headlight aiming

bgl

Hello

Ever since I have owned my Reatta. the headlights to not aim properly.  I brought this in to the local dealership, but the screws just turn, and do make any change in the position.  Are the adjusting parts available somewhere, and is this a large project to fix?

Thank you!

Another fine example of the superior service found at dealerships.........every car built sine the '50's use the same headlight adjustment scheme.  (I know new cars with composite headlights have a different system)

It is so universal the service manual does not cover it.

There are 3 parts that make up the system.   (1) adjustment screw  (2) the plastic part the adjustment screw is mounted in  (3) spring

There are 2 sets of parts for each bulb....one screw adjust UP/DOWN  the other screw adjust SIDE to SIDE

I believe all the parts are available at auto parts stores in the blister packs.  

If the plastic part has cracked and broken with age......the screw will not adjust the headlight

Hi Barney

Afterwards, I went to a body shop.  We looked at the housing.  They called a parts source, and the source indicated we needed the entire unit, housing and all.  But, it sounds a whole lot more simple than that.  Can't really see too well.  We thought that maybe the housing had a metal bolt, and so would need the entire part.  Will take off the black housing and have a look.

Thanks very much for your assistance, Barney!

They want to sell you the entire unit because it is easy to get off and they can sell it for more than just the parts you need.

I made this sketch.....easier than taking the cover off my car so I could take a photo.

The head of the adjustment screw has a groove that fits into the notch on the stainless cover on the front of the headlight bulb.

By turning the screw clockwise it pulls that side of the bulb in......turning it counterclockwise moves it out (the screw has a phillips head)

The spring keeps the bulb from wiggling around as you drive the car.

The plastic mount may vary on different cars but there are a few common mounts

That is the adjustment mechanism.........without seeing your headlight, you could have some other part broken or missing,  these cars are 27+ years old.

Can you post a photo?

headlight adjustment.jpg

• Like 1

I had my headlights disassembled earlier this year to do some detailing/bodywork

what you are trying to do is relatively easy 

Put the headlights up and pull the plugs off the bulbs ( BE AWARE WHEN YOU HOOK UP THE HEADLAMP WITH POWER IT MIGHT WANT TO DROP THE LIGHTS BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR FINGERS WHEN PLUGGING BACK IN THE LIGHTS)

remove the plastic decorative trim (4 torx screws) 

my suggestion is to take the headlamp cover off (body painted part) this is held on with 4 nuts i think are 10mm don't loose the washers and note the position of them

Barney your knowledge of these cars is exceptional but i have to respectfully point out the stainless ring is only to hold the headlamp bulb sealed beam in with 4 screws

take this off THE BACK OF IT IS SHARP and take the headlamp bulb out

the headlamp bucket is the black metal part that the bulb sits in, this has a spring for tension, pop the spring off the bucket with one of the hook tools that look like a screwdriver

at this point the bucket should be loose and can be wiggled out of the adjusting screws, the slots are at an angle, remove the bucket

the 2 adjusting screws go into plastic retainer/nuts these can be removed by compressing the clips and pushing them out the back of the housing

take the adjuster to your parts store to match up, if they don't have it you can go to an auto body supply store but you might have to buy a box of 10

reverse the procedure to install

and remember to have your headlights aimed you need to have DOT approved bulbs in with the 3 little tips on the front glass

as complicated as this sounds it is relatively straight forward