Rare W-15 interior is as new...

1965rivgs

Surprised no one has discussed this car. These dont come up for sale often and ESPECIALLY in this condition! I drove this car to the annual ROA meet in Lexington KY shortly after purchasing it. The original owners of the car covered the interior with blankets when not in use. The mileage on the car is surely accurate. I sold the car to a fellow ROA member who sold it to this dealer in Florida. I`m quite sure this is the nicest W-15 interior in existence.  For the `79 thru `85 collector this is one of the rarer cars produced in that generation.

Tom

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Riviera/113284166506?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

ALL Rivieras from 1979 forward are Front Wheel Drive.  The 79 - 85 models had a  north  - south oriented engine like most rear wheel drive cars so it appears to be rwd.  I had a couple o 1983 Riviera XX Twentieth Anniversary cars with similar interiors.  If you really want to feel like you're riding in the lap of luxury, set in the suede seat, grab the leather and wood steering wheel, and surround yourself with the burled walnut.

If I remember correctly, this was bout a $1,500 option.

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

ALL Rivieras from 1979 forward are Front Wheel Drive.  The 79 - 85 models had a  north  - south oriented engine like most rear wheel drive cars so it appears to be rwd.  I had a couple o 1983 Riviera XX Twentieth Anniversary cars with similar interiors.  If you really want to feel like you're riding in the lap of luxury, set in the suede seat, grab the leather and wood steering wheel, and surround yourself with the burled walnut.

If I remember correctly, this was bout a $1,500 option.

I would of lost that bet, Ed...would of bet they were V8 RWD and I don't mean Right Wheel Drive..

Good to kno, THANKS

On 10/29/2018 at 8:35 AM, gungeey said:

Nice car probably stickered at 40K.

Steve, Rivieras were Buick's high-end car, but

over 30 years ago, they didn't even come close

to $40,000.  More like $20,000.  I remember my

father negotiating for a new 1985 Riviera, typically

equipped, and it could be had for $17,000.

That's what inflation will do over the years---

My 1986 Electra Park Avenue coupe had a base price of about $18,000. Cutting the roof off and doing the conversion added another $10,000 The records show that the original owner leased the car for at least 10 years, probably scared to tell his wife what he had done. In 1988 I made a job change and the salesman let me know he could "get me into a new Park Ave" for about $15,000. I was still suffering from visions of a new black '76 Park Ave on the showroom floor and was really disappointed in the little car he let me try out.

From the Riviera Owner's Assn website in the Evolution of the Riviera, here are the base prices for the RIvieras for the years that I could find.  Rounded to the nearest $100

1980 - $11500

1981 - $12500

1983- $15200

Conv - $24800

1984 - $15900

Conv - $25800

1985 - $16,700

I could not find any option prices for any years beyond 1979

There might be more info on the website but I didn't search too deeply.

My 1990 Riviera has a window sticker price of a little over $27000 and it's got the touring suspension, gold package, and sunroof.  Leather w/ 14 way seats, and the kitchen sink.  The website has no info for the years 1980 and later although there are "links" for those years.  I don't know when the Riviera may have approached the $40000 mark. (If ever)

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I don't know when the Riviera may have approached the $40000 mark. (If ever)

Ed

How about $38,600 fully loaded in '99 …

599448291_99windowsticker004.5.thumb.JPG.931d2057c25683b17be0bb6dd0b08ca7.JPG

The Silver Arrow almost made it. With every available option, and the SA Package ...

Probably the highest the Riviera ever got to, but I can't say for sure?

• Like 2

The Riviera W15 interior option cost $2,900 in 1985.  This is equivalent to over $6,800 in 2018 dollars.

The W15 package was installed in 647 of the 65,305 Rivieras produced in 1985, less than 1% of the production.  Please note that the largest production number for any model year Riviera was 1985.

Even higher cost was the 1982-1985 convertible which added about $10,000 to the sticker price.  This is equivalent to over $23,000 in 2018 dollars.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious what folks here that are familiar with this generation think the current market value is for this car. Its a really nice example and to me would think it would be comparable to a convertible in same condition???  Although a convertible would probably have a much larger buying pool.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Riviera/113284166506?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

27 minutes ago, JZRIV said:

I am curious what folks here that are familiar with this generation think the current market value is for this car. Its a really nice example and to me would think it would be comparable to a convertible in same condition???  Although a convertible would probably have a much larger buying pool.

Jason,

I dont think that is an apples for apples comparison. I dont know off the top of my head how many converts were made but they were available for 4 years. Judging by how many are constantly available for sale they must have made quite a few over that time period.

The W-15 cars are a different animal, much more rare and ESPECIALLY in this condition. How many W-15 cars are left with their defining feature, ie the special interior, as new?? Reminds me a little of a comparison between a typical `66 Riv and an MZ car. The MZ is also a different animal in terms of rarity.

I sold the car because the color just didnt do it for me. I dont mind the brown, but for me it has to be combined with a few certain contrasting colors...or plenty of bright work. This particular car has neither so it just didnt qualify as  car I would keep indefinitely. I considered painting the car a color which would make it a keeper for me, like black or especially the firemist champagne gold which was one of the available colors with this trim. But I couldnt and never would paint a 20K mile, original car in excellent condition.

I always imagined a Cadillac Biarritz style stainless half roof with the companion chrome trim along the beltline and across the top fender edge and still wonder if that can be easily accomplished. That would have provided the type of "bling" to wake the color up for me. But as a collector I hesitate to even change out a hose clamp on such an original car so these considerations were just playful imaginings and impractical rationalizations for keeping the car.

If this car was a different color, ie ANY of the other available colors besides Briar Brown, it would still be standing tall in Tommy`s Toyhouse! Someone is going to own a nice and very unusual car with very few comparables in terms of value. I had hoped if I sold it to another club member and Buick enthusiast that it would make regular appearances at the club meets but it didnt work out that way. Maybe if someone from the club picks it up things will still work out that way,

Tom

Is it just me or does the wood looked tacked on?  I would prefer real wood in any car instead of the fake stuff but this application just doesn't have an integrated look to it.  Everything on the dash looks too recessed as a result.  The door pulls look too delicate as well.  It is hard to compare the values of the two and if you look at the values of convertibles, they are not that much more than a hardtop in same condition with similar mileage.  The W15 production numbers are lower so does that make it worth more?  Obviously the condition of the W15 mentioned here is outstanding and worthy of a premium price.

Pat,

The "tacked on" look is the same as the 83XX interior.  I think the thickness of the real wood on the basic door panel gives it that tacked on look. I thought the same think about the XX's that I had, but the look and feel of the real wood quickly put this out of mind.  When you can see the edges of the door panel pieces, you know it's not plastic.  It does make things like the light switch, etc. look like an after thought and not easy to use.  Same with those door pulls.  Did the W15 package extend to the trunk as well?

Ed

391181-1000-0.thumb.jpg.661dd566407b81b2ced7dae307de650f.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

Is it just me or does the wood looked tacked on?  I would prefer real wood in any car instead of the fake stuff but this application just doesn't have an integrated look to it.  Everything on the dash looks too recessed as a result.  The door pulls look too delicate as well.  It is hard to compare the values of the two and if you look at the values of convertibles, they are not that much more than a hardtop in same condition with similar mileage.  The W15 production numbers are lower so does that make it worth more?  Obviously the condition of the W15 mentioned here is outstanding and worthy of a premium price.

Pat,

The reason the items in the dash look recessed is because of the thickness of the REAL wood. ALL the wood in the interior is genuine and the doors panels are also upholstered in leather. In person the interior is very impressive and that was Buick`s goal, ie, to create the type of cabin one would expect in a very high end car like a Bentley or Rolls

Tom

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Pat,

The "tacked on" look is the same as the 83XX interior.  I think the thickness of the real wood on the basic door panel gives it that tacked on look. I thought the same think about the XX's that I had, but the look and feel of the real wood quickly put this out of mind.  When you can see the edges of the door panel pieces, you know it's not plastic.  It does make things like the light switch, etc. look like an after thought and not easy to use.  Same with those door pulls.  Did the W15 package extend to the trunk as well?

Ed

391181-1000-0.thumb.jpg.661dd566407b81b2ced7dae307de650f.jpg

Hi Ed,

No, the W-15 package did not extend into the trunk area. Ironically, I never liked the XX interior because the leather has too much orange and clashes with some of the earthy browns present but in pristine condition they are both impressive interiors.

Tom

I just looked back over this listing as I havent looked at it since the auction opened. This seller could do a MUCH better presentation of the car than these pictures. As a matter of fact I`m quite sure these pics were taken by the former owner. The dealer must not be too interested in selling the car...

Tom Mooney

• Like 1