Buick Wreckers?

Ronnie

I found this on the General section and thought it would be informative for us Buick guys over here.

Not mine...

I bought this old tow truck and would like to know if anyone can provide history of Johnnie's Garage. It is a 1932 Buick 97. I believe it was in NEPA (North Eastern Pennsylvania) for the majority of its life but can't say for sure.

20141203_155920.jpg

20160223_130103.jpg

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM, dibarlaw said:

I found this on the General section and thought it would be informative for us Buick guys over here.

Not mine...

I bought this old tow truck and would like to know if anyone can provide history of Johnnie's Garage. It is a 1932 Buick 97. I believe it was in NEPA (North Eastern Pennsylvania) for the majority of its life but can't say for sure.

20141203_155920.jpg

20160223_130103.jpg

Here is an update and a bit about us. My students wanted to build a rat rod. A local gentleman had this and basically gave it to me . Once I found out what it was I was not going to cut it into a rat rod. Obviously it could never go back to what it was originally so the plan was to put it back to the tow truck. 

I decided that any parts that can be used to help others restore their Buick to original will be offered up to help us complete our project. But we are determined to keep the original drivetrain. We do not have a budget to buy everything so we are making the best of what we have and putting money where it can do the most. Many may feel we are not restoring this vehicle properly but considering we need to finish this project by June leaves us few options. We will post a few pictures as we move forward. We plan to fire up the engine in a month or so.

20160310_105128.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The wrecker seems to be a circa 1920 Cadillac. The transverse mounted engine behind the cab may be a teens Buick. Winch power unit? Hudson/Essex sign upper left side of the garage door. The coupe may be a 1926 as I do not see the Goddess radiator cap. Motometer on the regular cap.

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

On 12/9/2018 at 11:32 AM, Jeff P said:

The Johnnie's Garage truck would be a dream restoration of mine. I would love to own it and restore it despite it's condition.  While clearly not a Buick "car" by any means, I think a restoration including replicating Johnnies Garage as you see it in that patina shot - would be a worthy restoration of a car which was common in a bygone era.  It would inform and fascinate a show crowd as much as a restored car would. 

Very neat.  Thanks for sharing. 

Also, the shape of the bed sides is a shape that I have seen a few times on converted cars to trucks.  There has to be a theme here, a company that perhaps offered a conversion "kit" especially back around WW II.  The sloping down near the back, seen it a few times on conversions from the 20's to the early 50's.  Just an observation. 

Agreed...I’ve seen that box side shape on fire truck conversions.

Below is a shot I took with my camera of my TV with a scene from the latest Ford F150 commercial.  It's a shame they covered up most of the old wrecker they are hauling with a banner. Having the sides of the bed rounded off in the rear with a handrail on top seems to be a common thing in old wreckers.

SAM_4093.JPG

image.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...