WHEEL CAP RESTORATION

Sactownog

They are probably a chrome plated brass skin on a zinc plated base or body. The brass can be taken off, but should be annealed first so it doesn't crack around the edges. Once off, the brass is repaired (very careful, light-handed,  hammer and dolly work). My Dodge 8 caps have 0.030" brass skins; 1939 Studebaker caps are 0.012" brass. Maybe yours are somewhere in between these thicknesses.

This question has been asked before, not that long ago, somewhere on these fora.

yeah, I was searching for the question on the forums. 

the edges of mine are either cracking or some areas are falling off. I am concerned that a few are bad enough that need to be replaced around the edges. 

i wonder if this is something someone can repair or should I just source new re manufactured ones. like on this 34

d05fb8df4378aa4d7b0fce4cc93c32f5--cover-photos-design-cars.jpg

The is actually a guy in New Zealand who produces new skins for hubcaps. Unfortunately the 34 with its arrowed ends are causing him a bit of grief. I've sent over to him a sample of my 34's and backing caps and waiting for him to finish them. Its been 12 months now and he's overseas at the moment and I'm just waiting for him to get back to finish them. Once he has done one its a matter of pressing the others out. I'll post some pics if and when I get them back.

This is a link to his site and you'll see what I mean re quality im expecting....

http://www.replicahubcaps.co.nz/

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hi Ian

I know your post is old but I too sent my hubcaps to him back in the Spring. I got an email when he got them with a promise he would start the restoration the next week. Three months later no reply to my emails and the web site has been shut down.

Did you finally get your hubcaps ?
Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yep I got mine....he goes away a lot and is really slack with replying.

Took me overall about 6 months from memory to get mine.....mind you he did have a lot of trouble due to the deep dish of the 34 hubcaps were splitting when he pressed them out.

Have you tried to ring him ?

Sorry I can't be of more help.