Hershey 2018. Flea Market or Camp Ground/Parking Lot

48woodie

I would like to start out that The Hershey Fall Meet has the Best Car Show, Flea Market and Car Corral in the world and I wouldn't miss one. The Hershey region has a huge task planning, organizing and running this show. They do a great job year after year.

Last year after the Hershey Fall Car Show / Flea Market I made some comments about the use of  Vendor Spaces for Campers and parking.

There were definitely some mixed reviews.

This year the use of Vendor Spaces for Parking and Camping seems have gotten worse.

On Wednesday afternoon while walking through the Red Fields shopping for parts I took some photos of Campers and Car/Trucks using the Vendor Spaces for Parking and Camping (there are some photos of the Chocolate Fields mixed in).

It clearly states in the Hershey Regions "Vendor Registration Information"  under # 4 that "No Flea Market spaces are to be used solely for camping or parking". See attached.

Mike

Screen shot 2018-10-28 at 11.52.49 AM.png

Edited by 48woodie (see edit history)

Mike (a.k.a. 48Woodie)...why did you start another thread here?  You now have 2 threads on the same subject.

Again,  you said last year and thanked me for the advice to just have a face-to-face talk with the Hershey Region people at their tent.  Your answer was nonsense saying you had spoken or contacted the "hierarchy of the AACA".  Well this is not the Hershey Region who hosts the meet.  Appears you have a "roll around" response to the many suggestions people submitted on the original deleted thread to include not speaking face-to-face wotj the people at the Hershey Region tent.

(Last suggestion:  Save yourself time next year by using this year's photos.  I think it would be really amusing if all these cars, trucks and camper photos will be of the vehicles when they turn 25 years old.  Young people will appreciate seeing them...? )

Regards,

Peter J.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Hey Mike,

thanks for putting up photos of some of my spaces!, I guess the cars parked behind the Cosworth Vega  for sale is what bothered you?, Too bad you did not take a photo of the other six spaces we have across the aisle that was packed with stuff for sale. Any chance did you see the guy who scraped the driver side of the car for sale with his scooter? 

Oh by the way the guy with empty u haul had sold it's entire contents and delivered it Tuesday to another vendor

Mike you and every other spectator do not pay a dime to walk around, now if you paid admission you would have a valid point to make and argument! Parking is not admission either!  

Mike did you go there to have fun or look for a problem? Only you can answer that question. I stopped going to Carlisle 25 years ago because I did not enjoy it, many of my friends still do. You asked a question you were told who to contact and still find a need to complain.... 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Before I get any more rude comments like" Maybe you should stay home" or "Why don't you stay home and shop on eBay" or "If it's to far for you to walk why are you there" or "Why don't you contact the Hershey Region?" I would like to give you a little background on my self.

I purchased my first car when I was 14. It was a 1935 Pontiac Convertible. By the time I got my drivers license it was rode worthy. Through high school I probably owned another 25 antique cars. Since high school I have owned close to another 75 antique cars. From a 1903 Ford to a 1950 Spohn. There have been many Buick's, Pontiac's, Plymouth's, Chevrolet's, Ford's, many Woodie Station Wagons, Chrysler Town and County Woodies, Nash's, Cadillac, Muntz Jet, Midget Racers, Cadillac's, Model T's and A's, etc.. Some I restored, some were survivor drivers, some I sold and some I still need to restore. I love the Antique Car Hobby.

I went to my first Hershey Fall Meet in 1976 at the age of 18. I drove by myself and slept in the back of my El Camino in  7-11 parking lot. I have only missed two since. One when my Father died and the other when I was going through cancer treatments.

In the late summer of 2013 I was diagnosed with cancer. I went through 6 months and caner treatments and had to miss the Fall meet of 2013. At the end of the treatments was down to 119 lbs from 190 lbs. I was barley able to walk to the bathroom with out help. I made some goals. Get back to work in my shop and make it to the 2014 Fall Meet. I started by just walking the 50 feet to my shop.  After about a month I was able to sit in the shop and plan which car I was going to restore next. After 4 years I can now work full days at my hobby.

My next goal was to make it to the Fall 2014 Meet. I made it but I never made it out of the Chocolate Field. I would walk one row then take a break. I spent most of my time in the Woodie booth or in friends booths sitting. But I was there ! I made it ! 

This is probably when I first noticed all the Campers and Cars using the Vendor Spaces for parking and camping. When you only have so much energy to use walking the market you what to use it looking at actual Vendor Spaces. I remember looking down an aisle and making the decision on whether it was worth my time to walk down that aisle.  Being Handicapped that first year back mades me see things differently.

I had plans to stop a the Hershey Regions booth this year but I had to leave Wednesday night due to a death in the family.

Since last year's Meet I have tried to contact the Hershey Region by phone and by email about my concerns. They have never responded. 

It has been mentioned that the Hershey Region does not read these Threads.  They do read them. One of the times I called the Hershey Region they referred to me as "Oh, you're That Guy". I also spoke with the hierarchy at the AACA and I was told that they have read this Thread.

If the Hershey Region advertises 9,000 Vendor Spaces then there should be 9,000 Vendor Spaces. If they say no Camping or Parking in the spaces then it should be enforced. There are Camp grounds and parking right across the street. Park your vehicle at the back of your space and vend in front. If advertise that you are open Wednesday thru Saturday then you should be. What about all they people that can't take the time off during the week and show up on Saturday only to find half the vendors are gone. Or the students that can only come on Saturday.

I would like to see aerial photos from the last 10 years to compare.

It's obvious that there is some abuse with the use of spaces being used solely for camping and parking.

Believe me, I don't what to be "That Guy". But this needs to be addressed by the Hershey Region.

And I understand that Vendors have to use the bathroom, go to meetings, go to events, volunteer there time, they want to shop, have to unload and load their vehicles, that it rains, that they have to eat food, etc.. Have have been vending at different Flea Markets for 40 years, so I do understand.

I love this hobby and I what it to be here for generations to come.

Now go ahead and rip into me,

Mike

3 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Mike (a.k.a. 48Woodie)...why did you start another thread here?  You now have 2 threads on the same subject.

Again,  you said last year and thanked me for the advice to just have a face-to-face talk with the Hershey Region people at their tent.  Your answer was nonsense saying you had spoken or contacted the "hierarchy of the AACA".  Well this is not the Hershey Region who hosts the meet.  Appears you have a "roll around" response to the many suggestions people submitted on the original deleted thread to include not speaking face-to-face wotj the people at the Hershey Region tent.

(Last suggestion:  Save yourself time next year by using this year's photos.  I think it would be really amusing if all these cars, trucks and camper photos will be of the vehicles when they turn 25 years old.  Young people will appreciate seeing them...? )

Regards,

Peter J.

I started a new Thread because the first one was removed ???????

I have tried to contact the Hershey Region many times but have not gotten any response.

I did not have a chance to get to the Hershey Regions space this year because I had a death in the family and I had to leave Wednesday evening. I will try again to contact then by phone and email.

Mike

2 hours ago, John348 said:

Hey Mike,

thanks for putting up photos of some of my spaces!, I guess the cars parked behind the Cosworth Vega  for sale is what bothered you?, Too bad you did not take a photo of the other six spaces we have across the aisle that was packed with stuff for sale. Any chance did you see the guy who scraped the driver side of the car for sale with his scooter? 

Oh by the way the guy with empty u haul had sold it's entire contents and delivered it Tuesday to another vendor

Mike you and every other spectator do not pay a dime to walk around, now if you paid admission you would have a valid point to make and argument! Parking is not admission either!  

Mike did you go there to have fun or look for a problem? Only you can answer that question. I stopped going to Carlisle 25 years ago because I did not enjoy it, many of my friends still do. You asked a question you were told who to contact and still find a need to complain.... 

At $ 16.00 a day to park, that is an admission fee. That's $ 80.00 for the week. But it's worth it. I guess it's almost cheaper to get a Vendor Space to park.

I have been going to Hershey for 40 years. I have a great time and get to see many things that can't see anywhere else. I will keep going until I can't physically do it.

I have tried countless times to contact the Hershey Region with no response. Phone calls, emails nothing.

Mike

So the vendor count at hershey is decreasing. It seems there is no reliable data by what amount. The aaca seems to be saying its the hershey regions problem, talk to them. The aaca seems to find denial preferrable to quantifiable facts. A few forum commenters seem to feel that club loyalty and zeal will carry the day. At least one moderator seems to feel adult conversation is not in our best interests and we are to be shielded by the power of deletion. The fact that there is no admission charged seems to mean that since hershey is free negative comments are not warrented. Free may not seem like such a good deal to the guy that bought air line tickets, a hotel and took off 5 days of work to walk a field of pick up trucks and campers. He likely won't be back.

The fact that 9000 + vendor spaces are sold does not address the longer term health of the flea market. At some point unless a way is found to staunch the flow of a field of parking spaces instead of actual vendors hershey will collapse, or nearly so, under its own weight.

I dont have the answer to the problem but someone should at least acknowledge there is a problem and start looking for answers.

Whistling past the grave yard and deleting uncomfortable comments is actually PART of the problem........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog
grammer/spelling (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 48woodie said:

At $ 16.00 a day to park, that is an admission fee.

Mike

Not al all, my friend put 4 people in the car and now it's $4 to park. Leave your car at the hotel and get a cab or an uber and just walk in the gate and nobody charges you a dime! So there is no admission and don't confuse that with parking.

I am just amazed that you would travel there for one day just to take photos to support an argument that nobody seems to siding with you. If you think getting a vendor space is a financial advantage then why don't you get one? Park your car and put something out to sell and enjoy the day.

There are a lot more bigger problems in life as you pointed out then to go there for one day to take pictures to support your cause, that nobody seems to care about.

Why don't you rent a scooter? The group of 10 guys I am with there are a few who have the same fight as you have health wise. They rent a scooters so they can enjoy themselves and see everything,  In some of 'selective photos' some of were of our spaces two of those vehicles belong to guys who have health issues and arrive late and leave early to their hotel park on the other side so we don't have to move things for them to get out. My point is Mike other people have problems, but they make the best of it, just a thought.

The reason I referred to your photos as selective If you turned your position 15 degrees to the left you would have seen nothing but vendors selling, but that would not help your cause. 

3 hours ago, 48woodie said:

I started a new Thread because the first one was removed ???????

I have tried to contact the Hershey Region many times but have not gotten any response.

I did not have a chance to get to the Hershey Regions space this year because I had a death in the family and I had to leave Wednesday evening. I will try again to contact then by phone and email.

Mike

Mike,  your original thread titled:  Hershey 2017.  Swap Meet or Parking Lot / Camp Grounds??? is still here and has not been removed.  Only moderators can delete posts or threads and I am not one.  With all the phone calls and emails you claim to have sent to the Hershey Region I would think you could at least have a few names of whom you spoke to or send copies of the emails.  Trying to help you but without some facts it would be for naught.

Peter J.

One last word, it seems someone deleted my last post so maybe this one will fly.  Neither the club or region gets a dime for parking.  Unlike a lot of big shows you pay to park and you pay a gate fee. These shows are not cheap to put on but the fall meet as all other AACA meets do not charge a spectator admission.

The empty spaces and spaces that there is no vending going on is a serious problem.  No one should be saying it is not.  All the stakeholders in this event need to do everything possible to ensure that there is less and less of this problem.  Hopefully, we will find solutions that work for all. As I sated about the empty spaces, we heard from a lot of vendors that the problems from the past hurricane and the threat of the one at the beginning of the week kept them away. 

I think we all want the same thing, a strong and vibrant flea market.  It is up to us to make it happen.

P.S. The point I also tried to make in my last email was that the several rows of cars after cars was the region worker parking!  These folks give up vacation time and work their butts off for us to have a show.  Giving them a couple of rows of parking close to where they have to work for the day is not too much to ask as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 1

Its not like the vehicles in the photos are taking slots that vendors would have if they werent there. I would actually like to see a way to condense the fields into something where you can have vendors closer together but I see why thats hard to do. I do not think these modern vehicles are taking the place of vendors or old vehicles. There are still alot of people there which is a good sign. Yes there should be a way to better manage the spots or to condense the field so that empty spaces dont stay empty. Maybe that will happen next year when the red field goes away. Right now Im happy these guys show up I dont care what they are driving. It has been this way as long as I can remember and as long as other hobbyists are willing to get out their stuff and drag it across the world to get to Hershey it should be OK for them to park their cars and trucks in their space.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, John348 said:

Not al all, my friend put 4 people in the car and now it's $4 to park. Leave your car at the hotel and get a cab or an uber and just walk in the gate and nobody charges you a dime! So there is no admission and don't confuse that with parking.

I am just amazed that you would travel there for one day just to take photos to support an argument that nobody seems to siding with you. If you think getting a vendor space is a financial advantage then why don't you get one? Park your car and put something out to sell and enjoy the day.

There are a lot more bigger problems in life as you pointed out then to go there for one day to take pictures to support your cause, that nobody seems to care about.

Why don't you rent a scooter? The group of 10 guys I am with there are a few who have the same fight as you have health wise. They rent a scooters so they can enjoy themselves and see everything,  In some of 'selective photos' some of were of our spaces two of those vehicles belong to guys who have health issues and arrive late and leave early to their hotel park on the other side so we don't have to move things for them to get out. My point is Mike other people have problems, but they make the best of it, just a thought.

The reason I referred to your photos as selective If you turned your position 15 degrees to the left you would have seen nothing but vendors selling, but that would not help your cause. 

John,

I arrived on Monday and shopped Tuesday and Wednesday. I had to return home Wednesday evening due to a death in the family. Normally I would stay through Saturday.

My health and strength are back and I am able to walk the show again. For the first year back from my treatments I parked in the Handicapped parking lot just East of the Red Field. I only had to walk across the street.

Yes, other people have issues.  Walking all that extra distance past all the campers and all the spaces being used by Healthy people to park is an issue.

Just a thought,

Mike

15 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Mike,  your original thread titled:  Hershey 2017.  Swap Meet or Parking Lot / Camp Grounds??? is still here and has not been removed.  Only moderators can delete posts or threads and I am not one.  With all the phone calls and emails you claim to have sent to the Hershey Region I would think you could at least have a few names of whom you spoke to or send copies of the emails.  Trying to help you but without some facts it would be for naught.

Peter J.

Peter,

I started a new Tread a few days ago with the same title as this one that was deleted.

I have called the phone number provided on their web page and have left messages. I have called that same number and the receptionist says: " Someone will get back to you." (this would be the same lady who referred to me as "That Guy". I have also emailed the address given on the web page...same result...no reply.  There are no names of people because no one has gotten back to me.

Mike

8 hours ago, billorn said:

Its not like the vehicles in the photos are taking slots that vendors would have if they werent there. I would actually like to see a way to condense the fields into something where you can have vendors closer together but I see why thats hard to do. I do not think these modern vehicles are taking the place of vendors or old vehicles. There are still alot of people there which is a good sign. Yes there should be a way to better manage the spots or to condense the field so that empty spaces dont stay empty. Maybe that will happen next year when the red field goes away. Right now Im happy these guys show up I dont care what they are driving. It has been this way as long as I can remember and as long as other hobbyists are willing to get out their stuff and drag it across the world to get to Hershey it should be OK for them to park their cars and trucks in their space.

It's not a question about parking their cars in the spaces that they are actually vending out of. It's the people that buy spaces just for parking.

Mike

17 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

So the vendor count at hershey is decreasing. It seems there is no reliable data by what amount. The aaca seems to be saying its the hershey regions problem, talk to them. The aaca seems to find denial preferrable to quantifiable facts. A few forum commenters seem to feel that club loyalty and zeal will carry the day. At least one moderator seems to feel adult conversation is not in our best interests and we are to be shielded by the power of deletion. The fact that there is no admission charged seems to mean that since hershey is free negative comments are not warrented. Free may not seem like such a good deal to the guy that bought air line tickets, a hotel and took off 5 days of work to walk a field of pick up trucks and campers. He likely won't be back.

The fact that 9000 + vendor spaces are sold does not address the longer term health of the flea market. At some point unless a way is found to staunch the flow of a field of parking spaces instead of actual vendors hershey will collapse, or nearly so, under its own weight.

I dont have the answer to the problem but someone should at least acknowledge there is a problem and start looking for answers.

Whistling past the grave yard and deleting uncomfortable comments is actually PART of the problem........Bob

Dear Bob,

Thank you.

Mike

1 hour ago, 48woodie said:

It not a question about parking their cars in the spaces that they are actually vending out of. It's the people that buy spaces just for parking.

Mike

I'm not sure of your point.  I vend at spring and fall Carlisle.  We have four contiguous spaces, one for the camper, one for the truck, and two for vending. Do you call that two for "parking"?

• Thanks 1

I walk the entire show every year.    

I enjoy doing it but it sure gets old walking down entire rows with just a few tables out and the rest being parked cars.  Or a truck will pull up and 4 guys bail out leaving an empty truck without any junk for sale.  I see it all the time.  

The vending spot next to us has been empty for a couple years but it was a parking spot for at least consecutive 5 years before that.  

I thank Mike for showing some these pictures even if it pisses off some of the offenders.   I bet enough money is changing hands that nothing will ever become of it.  

3 hours ago, Janousek said:

I walk the entire show every year.    

I enjoy doing it but it sure gets old walking down entire rows with just a few tables out and the rest being parked cars.  Or a truck will pull up and 4 guys bail out leaving an empty truck without any junk for sale.  I see it all the time.  

The vending spot next to us has been empty for a couple years but it was a parking spot for at least consecutive 5 years before that.  

I thank Mike for showing some these pictures even if it pisses off some of the offenders.   I bet enough money is changing hands that nothing will ever become of it.  

Thank you,

Mike

4 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I'm not sure of your point.  I vend at spring and fall Carlisle.  We have four contiguous spaces, one for the camper, one for the truck, and two for vending. Do you call that two for "parking"?

If the rules for Carlisle are the same for Hershey then yes.

I just looked at the field maps with the vendor space grids. It appears to me that the available area is laid out with identical sized spaces in a more or less "if it fits put it here" manner. In that case vendors buy whatever adjoining spaces they can for thier needs. If that's the case the vendors, rather than the controlling entity, are actually chopping up the show field with out a master plan. That's why some rows are empty or have campers. Some head to head, some side by side, some catty corner.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have an idea of the total area required for the different kinds of vendors, and their needs, and have different sized and located spaces for rent. The guys with the land barge campers would have a general area, the pick up campers another, day traders another etc etc. and all would have adequate vending area for their "stuff". The smaller vendors would all have a vending area with a parking area directly behind it. All parking would face each other across an open aisle as would the sales area. That way a buyer would look down each aisle and he would see alternate aisles of sales items or parked vehicles. It would half the wasted walking and make the whole operation more efficient and certainly more user friendly for both buyers and sellers.

Surveys would need to taken, budgets generated and funds allocated, numbers and spread sheets generated, cost benefit analysis performed, computer plans run etc etc etc. There would be bitching and complaining that would need to be assuaged.

The above would be true of any master plan to advance the Hershey show and it likely should be done in stages with necessary tweaks made as required.

The above is just a quick grab at an idea to make the show more appealing to more people. Certainly there are other and likely better ideas. Where are they? Cat got everyone's tongue? Time for planning and action.

The alternative is to let nature and evolution run it's course unimpeded. Ask the dinosaurs how that worked out.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog
additional thoughts (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I just looked at the field maps with the vendor space grids. It appears to me that the available area is laid out with identical sized spaces in a more or less "if it fits put it here" manner. In that case vendors buy whatever adjoining spaces they can for thier needs. If that's the case the vendors, rather than the controlling entity, are actually chopping up the show field with out a master plan. That's why some rows are empty or have campers. Some head to head, some side by side, some catty corner.

Interesting thought there Bob. This could explain a LOT when it comes to the layout of the fields.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have an idea of the total area required for the different kinds of vendors, and their needs, and have different sized and located spaces for rent. The guys with the land barge campers would have a general area, the pick up campers another, day traders another etc etc. and all would have adequate vending area for their "stuff". The smaller vendors would all have a vending area with a parking area directly behind it. All parking would face each other across an open aisle as would the sales area. That way a buyer would look down each aisle and he would see alternate aisles of sales items or parked vehicles. It would half the wasted walking and make the whole operation more efficient and certainly more user friendly for both buyers and sellers.

Surveys would need to taken, budgets generated and funds allocated, numbers and spread sheets generated, cost benefit analysis performed, computer plans run etc etc etc. There would be bitching and complaining that would need to be assuaged.

Ahhh, the alternating rows suggestion trimacar posted last year. GREAT idea. This would keep parking close for vendors and organize vendors into more single walkable rows that would cut down on NEEDLESS walking for CUSTOMERS. Would appear to be a WIN-WIN. Wonder why this was not considered after last year's show when this idea was suggested then???????  I wonder if Hershey Region has been looking into Flea Market Management computer software like I suggested last year????  The Booth Tracker Software and other products like it would be a great way for Hershey Region to work smarter not harder when it comes to the flea market.  

BTW, if there are "parking spaces" that are not needed by vendors in some of these parking rows then Hershey Region could "Decentralize" their volunteer parking and use these available spaces for their volunteers on each of the swap meet fields. That would mean even LESS WALKING for the hard working volunteers working that particular field. 

Cat got everyone's tongue? Time for planning and action.

The alternative is to let nature and evolution run it's course unimpeded. Ask the dinosaurs how that worked out.............Bob

There were a number of good ideas posted in last year's thread on this subject. I suspect some that posted last year felt is was a waste of time to do it again this year after how they were received and/or ignored.

Well Bob, you asked for it so here is the list of suggestions I made last year.

Since we are talking about the swap meet layout maybe the following suggestions should be considered as well.

Car Club Tents on Vendor Spaces.  

How about gathering all the Car Club Tents in the Swap Meet TOGETHER in the same row(s) instead of spreading them out amongst vendors trying to sell parts???  If these tents are in a few rows, signs could be placed at the end of the rows. These signs could be nothing more than two big pieces of wood hinged at the top so they are free standing. Clubs could then thumbtack 8.5"x11" signs on this wood to advertise they have a space in the row and when their club activates are taking place. This wood sign could also note that there are No Swap Meet Vendors in this row so swap meet buyers/customers could skip the row(s).
Maybe clubs could reconsider when they hold their meetings/gatherings and have them late in the day if they are not already doing so. That way vendors who want to attend the meetings would not be closing up shop during prime selling times.

Commercial Vendors (ie Coker Tire, Universal Vintage Tire, Snappin Turtle Tie Downs, Meguiars, etc).

- How about grouping them all in rows on the same field? To some extent this is done already with Coker Tire, Universal Vintage Tire on the same field.

- How about grouping the vendors that sell trailers, trailer accessories (ie tiedowns including Snappin Turtle Tie Downs, etc) and the vendor that always has a big display of trailer tires and accessories?

- How about grouping the vendors that sell tools, sandblasting cabinets, paint equipment together? 

- What about grouping all the companies that offer services together? (ie chroming businesses, restoration companies, car radio repair companies,

upholstery companies, etc). Many of these companies/vendors come to Hershey every year so organizing them should be more predictable and thus easier.

Antique Insurance Companies. 

How about grouping these companies together (Hagerty, JC Taylor, etc). This would make it easier for their current customers to find them to conduct business. It would also make it easier for potential new customers to shop for insurance instead of walking MILES to visit these companies currently scattered ALL OVER the fields. Doing this might increase exposure for these companies and increase sales due to customers being able to find them in a much more timely manner than they can now.

Increasing Vendor Sales

I have seen a number of posts by vendors about decreasing and/or lackluster sales. If one reads posts in this forum from prior years this trend appears
to be happening for the last 5 or 6 years now. 

A couple of weekends ago my next door neighbor had a yard sale on a Sunday. Another neighbor had one as well. My next door neighbor used technology for her sale by using the Facebook Marketplace to list information about her sale and to post photos of items she was selling. Her sale was an BIG SUCCESS with 98% of her sales the DIRECT RESULT of Facebook Marketplace. The other neighbor that did not use technology had literally no sales to speak of. This example got me to thinking that Swap Meet Vendors at Fall Hershey could use Facebook Marketplace to boost their sales.

While it is true some vendors and AACA members do not have smartphones I saw PLENTY of vendors and buyers using smart phones this year.
Do vendors even know about Facebook Marketplace? Do they have any clue as to how posting some of their items on the Marketplace would open them up 
to a MUCH BIGGER potential customer base and attract YOUNGER Customers whose money is just as Green as us older folks? What about using Craigslist to advertise your vendor space at Hershey? There is a Swap Meet section on Craigslist that I see some people use for Fall Hershey and Carlisle. One again ,use Technology to Work Smarter Not Harder to make it easier for customers to find the products you are selling WITHOUT spends 2-3 days walking 15-20 miles.

Those vendors that are not familiar with Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist could seek out younger family members or friends that could help them post information about their Swap Meet space goodies that are For Sale.

Better Information for all Fall Hershey Attendees - Information Signs.

How about posting signs at each of the Main Spectator entrances to the swap meet?  One sign should include the RULES OF THE SWAP MEET. IE no riding of bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, etc. Making an announcement over the PA systems every few hours is Okay but that is SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH.

Another sign might simply post the question... Looking for parts, accessories, etc???? The Fall Hershey Program available for purchase

has a comprehensive list of vendors and is available for purchase. This sign could also tell people to check out Facebook Marketplace and/or the Harrisburg Craigslist site to see Fall Hershey Vendor information.

If posting these signs at all the spectator entrances is too much them post them in High traffic areas (ie where the main groups of Food Vendors are located and/or at both ends of the footbridge).

People who have NOT been to Fall Hershey much before have No CLUE AT ALL about the rules and could really use some help finding parts which would also boost sales of the Fall Hershey Program book and usage of Facebook Marketplace & Craigslist. 

=============================

I took a LOT of photos of some items along with the vendor space location tag and texted that information to other car enthusiasts I know. Some were at Hershey and went to look at and/or BUY the items. Other friends could not be at Hershey so I offered to buy the items for them. In some cases these photos/texts resulted in SALES. 

Charlie

• Thanks 1

The subject Hershey is always an interesting topic, of course, but I don't think any comments or suggestions on this forum will change things one iota.

Regardless of the difficulties noted, people keep coming, vendors keep selling, buyers keep buying, friends keep friending at Hershey, and it's the highlight and culmination of many hobbyist's year.

The Hershey Region will have it's hands full this coming year just trying to plan for the stadium remodeling or demolition.  A good chunk of the Red field won't be available.  I doubt they'd have time to start moving people around to give better access to vendors.

The other issue is that it's a logistical nightmare, once you move one person, then two more have to be moved, then four more have to be moved, and so on.

• Like 1

Lots of interesting suggestions above  that are certainly worth exploring and discussion. Interested folks might want to copy them before they disappear down the deletion black hole.

My guess is little will get done other than a bit of hand wringing, followed by denial, then "it would never work" and finally the CLASSIC " We've always done it this way".

And so the AACA Titanic blithely sails into the waiting night.......................Bob

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Bear in mind that those parked vehicles likely belong to buyers. I will start to worry when those spaces are totally empty.

Oh, they are becoming empty.  

What sucks for us in the Orange field is lack of traffic.  I personally know several guys from different clubs that don't cross the bridge anymore.  Well, those guys using the chocolate field for a parking lot slow down or eliminate our traffic if they are incapable doing the entire swap meet.   Maybe those of us on the "other side of the tracks" could get some action.  Traffic on our side isn't hardly worth bringing anything anymore.  

• Like 1

I have been vending at Hershey for probably 40 years with my parents and AACA club friends with RV's. Since the Green Field Days when it was grass and now the Red Field, we have had three RV's on four spaces. One of the spaces is used for vending only, two have parts along the RV's and one is solely for parking one of the vendor's RV. This allows us to watch each others spaces. We sometimes sell enough to pay for the spots, none of us are there for profit when you consider fuel cost from Ohio.  We generally set up on Tuesday and start packing around 4 PM on Friday. Next year I hope to find a space to put my 1912 McLaughlin Buick and trailer in to show at Hershey where I first saw it in 1972 when the show was in the Stadium and take on the Hangover tour along with displaying in the flea market. This will also allow me to bring some more parts for sale in the trailer. If the rules change that vendors can not have RV's in the swap meet area, a large percent of the vendors will not come to Hershey including the three of us. I do agree that vendors that have one or more spaces should be using some of them for vending not just parking. I have couple friends in the Orange Field that use two spaces for parking and two for vending. They are close but not next to each other. They prefer to vend together so someone is always at the spot. Trying to move them next to each other would be preferable but would mean moving others that probably like their location. Sometimes, health issues prevent vendors from coming thus an empty space or sold to a parker for that year. I think the best answer is Hershey Region putting in very large bold print that vendors are expected to bring antique car parts and related items for sale in at least on one of their spaces. Maybe announcements over the speakers next year would help.  They should keep the enforcement language in place but as a volunteer organization, we all know that is the last resort as they are doing this for fun too. I think small things like encouragement of vendors would be better than major changes that could bring bigger problems. Keep in mind most of the vendors at Hershey are in the hobby for fun and only vend at Hershey just like the first ones around the stadium in 1955!

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tomcarnut said:

I have been vending at Hershey for probably 40 years with my parents and AACA club friends with RV's. Since the Green Field Days when it was grass and now the Red Field, we have had three RV's on four spaces. One of the spaces is used for vending only, two have parts along the RV's and one is solely for parking one of the vendor's RV. This allows us to watch each others spaces. We sometimes sell enough to pay for the spots, none of us are there for profit when you consider fuel cost from Ohio.  We generally set up on Tuesday and start packing around 4 PM on Friday. Next year I hope to find a space to put my 1912 McLaughlin Buick and trailer in to show at Hershey where I first saw it in 1972 when the show was in the Stadium and take on the Hangover tour along with displaying in the flea market. This will also allow me to bring some more parts for sale in the trailer. If the rules change that vendors can not have RV's in the swap meet area, a large percent of the vendors will not come to Hershey including the three of us. I do agree that vendors that have one or more spaces should be using some of them for vending not just parking. I have couple friends in the Orange Field that use two spaces for parking and two for vending. They are close but not next to each other. They prefer to vend together so someone is always at the spot. Trying to move them next to each other would be preferable but would mean moving others that probably like their location. Sometimes, health issues prevent vendors from coming thus an empty space or sold to a parker for that year. I think the best answer is Hershey Region putting in very large bold print that vendors are expected to bring antique car parts and related items for sale in at least on one of their spaces. Maybe announcements over the speakers next year would help.  They should keep the enforcement language in place but as a volunteer organization, we all know that is the last resort as they are doing this for fun too. I think small things like encouragement of vendors would be better than major changes that could bring bigger problems. Keep in mind most of the vendors at Hershey are in the hobby for fun and only vend at Hershey just like the first ones around the stadium in 1955!

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

28 minutes ago, tomcarnut said:

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

Tom,

The rules are no campers or cars using spaces solely for camping or parking. Read #4.

You can park across the back of your spaces and sell in front of the space. I see a lot of people putting out a card table with 5 things on, I wouldn't think this counts.

Mike

Screen shot 2018-10-28 at 11.52.49 AM.png

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

Here's a thing that I think about....

I have never vended at Hershey, but I think would like to next year to liquidate my literature collection. What kind of spots am I going to get? Am I going to stuck out on the east 40 somewhere with poor traffic, while these decent spaces are taken up with nothing in them? I realize I can be listed in the program and people could find me by looking at the Literature listings. But not everyone buys a program - I don't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldsfan said:

Here's a thing that I think about....

I have never vended at Hershey, but I think would like to next year to liquidate my literature collection. What kind of spots am I going to get? Am I going to stuck out on the east 40 somewhere with poor traffic, while these decent spaces are taken up with nothing in them? I realize I can be listed in the program and people could find me by looking at the Literature listings. But not everyone buys a program - I don't.

This is what happens to our group in the orange field.   This year the foot traffic was almost nonexistent.  I applaud all the volunteers that make this event happen.  I don't like to be negative about any of it but some consolidation would be nice.  I just know as long as someone is paying for the spot then eyes are gonna look the other way.  Money and pride not to the shrink this large event are hard to overcome.  

I also don't mind the little scooters for the disabled, but the golf carts this year seemed to be a problem.  I had one run up the side of my foot.  Luckily for me it didn't do anything but just because your dragging a beer can doesn't mean you have the right away over foot traffic.   I thought for a while I was at the old Auburn auction park.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Janousek said:

This is what happens to our group in the orange field.   This year the foot traffic was almost nonexistent.  I applaud all the volunteers that make this event happen.  I don't like to be negative about any of it but some consolidation would be nice.  I just know as long as someone is paying for the spot then eyes are gonna look the other way.  Money and pride not to the shrink this large event are hard to overcome.  

I also don't mind the little scooters for the disabled, but the golf carts this year seemed to be a problem.  I had one run up the side of my foot.  Luckily for me it didn't do anything but just because your dragging a beer can doesn't mean you have the right away over foot traffic.   I thought for a while I was at the old Auburn auction park.  

I noticed this year that most electric golf carts and scooters did not have dragging cans making noise.  ??

Mike

8 minutes ago, 48woodie said:

I noticed this year that most electric golf carts and scooters did not have dragging cans making noise.  ??

Mike

Oh well...can't have everything, Mike.