Sign in to follow this  
BearsFan315

Info on Schauer Charge Master B6612

I have a Schauer Charge Master Solid State Battery Charger Model: B6612

Does anyone know anything about it ?  What about a manual or such ??

Has a 6v/12v switch @ 6 Amp

Looks to be in great shape, they good chargers ??

tte0dJr7gZNmGp6qyFAIeTsVsstY5cC63BEtuUtQ

k0xbTkXyvAvUym-q8I6YKTlpkVGqKrS9KVwtg7p6

fX7njaoBAeu3oQ4OFPiNIdauetgcfTNSFnCtc8uh

Never seen one of these, but looks like most any Schumacher charger made in the 60s  70s.

Probably has a transformer and two diodes. 

Attach it to an automotive battery, Choose correct voltage and plug it in. If meter reads about 6 amps, good to go!

This is a manual charger, so remember to turn it off. A 6 amp rate can go for a while, though. 6 amps x 8 hours is 48 amp-hours, probably not enough to overheat a battery, but I would keep a check until you get a feel for how it works.

• Like 1

This is what, in the old days, we called a "battery charger" :P

Frank DuVal nailed it. It is a manual charger, with not much inside. There is most likely a transformer, 2 diodes (probably copper oxide, riveted to the case), an ammeter, and a switch. Thats it. There were a bunch of brands, all electrically alike except for the appearance, and even the appearance didn't vary much.

Schauer was a common brand. Yes, it is a good charger. If you connect it to a dead battery it charges it, unlike many modern "smart" chargers that will refuse to charge a battery that is dead (yes, that is really true). I don't think anyone still makes these chargers. IMHO hang onto it.

I don't know where you would get a manual, but there isn't much to it. When you first connect the charger, if the battery is really dead, it wont draw much current (look at the ammeter on the front panel). As the battery gets more charged, it will draw more current, and then as the battery is getting full it will draw less current again. As Frank says, don't leave it on forever.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks guys, yes I am Younger than some, but i do recall these from my childhood, grandparents had something similar, jsut wondering if anyone knew anything specific about it.

I will see if i can pop it open and get some pictures inside ;)

'Yes I am engineer, and yes I love to take things apart'

I too have worked on the “smart” chargers that will not charge a dead battery. The circuit was included to prevent people from charging a battery backwards. 

Weirdest failure was circuit board that was mounted by a pop rivet, also the circuit board ground. Looked good, but the connection through that pop rivet wasn’t!

these old simple chargers run for a long time. 

Yep, a transformer and two diodes. Full wave rectifier circuit. That is a circuit breaker on the bottom next to the diode holder. Diode holder is at the end of the enameled transformer wires.

Looks good inside. Blow the dust out and plug it in like my instructions earlier. 

Not too old, has three wire cord. 

Bought mine new and its still working but its been so long I can’t remember when or where I got it.  Probably Sears (another antique.)  Mine is a 4 amp.

A good rule of thumb for using a manual charger is to look at the initial amperage when you connect the battery.  When the amperage drops to half that level it is fully charged. 

I have one too... excellent quality  charger unlike the DIY'er chargers today.

I have had one too for over 30 years and it works great. Only a trickle charge so I have got other higher amp chargers now for when I am in hurry. 

Looks like a typical old time home battery charger. 6 amps will charge your battery with no chance of over charging. If it is real dead it may have to stay on overnight for a full charge. These chargers are self limiting, they start off with a high rate of charge (amps) and taper off as the battery charges up.

Never saw a manual. Not much to know, the red clamp goes on the positive, black on the negative post of battery. Choose 6 or 12 volts depending what voltage your battery is. Most of them had a green light that came on if you had it hooked up correctly, and when it was on but these lights didn't usually last long.

The ones I had all used selenium rectifiers of half the efficiency of diodes. 2 diodes would double output and a full diode bridge would double it again. Then you had to charge a 12V battery on the 6V setting. I hopped up one charger this way and it burned up my car, so if you do this don't leave it unattended.