1918 Buick

trini

:) I just thought I would like to share some news with you. Last year my buddy  bought 1918 Mc Laughlin Buick made in Oshowa , Canada . It was dry stored, and in beautiful condition, all original paint. I never asked and he never told me the purchase price. The engine was not running. On removing the cylinder head he discovered one of the pistons pin had become loose and damaged the piston. He got a new one made by Egge Machine. He replaced the clutch lining. That is the cone type clutch design that use leather as lining. The right rear  axle bearing was worn, and  damaged the axle. A machinist fixed the axle and made a new bearing. It has  a few cosmetic wear here and there and needs a new top and side curtains. The engine runs like a sewing machine. The valve train is open so he uses an oil can and pour some engine oil over it before starting. There was an issue with the carburetor, missing original spring.  What surprised me is that a mechanic who is 86 years old and is familiar with those old cars took one look at the spring and said " that is the wrong spring" He fixed the carburetor. Buying old barn finds is like playing the lottery. My buddy was lucky.

• Like 3

He is lucky because the block could have cracked , or the head for that matter. JFranklin, I will be leaving for winter vacation in a weeks time and will be back in March next year. I will try my best to get a picture and mail it to you or if you send me your email addres to me. I do not know how to upload pictures on this forum.  You see I am 821/2 years old and still learning how to use modern machines. I have to get my 12 year old grand daughter to teach me. I am going right now to try and get a picture of the Buick.

Please send me an email to hsahu8034@gmail.com.  I am in Toronto .Canada.

Cheers.   

Is it a 4 cyl. or a 6 ? I have a 1918 6 cyl. out here in B.C. A popular car when new and they still have a dedicated group of owners today. There is a very good web based owners group with lots of knowledge and enthusiasm. it is headed by Dean Tryon and is a great resource for late teens / early 20's Buick and McLaughlin owners.

Greg in Canada

17 hours ago, trini said:

It was dry stored, and in beautiful condition, all original paint.

...Buying old barn finds is like playing the lottery. My buddy was lucky.

Congratulations to your friend on getting the old Buick

running well!  Now he can spend some time enjoying it.

Here are a couple of thoughts:

If the paint is all original, and most everything else is original too,

can you keep the original top?  An original top is worth preserving

for history's sake, even if it's not so good.  Or maybe it's in tatters

and it's not practical to keep.

And I'll say happily that the old-car hobby has MUCH better odds

than a lottery.  Instead of 9,999,999 people coming out losers and

one person getting everyone's money, just about everyone who

enters the hobby comes out a winner eventually.  An owner

might not know all he's getting into, but the prize is

enjoying the car. 

• Ronnie changed the title to 1918 Buick

That's great to hear, McLaughlin literature is generally hard to find even here in Canada. I find the Heritage Alliance a bit of a mixed blessing :' good quality reproductions , however often a bit on the pricy side. Fore rare items they are usually a good bet, for reasonably common articles a original copy can often be found for roughly the same price.  Still a valuable resource but best if do your homework.

Greg in Canada

2 minutes ago, trini said:

I just learned how to upload files. I AM SO HAPPY. The pictures you see here of my 1928 Dodge  Senior

You had me scratching my head with first glance at that flathead engine! I was expecting a Buick OHV. Have fun with your Dodge Senior.

Congratulations on posting pictures. It is daunting until you see how easy it is!