studeboy

Babcock

I noticed that there is not much information on here about the Babcock car of Watertown, NY so I thought I'd post this picture from a 1976 newspaper. The fine print says it is a 1910 Model 30. The picture is taken in front of the company offices.babcock.thumb.jpeg.c86c7f251bc960c041465490953f1cf4.jpeg

• Like 1

The Watertown historical society has a small museum, and a 1910 Babcock identical to the one pictured is in the museum.  It was restored by White Post Restorations in the late 1980's.  I know, because I worked there at the time, and did the interior and top.

Beautiful car, nice runner, although I doubt it's been run much in the last 25 years or so....

It's actually the Jefferson County historical group, here's website...

https://www.jeffersoncountyhistory.org/    

• Like 1

I wonder if that is the same 1910 Babcock that lived here it town in the 1960's? It was in the Boston area before that and in hobby events up there in the early 1950's when Dr. Henry Minot owned it. Bob 

I have the book, Cars made in Upstate NY by James Bellamy which mentions a  Babcock owned by Ralph DeAnglis of Stamford, CT. and possibly one other. The book was published in 1989.

7 hours ago, paul55 said:

I have the book, Cars made in Upstate NY by James Bellamy which mentions a  Babcock owned by Ralph DeAnglis of Stamford, CT. and possibly one other. The book was published in 1989.

7 hours ago, paul55 said:

Same Babcock, Ralph bought it from Dr. Minot, I gave Ralph the lead on it. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

There is another, unrestored, 1910 Babcock in the Washington DC area, or at least there was 15 years ago.  It may have moved elsewhere by now...

Thanks for the correction. The car was labeled as Babcock by the Jefferson County Historical Association.  i see now a plate on the firewall clearly says Stearns. They had another roadster labeled as Babcock. When I blew up the picture it is a Baker Electric. I wonder, were both these cars bodies made by Babcock? They made bodies for a lot of makes.

I have been researching Babcock for almost two years now. We have a 1926 Ford Model T with a Babcock Estate Body on it. There is a brass body tag on the body and a brand burned into the wooden canopy frame. Just this morning I finally got confirmation from Ford that it’s a prototype that was never delivered back to Ford. Kind of looks like a disgruntled employee may have just taken it when he got let go.