1925 DB Roadster Rear Shelf Trunk Access Panel Question

franklinman

OK DB experts (or at least for those more experienced with late 4-cyl. Roadsters than I) here's a question that has come up with a recent purchase of my '25 DB Roadster.  I recently purchased my first non-touring car DB.  In the top of the "shelf" behind the seat back there is an access panel that is removable by pulling up on a tab attached to the panel.  As my car has (to all appearances) it's original upholstery and top I am assuming that is correct for the car. The question is this; once the panel is removed there is nothing under it other than the trunk floor, which is quite a ways below.  It wouldn't seem to be reasonable to go through the added steps to put the removable panel in when it really doesn't provide a useful storage access.  I cannot see any evidence, or the remnants of, any kind of shelf, box, etc. ever having been below the panel in my car, and have now spoken with two other owners of '25 Roadsters whose cars are like mine.  Am I missing something or this just the way the cars were built? 

Some of the 24-25 roadsters had a box on the floor below that lid, some had a box connected to the deck up high right below the lid. I believe the high ones can be unbolted and removed. Coupes had the same setup. The roadster we had with the floor box was a really handy place to set gas cans and water jugs.

Hi Tony, Now that's an explanation that I had not even considered.  And it's pretty obvious when you think about it.  That also would pretty much make you want to have a box of some sort under the hatch so that anything wouldn't roll or slide to the rear of the trunk area where you still couldn't reach it. Fantastic!