48woodie

Hershey 2018. Flea Market or Camp Ground/Parking Lot

uhhh Steve....keeping "a breast" is not the same as "keeping abreast".  Apparently Freud is still slipping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike

I can appreciate your concern, if you look at the first page of you photos/post about 3/4 of the way down, you will see a large blue van, and if you look a bit further see a large tent set up behind it. Just passed that photo you have other photos of a pair of silver cars and one has a yellow sign in the rear window. The blue van was loaded with tables, parts etc and unloaded into the tent. Was that van then supposed to be driven out and moved across the street and not left in the spaces? The silver cars belong to myself and a friend. Both were loaded with parts as well, and the yellow sign on the back of one says we are set up under the same tent across the aisle. I had open heart surgery this past year and was just lucky to be there at all. However, I still did put out tables of parts under the tent on the opposite side, as I have for the past 5+ years. I did not walk around at all due to the weather and my current health condition - on the mend, but highly restricted as to activity.

So, was I supposed to unload, then park my car across the street and walk in, even though I have field space stickers that are meant for that exact use?  If I did, I probably would have wound up spending my time that week in the Hershey Medical Center.

As mentioned, I can appreciate your concern, you are there to look for parts and not look at parked modern cars. But perhaps if you surveyed the situation a bit better or asked questions, you may have understood better why some of the modern vehicles were were they were.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

But perhaps if you surveyed the situation a bit better or asked questions, you may have understood better why some of the modern vehicles were were they were.

The point of this conversation is to address YOUR concerns and make the field layout and space allocation BETTER and more efficient both for YOU and your CUSTOMERS. What could be changed to improve Hershey for both you and your customers? The question is being asked. Do you have some constructive ideas? ...............Bob 

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

I think that if the rows were identified better it would be a big help for people trying to find vendors. The 3 x 3 inch white stickers on the ground with the space numbers are ok but at the end of each row seem to be large barrel like trash cans. If a 8 1/2 x 11 white card stock piece of paper had just the row letters on it , it would help, also any trash can in that row should also have a similar white card stock paper taped to it with the row letters. To take it a bit further each vendor should get one of these pieces of card stock and letter their space number on it and tape it to the front of their table or back of their parked car, van , truck etc. it will identify the space so much clearer. This would be an added expense but make it a lot easier to find out where you are.

I suggested to CCCA for the past 2 years to give each of their members who take a space in the flea market a similar 8 1/2 x 11 card that has "Join CCCA" in large letters printed on it , and give them each a half dozen club flyers with membership application info. If they tape that to their table perhaps it would generate some interest of they could be directed to the club spaces. I even went to the point of going through a directory of vendors and making the list of CCCA members and their spaces that I saw. Early in the week some CCCA members / club officers could go to that list and divide it up and then deliver the sign and membership brochure. Free advertising and the more you see s name mentioned the more you start to think of how many people do belong to a organization and why. This suggestion never got done, oh well.

The best way to solve this is to limited the amount of window stickers. Why does anybody with 4 spaces need 4 stickers?  I bet a lot of the vehicles on the field the owners don`t belong to AACA.  I have 4 spaces but only 1 vehicle.  Hershey changed after 911 . Check the old video`s for the 90`s when all the rows were packed. There was excitement in the air and you didn`t want it to end.  Every year between fall Carlisle and Hershey I go to Adamstown  Antique Capital of Pa.  This year on Sunday was like a ghost town unbelievable.  This was my 32nd year vending at Hershey and I will continue and enjoy what I have.

• Like 2

Thanks Walt. How about field lay out? Would you rather buy one larger space rather than several small ones? Would you pay higher rent for a better location? What percent higher? Would you be willing to take a less desireable location for a discounted fee? Should commercial vendors pay more? Less? How about space location, aisle size, grouping of like vendors, numbering system, cost structure as it relates to space size, non vendor vehicle parking, pseudo-vendor vehicle parking, since an admission fee of the cost of a cheese steak ($8)  would gross the club $2,000,000/year should there be an admission charge for non vendors? how about a food price cap, location of porta-potties, cleanliness of porta-potties, golf carts for able bodied, and on and on and on. Any opinion on any of the above?

Anyone else?.......... Just asking...........................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Hey Bob

Good questions. For me personally I am happy with where I am across from my bro in law, and by now most people who i annually see/visit with or sell to know where to locate me. This is the second set of spots we both have had and what we could manage to get after the place in the field we were in  became non existent due to the Giant Center being built.  Yes, I have been attending Hershey for a long time ( next year will be 54 years in a row if I make it health wise which I am told I will as of now) . All is good and thank you for thinking of issues, questions etc I never even considered since most do not affect me. Hershey this year despite very little walking around was THERAPY for me, the fact I could just be there at all was amazing. All is good because we all love old cars. I was allowed to drive a car with manual steering again for short trips and took my 1930 Packard out for a few miles drive between rain drops , next is the 1940 Buick. This may be a small thing to most people but I wasn't allowed to drive for nearly a year after surgery. Keep well all and thanks again Bob for the good questions.

WG

• Like 2