Advice on what to do with a 65 Skylark Convertible

Toml33611

Price guides generally do a better job of viewing the market for cars that are more abundant, and that change hands often. They seem to do a much poorer job of capturing the market for the cars that seldom change hands. You could go to a hundred car shows and not find one like yours. A convertible is especially rare and coveted. It's hard to even put a value on this car. I wouldn't even guess at the high end value for your car, but  $4000 is absurdly low. Comparable car sales are what are supposed to set the bar for the value guides, but if there aren't any cars like it that have changed hands, it becomes a guessing game. The market for any car is what it will bring at a moment in time. Some might suggest and eBay auction as a way of catching the market trend. At any rate you should join the Buick club, some members will have a good idea of it's real value. I applaud you for deciding to keep the car, selling and suffering seller's remorse is an experience that I don't recommend.

• Like 1

Seller's remorse has always been easier for me than buyer's remorse. I just slide my hand into my pocket and wrap my fingers around the wad of bills.

Buyer's remorse means I have to clean the thing all up and sell it.

Best advice is to keep the car within the context of your own life. If you don't have $4,000 and $4,000 will put a new roof on a section of your house, you don't need an old car to spend money on.

Back when I was in my teens I worked in the used car business with my Grandfather. I REMEMBER one of our wholesaler friends who gave me a long story about "pyramiding"  his investment in one of the lizards he was pedaling by having this and that done to it. I remember those lessons well, sort of negative learning, listen and don't do.

Over the years I have developed a hypothesis that comes out with the same proof- "For every $1,000 you are willing to spend, you can buy $4,000 of someone else's investment."

You are very lucky you are not sitting there with a stripped front end and a $1,000 disc brake kit. Don't push your luck more. An inheritance is a windfall. Apply it appropriately to your lifestyle.

Bernie

• Like 2

$4,000 for that car is crazy low.  If the rear quarters and floors are in good shape (no rust or damage) it is easily worth well over $10,000.  It isn't just a '65 Skylark convertible, it is a '65 Gran Sport convertible.  It is a very rare car.  Among Buick and the smaller Buick GS population this is a very desirable car.  It isn't as valuable as other muscle cars like an SS 396 Chevelle despite being more expensive when new and a much better car overall, go figure.  If there is rust, then the price would drop accordingly.  The problem is that nobody makes exterior body panels for this model like they do for Chevelles or Mustangs.  That raises restoration costs above the return.  After all I think the car is in Massachusetts which has its share of rusty cars.  If you weren't so far away from me, I'd be a player.  Don't modify or dump it.  You have something that is very desirable to a select group of folks.  

• Like 2

In this case, put a high number on it as usually it is non-taxable as part of an inheritance.  Then when it is sold, the proceeds will be minimal.  Thus, if your "cost basis" is $8500 and you sell it for that, there is no profit on the sale.  Of course, it should be appraised and documented or at least the NADA, Kelly, etc. values attached.