1911 Hupmobile one Payment at a Time

1937hd45

With all the Hup 20  work going on in Australia and New Zealand I feel I better join this Forum. I'm making payments on a 1911 Runabout and will post photos once it is home safe in my garage. It is an old restoration that was taken apart and stored for over 20 years. The radiator cap sits on my desk to remind me to sell unwanted stuff and get the car paid for. Bob 

DSCF8545.JPG

I'm really looking forward to getting this car home, it is my second chance for having one after loosing a twin to it in 1975. Bob Mead was a local dentist and Stanley Steamer collector who found a 1911 Hup that hadn't been registered since 1922. We didn't call them "Barn Finds" back then, but it was one. Months went by and he said he wanted to sell it and mentioned a price, I went home and stared to list things for sale in Hemmings. Sold a '56 Ford pickup I'd driven home from LA and had exactly half of the Hup price. I stopped by on a Sunday and planned to offer half down but the Hup was gone, sold to another local guy. I didn't say anything, and it turned out the shop I worked for at the time did get to restore the '11 Hup. Years later Doc Mead asked me to ride along on a run to look at a 1906 Cadillac and I told him the '56 Pickup sale for Hup money story. He just about pulled off the Interstate and told me to say something when a car comes up for sale and you want it, turned out he would have worked out a payment plan. So here I am 1911 Hup #2 forty three years later making payments. It's going to look great along side my 1912 Ford, that has a few stories as well. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 4