.  Temp gauge stayed well below N.

20200626_080012.thumb.jpg.a42f5a1fba4efc297d6fd6cbb57c0782.jpg

 

View from my cubicle:

 

20200626_080413.thumb.jpg.125d91d79094e999428808d30177e433.jpg

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 4:15 PM, NC-car-guy said:

Needle moves up towards H as she heat-soaks after shut down.

 

That's normal.  Those temp readings sound good to me!  ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NC-car-guy said:

I dunno.   Drove it to work today, cool morning so I figured I was safe.  15 miles at 55 mph on back roads.  Temp gauge stayed well below N.

20200626_080012.thumb.jpg.a42f5a1fba4efc297d6fd6cbb57c0782.jpg

 

View from my cubicle:

 

20200626_080413.thumb.jpg.125d91d79094e999428808d30177e433.jpg

 

 

Look at that!  You can gaze upon her cool beauty from your cubicle sweet cubicle.   Funny part is, her interior is larger than your cubicle!!      You know she is saying, "Let's motorvate!"   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

I dunno.   Drove it to work today, cool morning so I figured I was safe.  15 miles at 55 mph on back roads.  Temp gauge stayed well below N.

20200626_080012.thumb.jpg.a42f5a1fba4efc297d6fd6cbb57c0782.jpg

 

View from my cubicle:

 

20200626_080413.thumb.jpg.125d91d79094e999428808d30177e433.jpg

Coolest car in the lot by far! 👍

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...