You don't see this every day...

plymouthcranbrook

I had a 300 Amp Hobart stationary welder of similar vintage. He's right about laying welds with it. DC with reversible polarity and would run rods that an AC buss box would not. It did drink it's share of gasoline though. Dandy Dave! 

9 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I had a 300 Amp Hobart stationary welder of similar vintage. He's right about laying welds with it. DC with reversible polarity and would run rods that an AC buss box would not. It did drink it's share of gasoline though. Dandy Dave! 

Dandy Dave, I agree with the thirst of those devices. My experience was with a Lincoln Tractapack powered by a Holden 202ci engine, and my abiding memory of that thing is it's ability to consume drums of fuel! It did a good job, though, for all that. Very handy, I found, for welding tyre levers into the broken chassis frame on our Bedford truck, following a mishap out in the bush.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JACK M said:

That thing has been on for awhile.

An interesting piece but no one wants it.

Yeah. I bought the gas powered 300 Amp welder I had at an auction years ago for one US Dollar. Put $100 in it at the time for brushes and welding cables and ran it off and on when the little buzz box was too far from the job, and away from a 240 Volt electrical Socket. Dandy Dave!