#12-28 Bolts

Taylormade

I’m looking for some #12-28 bolts - either hex head or slotted screw head.  My local auto shop has them up to 2 inches..  Naturally, I need 2-1/2” length.  I’ve tried Grainger, Amazon and other usual suspects with no luck.  I guess this is an odd size.  There is a plethora of #10 and 1/4” bolts in all lengths, but the meager supply of #12 resides in a small specialty box with maximum length of 2 inches.  Since I only need two, I don’t think having a batch of ten thousand made up in China works for me.  Any suggestions?

The rearmost wooden floorboard.  The four bolts along the back are just an inch long, so that was no problem.  The two front bolts pass through the floorboard and a wood block spacer before they thread into a tab on the frame.  Sometimes you just have to wonder, something this minor ends up holding things up for days.

4 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

The rearmost wooden floorboard.  The four bolts along the back are just an inch long, so that was no problem.  The two front bolts pass through the floorboard and a wood block spacer before they thread into a tab on the frame.  Sometimes you just have to wonder, something this minor ends up holding things up for days.

Interesting....my '31 has no wooden blocks under the floor. the '32s are SO different.

12-24 is the common automotive screw size, like on Delco Generator terminals.  Never seen a 12-28.

Weird hardware not found at the local hardware store, try: McMaster Carr, MSC ( Long time ago was Manhattan Supply Company), Bolt Depot, Fastenall. I see Spiney Hill linked Bolt Depot.

And, I see McMaster-Carr has 12-28 screws, but only in stainless steel button head 1" and smaller, $5 each! No wonder I have never seen them!

Why not just run 12-24 tap in holes?

Retapping to 1/4 inch is the obvious answer.  There is plenty of meat on the plate, so it should be an easy process.  I like to keep things as original as possible, but since most of it is hidden inside the wood block, I'm not going to have a coronary over it.  Thanks for all the advice.  And I tried all the outlets suggested above with no luck.  It's the length that is the problem.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Taylormade said:

Retapping to 1/4 inch is the obvious answer.  There is plenty of meat on the plate, so it should be an easy process.  I like to keep things as original as possible, but since most of it is hidden inside the wood bloke, I'm not going to have a coronary over it.  Thanks for all the advice.  And I tried all the outlets suggested above with no luck.  It's the length that is the problem.

A no brainer....................Bob