92 Century Wagon

JohnD1956

Cleaning out the doors has made a major improvement, although the odor problem is not fully solved.  It may just be that the interior soaked in that foul scent for a long time and needs a little while to shed the stigma.  But as soon as possible I need to do the door seals. I still have wet rugs after rainfall. And  I have seen a few other cars of this era and lineage, which showed  the factory did indeed cut the door seals on 45* angles in the corners.  But the odor does go away after the windows are opened to let it air out.  It becomes unnoticeable very quickly when driving it. 

Meanwhile the last tank of gas resulted in 21.5 mpg,  and I think that may improve once I get new plugs and wires into it. 

cleardot.gif

• Like 1

If you park it for the winter, open a bag of charcoal briquets and let the bag just sit on the floor board then close the car up tight.  In the spring when you open it back up, it will be fresh inside.  Don't be tempted to open the doors and check on it while it sits.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, RivNut said:

If you park it for the winter

Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen.  lol...It's already saved 800 miles on the Regal GS.  And I love that I can park it anywhere and not worry that some inconsiderate individual will ding a door or whatever.  Plus I like the fact that it's 26 years old and is still willing to be driven daily with a top quality ride experience.  It really drives great and I am enjoying it immensely! 

Among it's few detractions are the fact that the seat padding has hardened and it's lopsided.  But a kitchen chair pillow has made that a non issue.  And the drivers door needs a new hinge pin and bushings causing it to strike the latches with a dull thud.  Minor stuff considering its accumulated mileage. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Unfortunately, that's not gonna happen.  lol...It's already saved 800 miles on the Regal GS.  And I love that I can park it anywhere and not worry that some inconsiderate individual will ding a door or whatever.  Plus I like the fact that it's 26 years old and is still willing to be driven daily with a top quality ride experience.  It really drives great and I am enjoying it immensely! 

Among it's few detractions are the fact that the seat padding has hardened and it's lopsided.  But a kitchen chair pillow has made that a non issue.  And the drivers door needs a new hinge pin and bushings causing it to strike the latches with a dull thud.  Minor stuff considering its accumulated mileage. 

Pretty much the same reasoning that I use for rationalizing having large Marge. I did have the padding in the driver's seat redone though.  

20170907_083744.thumb.jpg.ffc5ca874c46e1e76f5c5c8e5a89ec2c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took a temporary step to combat what feels like a cross-fire issue.  I talked with the seller recently who indicated his aunt probably did minimal preventative maintenance and as such I should consider the plugs and wires as originals.  And since the car runs fairly well, with a bit of an engine rocking at idle only, I figure the wires at least should be replaced.  But I don't want to do that with old plugs and I do not want to break off a plug at this time of the year.  So I installed the plastic wire loam on the three back plugs today.  And it's already smoother.

Here is the product that I've bought in Walmart, in the auto radio section.  It's only a few bucks but these 3 wires and some extra little bits, took a package and a half to complete.  All you need for this assignment is a scissors and some work gloves.

IMG_1843.thumb.JPG.178a1b75af5b3b070d166d0e5a87bffa.JPG

This is what I am facing.  The three wires to the left take a route that could lead to many places they could be cross-firing and or just leaking spark.

IMG_1844.thumb.JPG.97c7001a7681756d2f32b61dfccf703a.JPG

IMG_1846.thumb.JPG.e8354eb28e19aed6fefd3b06a8654261.JPG

The wire loam is split it's length so its a simple process to open the split to enclose the wire and just push it through to it's destination.

IMG_1847.thumb.JPG.ae4c75fd5228feed3b0805b16d5da3ad.JPG

And here is the finished package.  I added a zip tie to the separator because the top half of that is missing and I did not want these to come loose while they are so close to the fan of the alternator.

IMG_1848.thumb.JPG.c5eb696fcf3b759957910822cda57522.JPG

Note in the picture above that I also put a short piece on the edge of the bracket  which is underneath where the wires sit.  Just added insulation from a heat source.

I went only so far as the 2nd factory separator as that one is still in one piece and it's too cold outside to mess with opening that up.  Besides, the separator appears to be a nice unit with an integral rubber insulator, and after this insulator the wires split up without crossing each other.

IMG_1849.thumb.JPG.6f73b7fbc3041cf56a1000fc63c0885d.JPGIMG_1850.thumb.JPG.0a37d650141ce3681f0c4c352b3b4e0a.JPG

The whole process took less than a half hour and resolved the rough idle.  And these loams are reusable when  (if) I replace the original wires. 

BTW, I did this on my 56 years ago.  All the way under the spark plug covers. I did remove the two insulators in the factory brackets so I could slot the covered wires back into their original position.  But I'm not worried about getting that, or any of my car, judged.  I just want them to go down the road with no issues.

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

2K miles saved on the Regal GS so far!  And it just seems to be better all the time.  I recommend buying one if you find it.  Although I'd try to stick with 92-93 for the 3300 engine. 

It has amazing pep and pickup and that's with a 180K reading on the odometer! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Finally started the spark plug replacement process.  With no other documentation available, it appears to me that the plugs had to be changed once, but probably before 2010.  At any rate, I broke one wire on the left side of the motor, which faces forward in this transverse power unit vehicle.   So I am waiting on a set of wires before tackling the right ( rearward) side since I was not able to get any of those wires off with a firm tug or two. 

The plugs I  am removing are clean burns, and the gaps have burned open by an additional 8 thousandths.  Even with the repaired broken wire and only 3 new plugs, it feel better and smoother.  So I am looking forward to getting the other three done soon. 

BTW, a few weeks ago I had taken the car out to Binghamton, which was about 300+ mile round trip, and averaged 26+ MPG.  It still has the snow tires on it.  Too bad it is too small to pull a trailer. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Hi John, those rear 3 spark plugs are a real pain!  For the 3.1 in my old Chev Lumina I had to unbolt the top engine mounts, put the car in gear (of course without it running) and let the car roll forward to tilt the engine forward. Still had to lay across and feel for the plugs but had just enough room to get my hands and tools back there. Have fun!

It is not at all like that with the 3300 V6 Doug. There is room to see the rear plugs on this one. The problem is the connection boots are stuck on the plugs and the clip will likely break before the wire comes off. I had planned on new wires eventually but just wanted to be sure the plugs would come out without breakage before spending any more money on this car.  The front three plugs were very tight but did come out without breaking.  So hopefully the rear three will cooperate as well. 

After struggling with those rear wires for almost an hour I tried some long handled needle nose pliers with looped ends. Discovered the fit right down near the valve cover edge and they grabbed the heat shields tightly. Then using the valve cover as a fulcrum the wires popped off easy peasy...sheesh😎The rear plugs came out just like the fronts too. 

And the project is all done with noticeable results...guess I have no excuse for failing to address a few other things now.😎

• Like 1

@dmfconsult  

Check out the roomy spark plug area with a 3300 V6

1754142338_6-21electracruise(4).thumb.JPG.2d940c1c3942726e42a4d65e86501b0a.JPG

139140835_6-21electracruise(5).thumb.JPG.1d11d5a76a5529da39c62f1eff8056e8.JPG

I could get my hands on those rear spark plugs, but then there wasn't enough room to pull the wires off.  Plus the heat shields spun around on the spark plug boot preventing the boot from twisting and breaking the bond that forms between it and the plug itself,  after several years of wear and tear.  

Wow, that is amazing @JohnD1956 there wasn’t near that much room on my 1997 Lumina!  Luckily they had titanium plugs that supposedly lasted 60k miles. The 3100 had two “dog bones” like the one in the picture next to your distributor block. Both had to be disconnected to roll the engine forward.  Super fun for the neighbors to watch me attempt it!

• Haha 1