My clubhouse construction

Recently moved with the family to a subdivision near our prior place. This location had several conveniences that made it a bit more attractive for us. It also had a 3 car attached garage and I only had a two car detached at the old house.

Of course, these homes only have a 20ft deep (barely) garage. That doesn’t leave much room to work on my 60 LeSabre or 72 Electra! So, the plan was to build a detached garage at the top of the driveway (my clubhouse).

Work started in earnest today, digging the footers. Little issue with some unmarked cable and phone lines, but they worked around them. Plan is 24x25, which is the largest the Town will allow.

A728A7AE-3555-4220-964C-9506D04A1391.jpeg

• Like 2

That’s a pretty good day’s work there.  Will you be able to build high for a good attic space or second floor?  You’ll quickly use up all those square feet!  Maybe you could install one of those handy car lifts.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard about towns that limit the size of “disconnected” buildings.  It seems like there should be some appeal or waiver process based on drawings and specs.  My opinion only but I think that size limit is overly restrictive- unless there are things like property line setback rules also limiting you.  

Will you be expanding or lengthening your driveway?   Also what kind of construction?  Looks like there might be a short concrete stem wall.

Please keep us posted on the clubhouse progress and thank you for sharing.

I had originally planned to go back further, but had to scale back when I learned about the square footage limitation. The only setback requirements were to stay 5’ off the side and rear property line. 

I will have storage space upstairs, but they don’t allow a second story either. So just has to be attic storage. I am also building a large shed behind it that will allow some storage as needed, but mainly to keep the yard and kid items from taking up garage space.

I actually have fairly high ceilings in the attached garage, so I am thinking a 4 post storage lift could work in one of the bays there if needed down the road. I am also planning for a lift in the clubhouse for repairs, though that probably won’t happen any time soon.

The top of the driveway will be extended to the new driveway. I set it off about 13 feet from the house to give plenty of access room for the back yard. That has it about 17 feet off the end of the driveway currently. There is a slight slope in the rear of the yard that will require the block to come up as a retaining wall some.

Inspection of the dug out footers today and concrete poured for them tomorrow so that block work can begin next week.

5 hours ago, parkertom said:

A parallel project, more for my wife, we are adding a screened porch at the rear of the house. She gets hers and I get mine!

Or, she gets hers so that you can get yours!

That will be a very nice and spacious screened in porch. 

5 hours ago, parkertom said:

• Haha 3

Atleast you have a little longer building season in VA than we do in upstate NY.   I made sure when we bought our new place that though it came with a 28 by 50 foot garage,  it needed to have enough space on the property to build a bigger garage. Fortunately I found something that the wife liked and fit the bill for what I wanted.  Would have been nice if the building was already on the property though as everything related to building is expensive,  especially if you are going big. 

As Joel Mentioned,  keep us posted.  We love shop builds.   He has made real nice progress on his,  while mine is moving along at a snail's pace with winter closing in. 

I wish digging around here was so easy.  I can loan you some rocks if you want to add a little more challenge. ;) This is a pile of the smaller ones we didn't bury.  There are a few more piles and rows like that around the site still.  

Around here you dig out the bucket loads of small rocks so you have room to get around the bigger ones to move them. 

IMG_2529.thumb.JPG.fdf8665130ded39955342e27df9fab63.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 10:35 PM, Mark Simmons said:

So parkertom  this town has no provision(s) at all for any kind of variances when your building is a detached structure ? I would think as long as you didn't get outrageously large they could give you some slack on the size of your clubhouse.

The Zoning Ordinance specifically limits the size of accessory buildings.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:38 PM, auburnseeker said:

Do you have to deal with an HOA as well or just the town?

No HOA, just lot covenants to match the materials (siding, roof, windows) of the existing home.

Footers were poured on November 1st. Finally, after a wet stretch, block work for the foundation began late this week. Final courses should be up tomorrow.

Back wall will have two additional courses over the sides due to the slope that is back there.

D6605077-5930-4A03-A234-628E83512793.jpeg

Looks like you are getting a good start.  You will find everything seems to take longer and cost more than you planned.  I thought I was making good progress on mine. (working by myself especially) then we got nailed with a snow storm and Steady wet well below normal weather,  that looks to be carrying over for another week atleast. The high on Wednesday is suppose to be 28.  Fortunately my dirt work is done for the year.    Send us some of your warmth.  Today we shoveled the 600 foot drive,  then i had to clean up 4 trees that fell down in the storm, and dig the plow out, to put on the tractor tomorrow as another bigger storm is headed here in a few days. 

Keep us posted.  I finally have some progress to post on my own tomorrow when I get some pictures.

• Like 1

Luckily no snow...yet. We have had plenty of rain this year though. Nearly 2 feet above the average for a whole year so far to date.

Hoping to get some rough grading and gravel in place while the sun is out next week. Trusses are being delivered on the 19th.

Don't feel bad.  The old one was full up,  so I built the new much bigger garage (60 by 72 foot clear span)  Now that is full of the equipment I bought to build it and the materials (siding trim etc.) I have yet to get up. Here is a shot of the old garage I was trying to finish off and now a shot of the newer garage.

I know one thing, everything when you go this big really adds up to expensive.  I'm trying to build it as I have the money to do so.

IMG_2186.thumb.JPG.30e50d8b2068d998a5a2ff9637ed82ee.JPG

IMG_8784.thumb.JPG.ff4b3f513fe74499e3859e8dfe24d411.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

• Like 3

13 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Don't feel bad.  The old one was full up,  so I built the new much bigger garage (60 by 72 foot clear span)  Now that is full of the equipment I bought to build it and the materials (siding trim etc.) I have yet to get up. Here is a shot of the old garage I was trying to finish off and now a shot of the newer garage.

I know one thing, everything when you go this big really adds up to expensive.  I'm trying to build it as I have the money to do so.

IMG_2186.thumb.JPG.30e50d8b2068d998a5a2ff9637ed82ee.JPG

IMG_8784.thumb.JPG.ff4b3f513fe74499e3859e8dfe24d411.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_6114.JPG

That is quite the building. A friend of mine just wrapped up a project that almost took a year, a 6 car plus center shop section that can hold 3 with additional shop space. Certainly took longer and added up to more than originally thought.

If I live long enough (I'm not that old) ,  maybe I'll get it finished. Of course I'll probably never have any spare money to fill it with cars, which was the original plan.  I just wish it was still warm outside with that grass still showing.  3 more inches of snow today.  With another 3 coming Friday.  Just can't catch a break this year. Blazing hot ridiculously wet humid summer and early fall then right into the freezer almost a month early. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:15 AM, auburnseeker said:

If I live long enough (I'm not that old) ,  maybe I'll get it finished. Of course I'll probably never have any spare money to fill it with cars, which was the original plan.  I just wish it was still warm outside with that grass still showing.  3 more inches of snow today.  With another 3 coming Friday.  Just can't catch a break this year. Blazing hot ridiculously wet humid summer and early fall then right into the freezer almost a month early. 

This year it seemed that we had a 2 weeks of spring and maybe 2 weeks of fall.  Just went from winter to summer and then summer to winter.  Here in Detroit I think I heard the weatherman say that we have been running about 10 degrees below normal this fall.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I never kept up with this. So, I will have to post a few photos now that time is back on my side with all family activities cancelled.

The framing came together pretty quickly during an extremely cold December. I brought coffee and donuts to the crew on several occasions.

93791A75-1D51-4F33-ADEC-1D07DC8FACA7.jpeg

3D8B4A11-D3DF-42CF-B2F4-C7462CBE9120.jpeg

03293CF4-B5EF-4DF2-BF44-59C4A09B51B0.jpeg

740391CC-AE15-4D70-85AB-6FC7DA109D6E.jpeg

309D5D74-4464-45DD-9868-0FE1690714D0.jpeg

1FAECEAB-A9F4-425C-AB91-3399E5A8CC79.jpeg

F6D1A812-BD85-4933-9D21-3563F60FCBE2.jpeg

• Like 1

looks great.   

Way back you said the plan was 24 x 25....is that what you actually built?

Are the garage doors 8 ft?

My daughter just purchased a new house.   She has some grandiose plan that we move in with her as we get older.

The new house is large enough but the garage is 20 x 30 and the builder continues to build them that size while most of the new owners

have a full size pick-up that barely fits in the 20 foot depth.     If we can meet the city and HOA requirements,  we plan on building a detached

garage that will hold my stuff if I heavily downsize.   She is also planning a pool and it seems logical to combine the detached garage and pool changing room

into one.    I am thinking more like 30 x 30 maybe 30 x 40.   Also debating over a single 16 ft door or 2 - 10 ft doors.   I would also  like the ceiling to be 11 or 12 ft so

a lift could be installed.....  way too many options.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

looks great.   

My daughter just purchased a new house.   She has some grandiose plan that we move in with her as we get older.

The new house is large enough but the garage is 20 x 30 and the builder continues to build them that size while most of the new owners

have a full size pick-up that barely fits in the 20 foot depth.     If we can meet the city and HOA requirements,  we plan on building a detached

garage that will hold my stuff if I heavily downsize.   She is also planning a pool and it seems logical to combine the detached garage and pool changing room

into one.    I am thinking more like 30 x 30 maybe 30 x 40.   Also debating over a single 16 ft door or 2 - 10 ft doors.   I would also  like the ceiling to be 11 or 12 ft so

Always seems to be everyone's case. Too many options and not enough money for what you really want to build so in walks mr. compromise.  Build as big as you can.  As a car guy you will always fill it.  Especially if it has to share space with any other non car toys or lawn care equipment. 

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

looks great.   

Yes, we went with 24x25 to max out the Zoning limit of 600 square feet. Doors are 8’ H x 9’W. I placed deeper piers in locations for a future lift when I get to that point.

The 20’ deep garage on the house is why I had to build this as a condition for moving here. My 72 Electra literally fit nearly front wall to door with no room to walk by, let alone maintain it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

looks great.   

I should add...I have been considering adding a Reatta to the mix. That would fit nicely in the house garage and leave room for my wife to park comfortably nearby.

On 5/3/2020 at 11:50 AM, auburnseeker said:

Especially if it has to share space with any other non car toys or lawn care equipment. 

I brought in an 8’x10’ shed and placed it behind the garage to keep from having to share space. Except in winter, when I bring the snowblower out and park it in the attached garage. Didn’t even use it this year!

Edited by parkertom (see edit history)

My present shop/garage was to be a duplicate of the one at the previous house... 24 X 40  (garage door offset to one end so the 40 ft length was divided into 20 for 2 cars and 20 for shop and tools)   Just before construction started I found a used commercial 2 post lift in doing the research on space for it, I needed more than 20 feet for the car end with the lift...so I stretched to entire structure to 24 x 44, again split the 44 ft into 22 for cars and 22 for everything else.  As we were framing the crew framed the 12 ft high car end and questioned why should we make the shop end more than 8 ft high...this would allow for more storage above the shop.

So I ended up with 1 1/2 story shop/garage and that second floor space turned out to be 24 x 22 and I finished it so I could store parts, magazines, car models etc.

Like you I needed shelter for the riding mower, and other garden stuff so I added a 24 x 16 shed roof on the shop end.   A little later I purchased a new truck and it was setting outside in the Texas sun... so I had a metal carport added to the front of the shop end (more concrete) and attached that to the shed roof, that finished out at 15 x 38...... That gives you an idea of why we would need a detached garage at the daughters should we move in with her at a later date.  

shop 2.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

E622DFA4-54A0-48FF-A8A2-01F712871D9E.jpeg

Very nice Tom, VERY nice!!!

Curious, would a 8-10 ft lean-to off the back be allowed  Tha's what my son recently did for his mowers and tools. 

I ended up doing an 8’x 10’ shed for the mower and yard tools. Some overflow parts storage too. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:35 PM, parkertom said:

My 72 Electra literally fit nearly front wall to door with no room to walk by, let alone maintain it.

😬

I know your pain!   That's why my 72 lives in the 31 ft long shed!  😁

• Like 1

People on this discussion will appreciate this construction ...........

My daughter just moved to the East side of Dallas.   They are building a house next door and the picture is from that house.

What you are looking at is a space between the master bedroom and patio.... the size (inside the studs) is 3 ft by 11.5....

this is UNUSED space.   Doing the math,  that is 34.5 sq ft,  at $100 sf that is $3,450 worth of wasted space.

The only explanation for the space,  looking at the master plan,  is you can choose a patio fireplace option and it goes in some of that space...so

even with the fireplace option there is wasted space.   Once the drywall is on,  the new homeowner will never know there is usable space behind that

bedroom wall.

DENISEHOUSE2.jpg

DENISEHOUSE3.jpg

• Haha 2

Man, I'd talk to the contractor post-haste to remove that useless wall and regain the space.  Either that or create some sort of hidden entry to have a secret security space. 

• Like 1

When I built a home for a lady,  I turned every space that was dead into storage,  under the stairs,  the sides of the loft that were to low for living space and required a knee wall to support the rafters anyways.  Those alone made two huge closets. Though most weren't big walk in closets,  Great places for the homeowner's to store everything from TP to bottled water.  Ironically I finished them all inside with hardwood floors and Cedar lined.  They were pleased.  

As it is in the house above.  Makes a great room for the mice and squirrels. 

I would want access just to make sure I didn't have a place for them to build a Lodge in I couldn't access. 

• Like 3