parkertom

My clubhouse construction

With the break for COVID, I was able to take the time to put up OSB interior walls.

7D278AC5-5268-47B4-B9A2-1450270E1470.jpeg

E51923F7-D43A-4DFD-A222-035BE005E6F1.jpeg

8DC3344C-A037-4085-9B16-4C373C5F650E.jpeg

8161EFDD-8BD6-44B5-B5AC-A4D19EBB78B5.jpeg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Primer and paint went up and now I can begin focusing on some cabinets and getting things organized. I installed one side mount garage door opener, the other door is still manual.

F6F50F35-23A1-4CAF-8B4B-EA1A5A4C6906.jpeg

B238E733-3660-4578-B28A-F49EC8D36910.jpeg

F68ED60A-6961-4FBB-9FF0-6AB61E7C0852.jpeg

497380E5-F43E-4A9B-AE7C-8DCA95E36D70.jpeg

4ABE6DCF-DAF9-4912-BD7E-62583B6D9DD5.jpeg

6CE816B9-CAC2-43A2-9435-7BDC593CDCA4.jpeg

• Like 4

looks great.   

Way back you said the plan was 24 x 25....is that what you actually built?

Are the garage doors 8 ft?

My daughter just purchased a new house.   She has some grandiose plan that we move in with her as we get older.

The new house is large enough but the garage is 20 x 30 and the builder continues to build them that size while most of the new owners

have a full size pick-up that barely fits in the 20 foot depth.     If we can meet the city and HOA requirements,  we plan on building a detached

garage that will hold my stuff if I heavily downsize.   She is also planning a pool and it seems logical to combine the detached garage and pool changing room

into one.    I am thinking more like 30 x 30 maybe 30 x 40.   Also debating over a single 16 ft door or 2 - 10 ft doors.   I would also  like the ceiling to be 11 or 12 ft so

a lift could be installed.....  way too many options.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

looks great.   

My daughter just purchased a new house.   She has some grandiose plan that we move in with her as we get older.

The new house is large enough but the garage is 20 x 30 and the builder continues to build them that size while most of the new owners

have a full size pick-up that barely fits in the 20 foot depth.     If we can meet the city and HOA requirements,  we plan on building a detached

garage that will hold my stuff if I heavily downsize.   She is also planning a pool and it seems logical to combine the detached garage and pool changing room

into one.    I am thinking more like 30 x 30 maybe 30 x 40.   Also debating over a single 16 ft door or 2 - 10 ft doors.   I would also  like the ceiling to be 11 or 12 ft so

Always seems to be everyone's case. Too many options and not enough money for what you really want to build so in walks mr. compromise.  Build as big as you can.  As a car guy you will always fill it.  Especially if it has to share space with any other non car toys or lawn care equipment. 

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

looks great.   

Yes, we went with 24x25 to max out the Zoning limit of 600 square feet. Doors are 8’ H x 9’W. I placed deeper piers in locations for a future lift when I get to that point.

The 20’ deep garage on the house is why I had to build this as a condition for moving here. My 72 Electra literally fit nearly front wall to door with no room to walk by, let alone maintain it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

looks great.   

I should add...I have been considering adding a Reatta to the mix. That would fit nicely in the house garage and leave room for my wife to park comfortably nearby.

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 11:50 AM, auburnseeker said:

Especially if it has to share space with any other non car toys or lawn care equipment. 

I brought in an 8’x10’ shed and placed it behind the garage to keep from having to share space. Except in winter, when I bring the snowblower out and park it in the attached garage. Didn’t even use it this year!

Edited by parkertom (see edit history)

My present shop/garage was to be a duplicate of the one at the previous house... 24 X 40  (garage door offset to one end so the 40 ft length was divided into 20 for 2 cars and 20 for shop and tools)   Just before construction started I found a used commercial 2 post lift in doing the research on space for it, I needed more than 20 feet for the car end with the lift...so I stretched to entire structure to 24 x 44, again split the 44 ft into 22 for cars and 22 for everything else.  As we were framing the crew framed the 12 ft high car end and questioned why should we make the shop end more than 8 ft high...this would allow for more storage above the shop.

So I ended up with 1 1/2 story shop/garage and that second floor space turned out to be 24 x 22 and I finished it so I could store parts, magazines, car models etc.

Like you I needed shelter for the riding mower, and other garden stuff so I added a 24 x 16 shed roof on the shop end.   A little later I purchased a new truck and it was setting outside in the Texas sun... so I had a metal carport added to the front of the shop end (more concrete) and attached that to the shed roof, that finished out at 15 x 38...... That gives you an idea of why we would need a detached garage at the daughters should we move in with her at a later date.  

shop 2.jpg

• Like 3

E622DFA4-54A0-48FF-A8A2-01F712871D9E.jpeg

Very nice Tom, VERY nice!!!

Curious, would a 8-10 ft lean-to off the back be allowed  Tha's what my son recently did for his mowers and tools. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

E622DFA4-54A0-48FF-A8A2-01F712871D9E.jpeg

Very nice Tom, VERY nice!!!

Curious, would a 8-10 ft lean-to off the back be allowed  Tha's what my son recently did for his mowers and tools. 

I ended up doing an 8’x 10’ shed for the mower and yard tools. Some overflow parts storage too. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, parkertom said:

My 72 Electra literally fit nearly front wall to door with no room to walk by, let alone maintain it.

😬

I know your pain!   That's why my 72 lives in the 31 ft long shed!  😁

• Like 1

People on this discussion will appreciate this construction ...........

My daughter just moved to the East side of Dallas.   They are building a house next door and the picture is from that house.

What you are looking at is a space between the master bedroom and patio.... the size (inside the studs) is 3 ft by 11.5....

this is UNUSED space.   Doing the math,  that is 34.5 sq ft,  at $100 sf that is $3,450 worth of wasted space.

The only explanation for the space,  looking at the master plan,  is you can choose a patio fireplace option and it goes in some of that space...so

even with the fireplace option there is wasted space.   Once the drywall is on,  the new homeowner will never know there is usable space behind that

bedroom wall.

DENISEHOUSE2.jpg

DENISEHOUSE3.jpg

• Haha 1

Man, I'd talk to the contractor post-haste to remove that useless wall and regain the space.  Either that or create some sort of hidden entry to have a secret security space. 

• Like 1

When I built a home for a lady,  I turned every space that was dead into storage,  under the stairs,  the sides of the loft that were to low for living space and required a knee wall to support the rafters anyways.  Those alone made two huge closets. Though most weren't big walk in closets,  Great places for the homeowner's to store everything from TP to bottled water.  Ironically I finished them all inside with hardwood floors and Cedar lined.  They were pleased.  

As it is in the house above.  Makes a great room for the mice and squirrels. 

I would want access just to make sure I didn't have a place for them to build a Lodge in I couldn't access. 

• Like 2