Find the Buick

Elpad

Northbound "Hospital Curve" on US 101.  My best friend from St. Ignatius HS in SF was killed in an accident there while I was in Vietnam.  He was driving a VW bug that was crushed by a recklessly-driven southbound car that went airborne and crossed over the line.  Thirty years later, a K-rail barrier was installed.... 

Thanks for the emoticons, Elpad and Neil.  I drove that same stretch both ways every working day for over 25 years to/from SFO Airport with very rarely a painful memory of Riley S's early demise.  I suppose it was the 1950s cars in the photo that triggered my recollection, because we graduated in 1960 and he died in 1967,

The "Hospital Curve" sobriquet comes from SF General Hospital immediately to the west, now Zuckerberg (yes, the Facebook guy) SF General Hospital, and also for locals the number of major crashes there over the years.  History is what it is, for good and bad.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Elpad said:

I will keep the Buick & the VW window bus and I will give you the Pinto and the Pacer

The Buick for sure.  I see a few Datsun B210.  Rusty buggers  but were a great car.  Sign me up for the green Pontiac coupe and the 18 gazillion window VW bus in the back.        

• Like 1

At first I thought it was a California scene because there were so many older cars with the few new ones. I note a '69 Cadillac and possibly a 70 Chevy coming at us in the picture along with cars as old as the '56 Chevy on the right and '58 Plymouth on the left, which compliment the '59 and '60 Buicks. 

But these were good times in the USA. Many folks were always buying new cars to keep up with the neighbors, so surely this had to be a western scene.

Then I noticed the road sign says Palisades Pkw 1 so this is most likely Fort Lee New Jersey, just off the George Washington Bridge, looking west. Site of the infamous Bridge Gate scandal, which   is largely accredited with sinking NJ Gov Chris Christie's presidential aspirations.  And I am still astounded at the number of older cars in use in 1969/70 in this affluent area!  Great picture!

• Like 1