1941 Olds 4 door Puchase, pro's & Cons

Durant Mike

Recently I came across a friend who had two 1941 Oldsmobile 4 door sedans, not sure of the model, but has the straight 8 engine in it.  Never saw one before and I was amazed at the size of the car. Both cars had plush back seats with a fold down center arm rest. Both were in fairly good condition and didn't appear to have any rot and have been sitting in a garage for a number of years. Both are in primer and one has the engine out for the rebuild before the owner passed away.  One has the Hydramatic the other 3 on the tree. It looks like the Hydramatic transmission car has the original interior in pretty good shape.  It looks like it would be a great car to drive on tours, plenty of room and very comfortable and with the straight 8 would be able to do highway speeds.  I'm not familiar with Oldsmobiles of this age. I probably could get one for a decent price, but is there anyone that works on these transmissions anymore. Also you don't see many of these out there, Parts hard to come by?  The car with the Hydramatic has all the chrome and trim pieces in good shape and in a box.  What's the pro's and con's of restoring or ownership?

Mike, they are really good fun cars and great for touring.  Yes, the are some people that are able to work on these transmissions.  Quite a few of these cars on the highway and there are a decent amount of owners in the NAOC or OCA that probably could help you.  Fusick Automotive specializes in a lot of early Olds parts as well.  Like any car of this era you might end up with more $$$ than they are worth but you will have twice that back in the restoration process and touring plus you don't see that many at events you would attend.  Most owners that I know were happy with them.  I had a 40 for awhole but standard trans and it was a great car.