What do you think?

nick8086

I want to pull one more car out of long term storage..

The car is worth 6K  . I think it will cost me 10k to restore..

Should I do it ..  It is a one owner car.. low miles..

It is a big block from the 1968..

The only thing I need  do is the motor and transmission.. and it  need a new exhaust. 

I will not do the work..

Why should you care what others think? If you like the car, have the funds, then do it.

My intention is not to scold, but when it comes to cars you should follow your heart and not care what others think.

Fix it up and then drive it.

A lot.

• Like 1

Just the way I look at it, when your done you will have a 16k (lots of assumptions that a dollar in = a dollar out, rarely the case but can be) car that your saying you will not do the work on, so would you turn around and buy a finished version of that car today for 14k? 18k? If not, I wouldn't restore. But maybe a freshening up, see if you can get it going well for 5k and drive it/sell it? 

10 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Nick,

More information & a photo or two would be helpful. What make and model, how many miles, engine size, etc.

A '68 Mercury 4 door with a 390 engine is probably not worth the effort, but a '68 Mustang with a 390 may be.

Yes. The more high quality pictures the better. How much work should a low miles, one owner motor and transmission need ? Was something wrong mechanically when it was taken out of service ? We need to know what it is and get a very good idea of what it looks like presently.     - C Carl 

I would certainly love it (as I know others would too) if your posts were less mysterious and more to the point. The game playing gets old... My apologies ahead of time if this is viewed as being rude - this is not normal operating procedure for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is  not for sale.. I know I will spend more than the car is worth. I have not worked on it.. I do not have a place to store it.. 

I was going to take a few bucks out of the stock market.. Instead of waiting 10 years to recoup  If the  stock market drops like  2008.

And just have fun...

Someone  asked how many miles - around 68K.

I had some work done on it also.. It has new tires.shocks, brake lines, new radiator ,water pump and a  new booster. in 2014.

IMG_4484 - Copy.JPG

If you ask such a question here you will always get the same response. "If you can't restore it and make a profit it's not worth doing".  Even if it were a 16 cylinder Cadillac Custom bodied Roadster used by the Maharaja of Dumrao for tiger hunting in the wilds of India with perfect provenance since built  the response would be the same. "If it costs more to restore than it could be sold for it isn't worth doing". After all the only thing we care about here is making a profit. Beware the Philistine who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact that one is asking if they should fix it,  shows there is doubt in their own mind that it's a good choice.  Otherwise they would just restore it and show us their finished project.  They are asking for guidance from the audience where probably every one of us has had a car we bought and restored / or atleast got back on the road and wish we hadn't because it took more money and time than expected. We constantly regret doing that one car because other cars we desired much more came along,  that we couldn't buy because we were heavily invested in that car which then needed to be sold to buy that dream car.  We couldn't sell it because it wasn't finished to a sellable stage or we were buried so deep we couldn't recoup enough money to buy that better car, but could have if we hadn't squandered it on the current poor choice project. 

I say sell it as is unless it was your father's car and there is some strong personal tie to it.  It's a neat car but I see few guys lining up to buy a 60's Chrysler 4 door hardtop. Sell it to a guy that really wants it and will cherish it.   I like the mid 60's Chrysler style cars personally but just know the following is very slim.  When selling parts for these,  you can barely give them away and that's NOS chrome parts.  (that's a good gauge on the market for the cars as well) 

At least show us the car not just blurry bits and pieces and ask us to figure out what it is and if its worth the time. Only you know if something is worth your time. Looks like you're dad had one great car and a bunch of medium to low end cars that have been sitting for along time. Sell the low end cars and put your kids thru school or buy another good car with the money. Collecting junk cars that you might fix someday is just a sickness like hording anything else. Dont get sucked in or maybe you already did like you're dad and your just trying to figure out if you can make it not seem crazy. I dont know.

Just please stop doing this to us tho...

Hey guys should I restore this car?

videoblocks-steering-wheel-in-old-car-dr

What do you think this stuff is worth?

old-rusty-corroded-car-parts-260nw-74559

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billorn said:

At least show us the car not just blurry bits and pieces and ask us to figure out what it is and if its worth the time. Only you know if something is worth your time. Looks like you're dad had one great car and a bunch of medium to low end cars that have been sitting for along time. Sell the low end cars and put your kids thru school or buy another good car with the money. Collecting junk cars that you might fix someday is just a sickness like hording anything else. Dont get sucked in or maybe you already did like you're dad and your just trying to figure out if you can make it not seem crazy. I dont know.

Just please stop doing this to us tho...

Hey guys should I restore this car?

videoblocks-steering-wheel-in-old-car-dr

What do you think this stuff is worth?

old-rusty-corroded-car-parts-260nw-74559

Read this again. GREAT ADVICE!   Bob 

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I'm starting to think it's a race to keep up with post totals.

Image result for woe  typing laptop funny

I don't have that problem , as he is the one and only member I have on the IGNORE list.  He has been ban'd  on other web sites.