Is it a '51 or '52 Buick Super

Kestrel

I may be purchasing a '52 Buick Super and am trying to verify it is in fact a '52, not a '51. The car's title and current owner say it's a '52 but the body tag on the car is confusing. It reads "1951 Mod. 51-52" on the top line. I found Buick car data sites but I couldn't find any clear explanation behind these particular numbers. The engine number looks to be 647 69 II5. Those II digits  could be 11.

Any help appreciated !!

113668a201fbb_hd_1952-buick-special.jpg

Thanks Ben,

Yes, I've seen and test drove the car. Very nice original car with low mileage. Here is a photo. Having no prior knowledge of these early '50s Buicks, my only concern, other than keeping the DMV folks happy, would be if a 51' is valued less than a '52. From what I can gather, mechanically they are quite similar with minor improvements. But I don't know for sure. 

113221039fec4_hd_1952-buick-special.jpg

• Like 1

That is a 1951.  

a 1952 will have chrome "fins" on the back fenders.  Also, the trunk  Handle will be near the bottom on a '51 and near the top on the '52.  The '52 trunk lid is a little higher at the back.

If you care to post the engine serial number, located just in front of the distributor , we can further verify the year.  If it is the original engine. 

Nice looking Super.

Ben

• Like 1

There's really no difference in the value of a '51 Super versus a '52 Super. They are almost identical except for the small things that Ben pointed out. Also, the '51 has "Buick" in cursive script on its wheel covers, whereas the '52 has sombrero-shaped wheel covers with the Buick crest in the center. About the only thing that would make a '52 Super worth more than a '51 is if it has the rare, first-year-option of power steering, which was not offered on the '51s.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the clarification and pointing out the differences. It was hard to read but the engine number appears to be 647 69 II5. Those "II" digits  could be 11 as I indicated in my initial post.

Serial # is 162 547 67

I should educate the seller/dealer as to the proper production year but perhaps keep quiet with the DMV folks when/if I complete the transaction and go to register it. I wouldn't want to upset the apple cart if it has had a clean title as a '52. One never knows with DMV. A lot depends on who is behind the counter :)

imagejpeg_0.jpg