My 2nd newbie question regarding judging

amxdreamer

I've tried the search feature and looked through the AACA website and couldn't find anything so figured I would just ask. I'm sure one of you helpful folks can answer my questions. I have never attended an AACA show but would like to start. Unfortunately I live in British Columbia so it's a long haul to events. From what i have learned you start in Junior then progress to Senior and Grand National? Is there 1st 2nd 3rd type awards or is it based on points only so not competing against other cars. For example there could be 3 "gold" level cars if they have the points for that award. 

• Like 1

Page 129 of the judges guidelines explains it best. I have attached a link to it online.

There are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes available in the Junior category as well as the Grand National category. The top scoring car in Junior competition wins a First Junior. Any other car in that class within 10 points will also receive a First Junior. A car that receives 11 points less than the top scoring Junior car would receive a 2nd Junior, as long as it has enough points for a 2nd Junior. 3rd Junior would proceed in a similar manner. 

Senior competition does not have 2nd or 3rds. If a car does not win the Senior, it would still receive a Preservation Award as long as it had sufficient points for a Preservation Award. 

Grand National competition is conducted in a similar manner to the competition for First, Second,  and Third Junior but with a different number of points required. 

http://www.aaca.org/images/judge/2018_Judging_Guidelines.pdf

I judge the 36E category fairly often, which the "bigger" motor AMXs fall under. Great class that I would love to see more entries. You'll find some classes harder to compete in than others. There are more 400 point Mustangs in 36D than AMX's in 36E. So while you don't directly compete against another AMX, it's generally more likely to get a 1st with a performance AMX than a performance Mustang because there are fewer "perfect" examples. There are some classes where folks get a 1st that would not do well in others. Generally the cars with more aftermarket support are the ones more challenging to place in, so while not the intent by any means, there is a sort of fairness to it. If you aim for 390 or more points you should be good to go! If you don't want to judge, at least read the guidelines a few times and mock judge your own car. There is a good chance you know it better than the judges (another advantage of not having a Mustang).

• Like 1